D&D 5E The Dangers of Overreliance on Leomund's Tiny Hut (3rd Level Spell)

We need a constitutional lawyer to give all this a look and help determine what the Supreme Court might likely allow. I'm not taking this all the way to DC without some kind of idea how the SCOTUS might rule.

If Jeremy Crawford is the high court of the land, we're in trouble.

"I DECLARE IT A DOME...GUILTY AS CHARGED. FEET FIRST INTO THE WOODCHIPPER!"

"NO WAIT, CRAP ITS A HEMISPHERE...anyone have any industrial strength super-glue?"

EDIT - [MENTION=76149]Variss[/MENTION] , yeah, cross-posted. Good post.

Last edited:

My only hope is that others read my book and designer citations and agree with the logic chain. Then we can all be sad together!

I agree with some of your poitns, and I disagree with some of your points. I think your point about needing a floor to be comfortable is cogent however. I'll change my ruling on floors now.

Oofta

Legend
I agree with some of your poitns, and I disagree with some of your points. I think your point about needing a floor to be comfortable is cogent however. I'll change my ruling on floors now.

It's funny, the "need a floor to be comfortable" is one of the weakest parts of the argument in my opinion. First of all, magic. Second, I knew someone that would go out ice fishing (frozen lake, middle of winter) with a shed that had a heater. He had to keep his boots on because the ice was cold but otherwise would fish in shirt sleeves while it was below zero outside.

So ... not a big deal. It doesn't even say the interior (which would imply floor) just says the air is warm and dry. You can get that with one of a portable heater.

Below is my take on the matters of adjudication in this spell:

1) It seems we're in agreement on the volumetric hemisphere with the plane of symmetry as "force floor/substrate." Thus the following logical inference here from (a) the 3D geometry and (b) the fact that the internal climate is regulated. It just says "it's dry and comfortable." Anything beyond that (such as a magic space heater) is beyond inference or extrapolation. Here is what I think is easily inferred. A shaped (be it hemisphere, sphere, or cube) "forcefield" in D&D prevents:

- physical travel (so no precipitation nor groundwater nor meltwater...hence "dry").
- Ethereal travel
- Conductive heat transfer. So the space neither loses nor gains heat from the outside, hence perpetually "comfortable."

The evidence is significant (legacy, logical inference, and Lead Designer).

2) The book is silent on the procedure of coloration blending in with natural surroundings. One can either assume (a) color is merely "color" or (b) it is an actual input to action resolution (which is what it has been historically). So, with (b) we have to determine a procedure for action resolution. Arcana vs Perception (with all the other dynamics I canvassed above - Adv/Disadv, Survival either to Help or as primary camo).

3) Ethereal travel is prevented. Legacy + other Force effects + DMG explicitly and clearly (in a rare 5e moment!) stating it.

So I'm assuming you disagree with 2? Do you think being able to color it is not an input to action resolution or do you think my procedure is off?

raleel

Explorer
We haven't even really started getting into it's utility for surviving lava flows or gas attacks if you have some warning. Or lahars or mudflows. Or, heck, floods.

Also, I'll point out it's comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside, which implies that it's proof against weather, not against everything. One might think that the heat of lava surrounding you,if you consider lava an object and thus blocked, might roast you like a turkey.

Definitely a GM call :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases