D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There's also this part:

[NEW] Official Rulings
Official rulings on how to interpret rules are made here in the Sage Advice Compendium by the game’s lead rules designer, Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford on Twitter). The public statements of the D&D team, or anyone else at Wizards of the Coast, are not official rulings; they are advice. Jeremy Crawford’s tweets are often a preview of rulings that will appear here.

The Sage Advice is a little (OK a lot) more vague than I would've liked, but the official ruling, as Blue said, does seem to allow for shield shoving after one attack only, whereas Crawford's old tweet that is now officially not official clearly didn't.

You can read both the Twitter ruling and sage advice ruling as both being true. Unless there is an actual reason you have for not doing so it’s just wishful thinking that the sage advice ruling is at odds to the Twitter ruling.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You can read both the Twitter ruling and sage advice ruling as both being true. Unless there is an actual reason you have for not doing so it’s just wishful thinking that the sage advice ruling is at odds to the Twitter ruling.

You can read them both as true, but that assumes that they changed the wording even though they wanted the same result. I find it more likely that they changed the wording to reflect what they wanted. Which seems that the triggering action needs to be initiated before the trigger can go off.

FrogReaver

You can read them both as true, but that assumes that they changed the wording even though they wanted the same result. I find it more likely that they changed the wording to reflect what they wanted. Which seems that the triggering action needs to be initiated before the trigger can go off.

The triggering action needs to be initiated before the trigger can go off in the twitter ruling as well. The ruling aren't at odds.

Believing that the sage advice somehow undermines the twitter ruling when the sage advice ruling is completely silent on the provision of the twitter ruling with which you disagree is a leap of logic that's beyond my ability to comprehend.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There's a difference between initiated and completed, one you seem to be wilfully ignoring in your quest to be correct.

FrogReaver

There's a difference between initiated and completed, one you seem to be wilfully ignoring in your quest to be correct.

Considering the Sage Advice ruling says nothing on whether you must complete the action or not then JC's tweet about completing the action being required to be considered as having taken the action is the closest to official stance we currently have.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Considering the Sage Advice ruling says nothing on whether you must complete the action or not then JC's tweet about completing the action being required to be considered as having taken the action is the closest to official stance we currently have.

Yes, and it's also equal to the stance of anyone, even a bum off of a street.

It's either official, or it's not. There's not fifty shades of canon.

FrogReaver

Yes, and it's also equal to the stance of anyone, even a bum off of a street.

That's not true. He's the lead rules designer and the person that makes official rulings on sage advice. Like it or not, his tweets are infinitely closer to official than a bum of the streets.

Regardless, there's a better thread about the Sage Advice specifically to have this discussion on than this paladin guide. I think [MENTION=68748]Gladius Legis[/MENTION] would appreciate us moving this argument there.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
That's not true. He's the lead rules designer and the person that makes official rulings on sage advice. Like it or not, his tweets are infinitely closer to official than a bum of the streets.
Like it or not, until he's revised his rulings and published them in errata or a compendium, they're no closer to official than a bum off of the streets.

Benny89

First Post
Could someone please calculate for me what is better for Vengeance Paladin on level 17- Holy Weapon or Haste vs VoE target?

Test requirements:

PAM, 20 attack stat, Spear +2. Haste vs Holy Weapon on. We burn in first turn 4x 5k8 smites for Haste test and 3x5k8 smites for Holy Weapon test. Next turns 4k8 Smites to all attacks for both etc. We count critical hits and we attack with VoE on.

FrogReaver

Could someone please calculate for me what is better for Vengeance Paladin on level 17- Holy Weapon or Haste vs VoE target?

Test requirements:

PAM, 20 attack stat, Spear +2. Haste vs Holy Weapon on. We burn in first turn 4x 5k8 smites for Haste test and 3x5k8 smites for Holy Weapon test. Next turns 4k8 Smites to all attacks for both etc. We count critical hits and we attack with VoE on.

Your test requeirements aren't accurate

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases