Worlds of Design: When There's Too Many Magic Items

If you’ve GMed a long-standing campaign where players reached fairly high levels, you may have run into problems of too much magic, or of too many low-powered magic items (such as +1 items) in the hands of the heroes. What to do?

While you could simply buy up the surplus, there are other ways that don’t put lots of gold in character’s hands. These methods can be built into a game’s rules (as in Pathfinder 2 “resonance”) or they can be added by the GM.
[h=3]Limit the Supply (i.e., limit ownership)[/h] The proper game design way is to severely limit supply, as could be done in a board game. No magic item sales. Middle-earth is an example of a world with very few magic items.

But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? New GMs, especially, will tend to give away too much “to make people happy.”

But that’s a setting thing, not rules/mechanisms. An RPG designer doesn’t control the setting, not even his or her own.

In these days where “loot drops” are the norm, where every enemy in a computer RPG has loot, it’s really hard to get players accustomed to a severe shortage of stuff to find. So limit usage, or provide ways to use up the small stuff.
[h=3]Limit Usage[/h]
  • Tuning to just three (5e D&D)
  • Resonance
  • Easy to come up with other methods
5e D&D’s tuning of magic items to characters is one of the best rules in the game, at least from a designer’s point of view.

Pathfinder 2 beta was using resonance (level plus charisma), whereby use of a magic item uses up some of your resonance for the day, until you have no more and can use no more magic until the next day. It was more complex than that, with you “investing” in items that could then be used all day. There are lots of ways to use the idea.
[h=3]Destroy Them[/h] The D&D method was fireball or LB with failed saving throw. But that was so all-or-nothing that even I didn’t like it. Moreover, the tougher characters tend to end up with even more magic items, relative to others, because they fail their save less often; that may not be desirable.

Have everything (most, anyway) wear out. This is a hassle if you have to track something like charges or uses. I assign a dice chance (or use a standard one for a type of item), and the player rolls after each use (or I do, so the player won’t know until the next time they try to use the item). When the “1" comes up, the item is done, finis, kaput (unless you allow it to be “recharged”). For example, 1 in 20 failure rate is obvious; roll a 1 on a d20, that’s it. With two dice you can make 1 in 40, 1 in 50, whatever you want. If you want armor, shields, and other passive defensive items to wear out, rolling once per combat might do.
[h=3]Burn Them Up[/h]
  • My Skyrafts
  • Furnace Helms in Spelljammer
  • Rituals?
I devised something called Skyrafts, made of segments of Skystone (of course), that could slowly fly when powered by magic items. So you could sacrifice something like a +1 sword to get X miles of travel, X being whatever a GM wishes. The more segments (carrying capacity) in the Skyraft, the more magic it consumed. Yes, this could be expensive, but if your world has become infested with +1 items, this is a way to get rid of them.

Furnace Helms in SpellJammer accomplish the same thing, but only if you’re running a Spelljammer campaign.

You could also devise powerful ritual spells that consume magic items.
[h=3]“Enforcers”[/h] These are people who seek out wimpy characters with magic items much too powerful for them, and take them away. I don’t do this, as it doesn’t make much sense to me. But it could in some contexts.

I'm sure others have devised yet more ways to limit the influence of magic items.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How do you think all the fine artwork that exist got created? Because people paid money for it.

Not at a store. Wealthy and some middle class individuals commissioned the artwork. Or the artist just painted a lot and his works bought here and there by the wealthy and middle classes. One didn't just go down to the corner artwork store and buy fine art.

And just because magic items are rare doesn't mean they are not traded. Quite the opposit. There would not be a regular trade with them aka a market stall for +1 swords, but when someone wants to get rid of a +1 sword he would easily find buyers. And people who are able to make magic items would have a steady work supplying nobles, rich folk and the occasional prestigious company with lower level magical items like +1 or +2 weapons and armor, with the occasional high level item for a king.

No. One might possibly find a +1 sword, or one might not. If I want a Rembrandt, there's no guarantee that I can just go out and find one easily that someone is willing to part with. The odds are it will take me much longer to find one, than most adventurers spend in any particular city.

And of course like any industry magic item making would at one point centralize and there you can buy and sell magic items easily.

Assuming magic item making is easy peasy, sure. In a game set in Eberron, that would likely be the case. In other settings, not so much.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There is one big difference between magic items and art. They are made to be used and serve an actual, often life saving, purpose. Thus the demand for magic items would be a lot higher than for art.
So don't compare magic items to art, but with well made weapons and armor. Still rare and expensive, but readily available for people with money. Chain Mail was very time consuming to make, yet still encountered on the battlefield. The same applies to well bred destrier etc.

You're assuming that there are lots of adventurers monster fighting, and that magic items are easily made. Read your mythology and you'll see that even with heroes and monsters all over, magic items were still very rare. They just didn't go have one whipped up, even though they helped keep the heroes alive. Magic items in D&D are much closer to art, due to rarity, than to fine weapons and armor.

You also forget another thing. A magical item you have no use for is useless to you when no one can afford it. So no matter how rare it is, you will have to lower the price until someone can buy it. Or you move somewhere where people have more money. Either way, the price will go down until "trade happens".

Why? I wouldn't throw my magic items away like that, and neither would most reasonable people in a D&D setting. Better to just keep the items and perhaps hand it down to someone in the family who can use it later, or just make it an heirloom. Or maybe hold onto it until you find someone with an item to trade so that you get equal value. It would be foolish to just drop the price down until it becomes affordable.

... Read your mythology...

What? I don't think I've ever played in a D&D game that was based on actual mythology. No orcs, no gobilns, gods running around having sex and producing offspring, etc. Your point about rarity was interesting and valid for a lot of game settings. But mythology? It's a great source of monsters and plots. Not so much a source for economic realities.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What? I don't think I've ever played in a D&D game that was based on actual mythology. No orcs, no gobilns, gods running around having sex and producing offspring, etc. Your point about rarity was interesting and valid for a lot of game settings. But mythology? It's a great source of monsters and plots. Not so much a source for economic realities.

This is an evasion. We're discussing real world economics and such to justify, using real world mythology as an example of how just needing items doesn't mean they will be made in large numbers is reasonable in this discussion. If you are going to dodge mythology, you need to also dodge real world economics and trade in order to avoid hypocrisy.

This is an evasion. We're discussing real world economics and such to justify, using real world mythology as an example of how just needing items doesn't mean they will be made in large numbers is reasonable in this discussion. If you are going to dodge mythology, you need to also dodge real world economics and trade in order to avoid hypocrisy.

But people don't play real world mythology. Show me "typical" D&D fighter artwork that looks like a Spartan warrior. Most D&D games are a vague veneer of medieval/renaissance European culture but with modern social moors (regarding diversity), economic theory (name a pre-1700s person who could tell you about supply and demand), and laws. There's nothing mythological about those things.

As I said, you can argue magic items should be scarce. But mythology is not the basis for that desire. Most mythologies says all magic items are unique, created for a known purpose, and given to mortals by the gods for a specific reason. If there are two +1 longswords just languishing some dungeons somewhere in your game, you have diverged from the mythological ideal. Maybe there are tables where the DM only gives out magic items in the way the myths say, but I think that style of play is extremely rare.

And again, if your table is that way, more power to you. If that's what brings your players back each time, great. I've never seen it. But the original article is about dealing with too many magic items.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
You're assuming that there are lots of adventurers monster fighting, and that magic items are easily made. Read your mythology and you'll see that even with heroes and monsters all over, magic items were still very rare. They just didn't go have one whipped up, even though they helped keep the heroes alive. Magic items in D&D are much closer to art, due to rarity, than to fine weapons and armor.

Depneds on what mythology you read. King Arthur, for example, seemed to have gobs of magical items all over the place.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But people don't play real world mythology. Show me "typical" D&D fighter artwork that looks like a Spartan warrior. Most D&D games are a vague veneer of medieval/renaissance European culture but with modern social moors (regarding diversity), economic theory (name a pre-1700s person who could tell you about supply and demand), and laws. There's nothing mythological about those things.

They don't play real world economics and barter, either. D&D has more real world mythology in it than real world economics, by the way. In D&D you can find all sorts of mythological creatures, races and magic items, as well as many real world mythological pantheons and heroes.

As I said, you can argue magic items should be scarce. But mythology is not the basis for that desire.

You said that since magic items are needed to survive, there would be lots of them. I pointed out how that's not necessarily true, and pointed to real world mythology as an example. Magic items can be hard to make and therefore, not made in any great numbers even though they would aid in survival.

If you want to make magic common as dirt for your game, go for it. You can have a magic item economy that way for sure. For me, I'm going to keep them rare to preserve the magical feel of them.

There is one big difference between magic items and art. They are made to be used and serve an actual, often life saving, purpose. Thus the demand for magic items would be a lot higher than for art.
So don't compare magic items to art, but with well made weapons and armor. Still rare and expensive, but readily available for people with money. Chain Mail was very time consuming to make, yet still encountered on the battlefield. The same applies to well bred destrier etc.

I said you could only carry the comparison so far. My comparison was for the rarity / availability / cost and market size. Magic weapons and armor are far above well made armor and weapons. The tip of a pretty steep pyramid in terms of the available supply. And for not much more in the way of protection. +1 isn't that much above regular armor. The cost is way above regular armor. Not for soldiers and the like. If you are making magic armor or weapons it would have to be on commission. Or you'd starve. And there wouldn't be that many commissions. There are only so many (rich) nobles and adventurers who could afford it. The supply of royals is pretty limited too. You might just be better off making ordinary weapons and armor. Maybe dabble in the odd commission. I'm reasonably aware of the medieval economy and the value of items in it.

You also forget another thing. A magical item you have no use for is useless to you when no one can afford it. So no matter how rare it is, you will have to lower the price until someone can buy it. Or you move somewhere where people have more money. Either way, the price will go down until "trade happens".

If it's that valuable you probably won't sell it. At least not in a hurry. This assumes both parties want trade to happen. It's voluntary.

So as long as there are people who can make magic items there will be trade with them as selling them will be their income. In addition adventerurs, mercenaries or even looters will sell their spoils as will people who have fallen on hard times or otherwise value money more than magic.
No, there likely won't be magic shops except for potions etc, but when you have the money and connections comissioning a magical item will not be a problem as will dropping of an item you do not need any more at the local quartermaster, steward, rich merchant, etc. for a nice sum of money without much problems.
Restricting magic item trade it both silly and frankly unnatural. Thats simply not how human societies work.

It depends on how easy they are to make, how expensive they are to make, availability of said items, and the number of people who can afford to buy them. To exercise demand (in economic terms) you have to desire the item and be able to afford it. If no one can exercise demand (to reverse this argument) no one will produce the items. Maybe the trade in found / recovered magic items undercuts any producers and meets the existing demand. Too many variables. Without figures on cost, availability (including found items and produced) and market size we are just whistling in the dark. Mind you, it's fun :)

And you also do not need an industrial revolution for there to be an industry. Cologne was a center for plate mail production and Venice was well known for their glassmaking, not to mention their famous Arsenal that could build one warship a day with an early form of the assembly line (although that was one of a kind).

I know. Roman industry put medieval industry to shame btw. My point is it's not the modern industrial system of massive quantities of relatively inexpensive items. It's clustered groups of artisans and craftsmen in a single location which meets the needs of their craft by providing the raw materials and labor needed to specialize in a certain product. With the advantages that highly specialized labor has. None of that made plate armor or Damascus steel weapons cheap.

Somewhere the magical item crafters will gather and grow from there, either because people there are rich and trade flowed through the city or because there was ample access to raw materials. Either way, they would grow like other weapon industries would as the demand for magical items would certainly be there in a monster infested world.

Maybe, for reasons mentioned above. What's really in demand in a monster infested world is (high level) hero types. No matter how well you arm and armor those low level soldiers a dragon's breath is still death :)

Unless of course we're talking Orcs and such... common weapons will do then! And that high level guy may be overly expensive...

*edit* For the usual spelling and grammar issues...

Last edited by a moderator:

You said that since magic items are needed to survive, there would be lots of them.
I said that? No, I said magic items improve your chance at survival and thus you make use of them ASAP. They aren't a necessity. But you also don't put off using them for days unless you have no choice about doing so. By 5th level, the dangers of magic items are less of an issue and you can just try them out with little fear.

I pointed out how that's not necessarily true, and pointed to real world mythology as an example. Magic items can be hard to make and therefore, not made in any great numbers even though they would aid in survival.

If you want to make magic common as dirt for your game, go for it. You can have a magic item economy that way for sure. For me, I'm going to keep them rare to preserve the magical feel of them.
I haven't said anything about what I do in my games. And the word economy does not imply stores and magic item factories.

But how rare is rare? I'm arguing about the "mythology" part of your desire for rarity. In myth, magic items are not rare, they are unique. They are given to mortal by the gods for a purpose. They often ask for the items back when the purpose is fulfilled. The rarity and uniqueness of magic items in myth is nothing like how magic items are in D&D. By RAW, in a mythologically based game, all magic items would be legendary and there would be no other magic items at all. I don't think anyone plays like that. That is not "rare". That is practically non-existent. Your statement that you prefer "rare" does not jibe with the comparison to myths.

I specifically said you can always play the way you like but I'd be surprised if you were making all magic items in your game legendary. There must be a potion or two in there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I said that? No, I said magic items improve your chance at survival and thus you make use of them ASAP. They aren't a necessity. But you also don't put off using them for days unless you have no choice about doing so. By 5th level, the dangers of magic items are less of an issue and you can just try them out with little fear.

I haven't said anything about what I do in my games. And the word economy does not imply stores and magic item factories.

But how rare is rare? I'm arguing about the "mythology" part of your desire for rarity. In myth, magic items are not rare, they are unique. They are given to mortal by the gods for a purpose. They often ask for the items back when the purpose is fulfilled. The rarity and uniqueness of magic items in myth is nothing like how magic items are in D&D. By RAW, in a mythologically based game, all magic items would be legendary and there would be no other magic items at all. I don't think anyone plays like that. That is not "rare". That is practically non-existent. Your statement that you prefer "rare" does not jibe with the comparison to myths.

I specifically said you can always play the way you like but I'd be surprised if you were making all magic items in your game legendary. There must be a potion or two in there.

They are not all legendary in mythology. Nor are anywhere near all of them given by the gods to mortals. The Arabian Nights is a good place to look for magic items that are rare and not god given. As are the Anglo myths, and Norse myths, and more. Sure, you will also find a lot of god given items, but there are also many made by mortal smiths and dwarves, and others.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases