D&D 5E Phandelver Pregen PDF's or Scanns? And the state of the online Support.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mike's got it exactly right. People want copies of his maps because they are of high-quality. They are of high-quality because his can afford to take his time with them. He affords the time because he earns money off of them.

If someone doesn't want to pay extra for his maps... then he doesn't get paid, and he can't afford to make them of the quality such that a person wants to get them in the first place.

Anyone can use the maps for free... they just have to re-draw the maps themselves in whatever format is usable for the need. But since that doesn't look as cool, it isn't as desired. Well... that's just too bad. You want the quality, you gotta pay for it.

- Price
- Quality
- Speed

Pick two.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Tagless maps:
A while ago, I began offering versions of my maps with tags and secrets removed in response to a clear need expressed by many DM's looking to use the artwork in VTT or printed tabletop format. Many DM's were complaining about the time involved in editing out the non-player info from maps provided by publishers. Since I have the original layered working files, editing them for in game use and making them available to the public is a no-brainer. Sometimes this is as easy as turning off a few layers while other images require a bit of a repaint. Traditional publishers have unfortunately been a little slow to provide these resources. This may have to do with the gameplay model or could simply be a lack of time/motivation on their part. I can't really speculate on this though as your guess is as good as mine.

Price:
At an à la carte price of $1.25 each, you can purchase the entire collection of my player version maps from the Starter Set for less than a trip to McDonalds. Plus, they won't give you diabetes or that slightly greasy sense of shame that comes with an extra large order of fries. The option of purchasing the DM versions of the maps in addition to the tagless player versions is primarily geared to folks that haven't picked up the adventure yet or simply want a great looking screen copy of the original artwork for their own. If you only want one or two specific maps instead of the whole set, you can do that too. Considering the resolution of the images, I think the price is about right. I know opinions on this vary and I am currently looking at coupon and package pricing options.

Since this post is getting a bit long winded, I'll stop here and just mention that I LOVE making maps and environments for RPG's and try to do the absolute best job that I can with every project I work on. If you like the artwork and are thinking about purchasing anything from my site, I can tell you that your payment goes directly to the creator "me" and helps keep a roof over my families head the lights on in the studio. So far, the response to my offering of downloads has been wonderful and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support and kind words I've received so far. Criticism is welcome too and I try to respond as quickly as possible to constructive suggestions.

Best,

Mike

Mike Schley Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.zenfolio.com
https://twitter.com/schley

Thank you for stopping in. I think it's great that you can sell these, both for the community and for you to have a continued stream of income. They're great work, and obviously people want them. But you have to consider the price within the larger market.

For example, I can buy the Kingmaker Adventure Path Map Folio from Paizo for $15.95. That's six high quality printed maps. The digital version is $7.69. So, when I saw that you were selling a bundle of the starter set maps, that was roughly the price I was expecting.

The single best thing you could do to improve the perception of high cost is to not sell the DM and Players versions separately, but as a single package for the same price. From the buyer's perspective, they're the same map. From your perspective, they're the same map. It simply doesn't make sense to ask people to pay twice to get both.

Additionally, mark down the bundle. A straightforward $9.99 for the whole bundle would feel much better. And the sense of value might get more people to buy the whole bundle rather than a few individual maps, which could be more profitable anyway.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Thanks for taking the time to post in this thread. I love your maps and I fully respect your desire to draw further income from your work instead of giving it away for free.

The single best thing you could do to improve the perception of high cost is to not sell the DM and Players versions separately, but as a single package for the same price. From the buyer's perspective, they're the same map. From your perspective, they're the same map. It simply doesn't make sense to ask people to pay twice to get both.

As I mentioned upthread, I very much agree with this.

Baumi

Adventurer
The Character Sheets are online and just in time for the weekend! 8D
[MENTION=37399]mikeschley[/MENTION]: While I don't like the fact that I don't get the Maps (especially the super usefull player Version) with my Adventure purchase, I just want to say that I absolutely adore your Artwork ... the Maps are just a thing of beauty! :)

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Hey [MENTION=2569]Baumi[/MENTION], can you simply photocopy the character sheets or maps? I don't know about Vienna, but in Cupertino you can make photocopies at a library, even color ones. That's usually pretty cheep.

Jake Johnson

First Post
Mike, your Starter Set maps are gorgeous. They are a welcome addition to my game, and I will likely make a poster of the Phandalin map for display in my office.

I have a rookie DM question about using the untagged maps in-game. It doesn't seem appropriate to show players the full map, as they would not see it until they explore. I was thinking of making a large print of the map, and cutting it into pieces. Is that what others are doing? Are others doing something more elaborate/better that they find to be a neater and more fun way to go? I saw a post in another thread where someone had made what they called "Play Outs" to use with miniatures. Maybe I should create a separate thread for this question. What do you guys think?

Remove ads