WotC hiring software developer

G

Guest 6801328

I treat software engineering like construction.

Step 1. Work out how many people you need.
Step2. Work out how much it should cost.
Step 3. Double step 1&2.

Alot of people skip step 3. $300 job turns into $1000+ due to scaffolding.

Then you must wildly underestimate. Haven’t you heard of Hofstadter’s Law?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nope what is it?

To quote wikipedia:

"Hofstadter's law is a self-referential adage, coined by Douglas Hofstadter in his book Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (1979) to describe the widely experienced difficulty of accurately estimating the time it will take to complete tasks of substantial complexity:

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Humans are well-known for being crappy at estimating time to complete tasks that take more than a few hours.

Zardnaar

Legend
To quote wikipedia:

"Hofstadter's law is a self-referential adage, coined by Douglas Hofstadter in his book Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (1979) to describe the widely experienced difficulty of accurately estimating the time it will take to complete tasks of substantial complexity:

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Humans are well-known for being crappy at estimating time to complete tasks that take more than a few hours.

Cheers, not that different to Murphys Law then. Things go wrong it takes longer, anything that can go wrong etc.

To quote wikipedia:

Unless you are Scotty. Then everything always takes less time to complete than requested or estimated. I still remember the episode when he taught this lesson to Geordi. lol

And we shouldn't forget the business of the videogame and RPG liveplay streaming. I would dare to bet WotC wants the ultimate videogame RPG where a player would be the DM controlling the monsters and nPCs and telling the story, the other players find an optional solution by means of investigation or social skills. Some cartoons and novels would be adaptation of games.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Cheers, not that different to Murphys Law then. Things go wrong it takes longer, anything that can go wrong etc.

Not really. Yes, things take more time when something goes wrong, but Hofstadter's Law is less about things going wrong, and m ore about how poorly humans estimate.

Basically, even if everything goes well, your estimate of completion date will still be wrong.

G

Guest 6801328

Not really. Yes, things take more time when something goes wrong, but Hofstadter's Law is less about things going wrong, and m ore about how poorly humans estimate.

Basically, even if everything goes well, your estimate of completion date will still be wrong.

And in case @Zardnaar missed the subtlety (and the joke) of Hofstadter's Law: it's recursive. Even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law, you are underestimating, no matter how many times you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It seems like they're looking for one person to be an entire IT shop (on one person's salary, of course). Or else they just have no clue what they want. Considering WotC's abysmal history with electronic offerings, I suppose that's not surprising, though.

EDIT: It's very odd. I looked at their other SW job descriptions and they all seem pretty normal. This one is just wacky.

Looks to me like they want a jack of all trades to support everyone and their dog who makes a d&d app or game.

Remove ads