When the Sharks Finally Catch You: The Death of Geek Chic

Gaming tables are a high-end commodity that home-owning geek adults increasingly covet for their dining rooms and game rooms. A company who can produce and deliver such a product was a dream come true for Geek Chic when they appeared on the reality television show Shark Tank. The rise and fall of the company reflects the struggle of geek manufacturers everywhere.

Gaming tables are a high-end commodity that home-owning geek adults increasingly covet for their dining rooms and game rooms. A company who can produce and deliver such a product was a dream come true for Geek Chic when they appeared on the reality television show Shark Tank. The rise and fall of the company reflects the struggle of geek manufacturers everywhere.

[h=3]Swimming with the Sharks[/h]Shark Tank's reality show premise pitches aspiring entrepreneur-contestants to a panel of "shark" investors, who then choose whether or not to invest. In May 2013, a new kind of competitor appeared on Shark Tank: Geek Chic. Robert Gifford's pitch was $100K for a 5% stake:

Robert is a self-proclaimed geek. He started designing furniture that is more than meets the eye. The dinner table he has in the tank can be transformed into a game-playing table and desk. There also ways to attach bins, counter holders and even wine glass holders. Robert did $2 million in sales in a year, but they were in the red by $100,000.

The Gazette Review delved into Geek Chic's finances:

The tables run for $3,500 roughly, and Mark Cuban asks about the sales. Robert reveals the fact that Geek Chic did a shocking $2 million in sales last year, which causes Kevin to nearly snap his own neck from turning his head so fast. Robert Herjavec and Daymond are both blown away. Lori asks about the profit, but unfortunately, Geek Chic ran a $100,000 loss...$2 million is what they did in the last fiscal year, and projections for this upcoming fiscal year would be $400,000 to $500,000. With the investment from the Sharks, Robert intends to buy a truck to enable the company to run their own logistics, and even look into purchasing more advanced machinery. The average order is for about $4,500 worth of products, Robert explains. Mark asks about the profit margin on the table, and Robert estimates that is around a 50% split; each table yields about $1,800 in profit.

The sharks were not entirely convinced:

Lori thinks Robert is great and loves his enthusiasm. She just doesn't know how he'll get the competitive edge on the high-end companies. She's out. Even with all the functionality of the product, Mark only sees a table in front of him and nothing more. He's just not that into furniture. He's out. Robert buys into the design, but he doesn't buy into the furniture company. He's out. Kevin thinks Robert is in a really crappy business. He's out. Daymond doesn't know if he can hang with the geek aspect, but he likes the product and how Robert is running the company. Daymond offers $200k for 25% of the company. Robert counters with $500k for a 15% stake. Now Daymond is finding a flaw in Robert's character.

One of the Sharks brought up an interesting point:

Kevin then says that the furniture making in the United States has been all but destroyed due to sending parts to Asia, so why is Robert not a “dead geek?” Robert explains that they are attempting to minimize the cost, but Asia cannot make the same quality of product out of American wood that is made in the United States. Lori admits that she thinks the product is great and she loves Robert’s enthusiasm, but she has ultimately seen a lot of similar tables. She does not know how Robert can get the competitive edge since some tables are very high end...

In the end, the two Roberts (entrepeneur Gifford and Shark Herjavec) came to an agreement:

Daymond stays firm on his offer, but Robert thinks that his equity stake is too high. Robert the shark then offers $300k for 25%. Robert the entrepreneur thinks Robert the shark is a better partner when it comes to the geeky ways of his business. He accepts his offer over Daymond's.

For a time, life was good for Geek Chic -- one of the company's Sultan tables was used regularly on Wil Wheaton’s TableTop webseries. But the company's popularity wouldn't last.
[h=3]A Sinking Ship[/h]After the cameras stopped rolling, Herjavec was no longer Gifford's business partner:

As can happen on Shark Tank, deals are not final and are contingent on both parties ultimately agreeing; ultimately, both Roberts did not see it fit to form their Robert alliance, and thus, Herjavec is no longer an investor or part-owner of Geek Chic.

The reason? Gifford found a new investor:

On-air deals aren’t final, though. Due diligence allows both parties to say no, and Gifford ultimately chose to go with a better offer from an investor who was already involved with Geek Chic.

That curious footnote aside, there there were signs of trouble in 2013:

While 2013’s numbers have been strong and demand is still high, Gifford says the company might be looking at another minus year. What he cares about most, though, is that their revenue is growing by 50 percent. “It’s hard to not lose money based on that growth,” he said. “The way that the growth line works, eventually you’ll get saturation and you’ll dip back down. Unless it’s a fad item that goes away forever.”

Gifford wanted the company to continue independent of his temporary boost of fame:

I think the company is my baby, but I work hard to make sure that I am not the brand — that Geek Chic itself is the brand that operates independently of me. If I was hit by a bus over the weekend, I want this place to move forward. I like building things. I don’t like to build things that don’t last. And this company has to last outside of me.

Things wouldn't quite turn out that way.
[h=3]Up a Geek Without a Paddle[/h]The company stopped responding to email and phone calls on June 12. On June 13, Gifford released a statement on Facebook:

It is with great sadness that I must announce Geek Chic has ceased operation. Despite heroic efforts by many, this outcome is out of our hands. While I am certain there are many outstanding questions, we are currently limited in our ability to respond. The website will be updated with appropriate contact information and procedures as they become available. I am forever indebted to those who joined us on this adventure, and am absolutely gutted about it’s end.

Polygon posits what might have gone wrong:

The trouble is that Geek Chic required payment well in advance of the delivery of their products, which often ran in excess of $3,500. That means many customers’ tables are finished, or nearly finished, and may never be delivered. When or if they are able to get their money back is an unresolved question.

Scott Thorne at ICv2 noted that, in addition to costly production costs in the U.S. and a very small target market, competition was likely a factor:

Although both said the two companies had a supportive relationship, Carolina Gaming Tables is/was a viable competitor to Geek Chic, offering similar products at substantially lower prices. Customers could look at Geek Chic’s high-end, high-priced products for many thousands of dollars, then look at Carolina Gaming Tables’ selection of similar products, priced thousands less, and opt for those. After all, as noted earlier, there are only a limited number of customers for high-end gaming furniture and Carolina Gaming Tables says on its website that the company currently operates debt free.

As of today, Geek Chic's web site returns an error message.

Geek Chic's model was challenged by production issues that many other geek-oriented companies face when manufacturing in the U.S. The company's failure is an important lesson about the sustainability of the rising geek marketplace that's getting bigger each year -- but not big enough to support Geek Chic. In the end, it wasn't the sharks on television that Geek Chic had to worry about.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you mean like Tesla, which has been moving from 'rich guy's show-off toy' market to 'usable family vehicle' market, then I wish the company well. (no sarc here)

But for each previous GC customer: how many tables can you buy before you run out of space in the house? It's just not a repeat-customer-friendly business model.

Depends on how good the product is, how hard the customers are on it, etc.

My folks built a house in 1998. They've bought 2 round tables for their breakfast nook in that time, and are talking about replacing the current one. It's not that they buy crap tables, either- they have a 170 year old dining room table a master carpenter wanted to buy from them., and I've been using the rectangular folding oak nook table they gave me when they moved in 1998 as a gaming table (it didn't fit their new nook).

Needs evolve. Things happen. So there IS a repeat customer market out there. The question is of its size.

Another factor is information & market penetration. Even though I've never heard of any of the companies listed here, I am a potential customer. But even though I live 10 minutes away from a huge store that sells arcade games, bar furniture, pool tables, "gaming tables" and the like, the only commercial gaming tables I have ever seen were aimed at poker and other, similar games. Getting their product in a store like that or getting their ads in front of more eyes would probably have been a positive force on their bottom line. It isn't just RPGs or geekier war games that could use tables like that. Many traditional family board games would benefit from that kind of setup. Risk?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And their later products did exactly that - less stupendous, more general purpose but still with features for gaming. Dining room tables where you can eat and do homework, coffee tables with storage bins for your console controllers.

I get that the number of customers they potentially had was finite, but I seriously doubt that lack of willing customers was the cause of their bankruptcy. Otherwise, they would not have had a 6-8 month wait to start making the ordered goods. Maybe they got crushed by their orders and people withdrawing deposits? Maybe two key pieces of machinery broke at once and they had no more capitol/credit to draw on to get repairs? With the razor thin margins they seem to have maintained, it wouldn't take much to tip over the cart.

There are all kinds of cash-flow traps that can kill a thriving business in mere months. It's possible they wandered into one.

Randall Porter

First Post
There were two problems the myth of the High End Gamer. Even as a lowly clerk in your friendly neighbor game store salesmen would come in with these expensive games that were stunning to look but very big bucks. They were for our well heeled customer looking for that right game for his den. Well those customers did not exist. This is who Geek Chic was after and they were few and far between.

As ga ga as Europe is about boardgames I see Ikea coming out with a nice gaming table for only a few hundred bucks with all the tricks as thing you buy later on.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
They had a steady queue of buyers who preordered months in advance, it's fun to play armchair business man/woman, but what exactly happened was not a lack of customers.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
For folks looking to build a table themselves, this post gives a great outline of what is involved. Useful in case you are wanting to actually build this yourself, but also to understand the scope of building a gaming table.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/4727/build-your-own-geek-chic-gaming-table-fraction-cos

The final product:

View attachment 87017

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2593344_lg.jpg

Needless to say, this is a substantial project. If you have a decent workshop and are practiced, a pretty easy project. For dabblers such as myself, it would be quite a few hours setting up and double checking all of the steps.

It doesn't look like finishing steps are included -- which would be yet more steps and time.

Thx!
TomB

Randall Porter

First Post
Bravo Sir! very nice I have been thinking of getting a school table and then mounting a box underneath. That might be more to my skill set. Still waiting for IKEA to come up with one :).

Have to say that when I saw this title I was expecting to hear some information on what has happened since the announcement. Sorry [MENTION=3285]talien[/MENTION], but this news is almost 2 months old. Your article is good, but not very timely.

I appreciate the background info, but if there are current lawsuits, who is suing who and why? What about customers that have paid and have yet (if ever) to recieve their tables? Has CGT said anything else since the first week?

Alarian

First Post
As to what officially happened, no one knows yet, but there is a lot of speculation that their downfall didn't have to do with the table side of the business (which from all accounts was still very successful, at least in respect to customers) and more to do with them purchasing a game company called Crash Games for a large sum of money and not doing the proper research into the company. The company had a large amount of debt that wasn't disclosed and when it was discovered, they were unable to cover the debts and still stay afloat. The lawsuits stem from the supposed fraud from one of the Geek Chic people not disclosing the debt and with Crash Games for misrepresenting the company.

If your interested in a 27 page read, you can read about it here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1796053/geek-chic-has-shut-its-doors-confirmation

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...more to do with them purchasing a game company called Crash Games for a large sum of money and not doing the proper research into the company. The company had a large amount of debt that wasn't disclosed and when it was discovered, they were unable to cover the debts and still stay afloat.

That kind of thing has cratered more companies & partnerships than I care to mention.

cmad1977

Hero
I'm afraid I think the cost of this business is too high. Expensive and time consuming to produce. Expansion of production facilities would be pretty pricey too.
Combine a lack of inventory with high prices and a limited customer base that will only buy one produce every what... 10 years?
I'm sorry. I love the table, I can sense the passion.
But for those reasons:
I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads