WOIN [WOIN] WOIN Character Assistant, a character creation tool

Agh! Somebody help. I can't get this to work. I keep getting a popup stating there's no program associated. It was working fine and then I grabbed the latest version and now nothing. I've uninstalled all instances of python-related things. Looks like my problem is wxpython; I can't figure out how to install that. What am I missing?

Hey M3woods! I was doing some work last night and accidentally broke the program (temporarily). The updates were coming in fast and furious--you might have gotten one of my broken ones. :( Could you try updating again and seeing if you get the same issues?

On a related note, the updates over the past several hours pertained to the following:
  • Save prompt now resembles something you'd see in a proper program
  • The exploit dialog for careers now shows you a snapshot of the character's stats at that point in the character's career, allowing you to make more informed decisions of what exploits you can take
  • The exploit dialog for adding misc exploits (exploit tab) shows you total stats so you can make similarly informed decisions on what you can take there.

Last edited:

M3woods

Explorer
I'm done trying. I'm sure it's something I'm overlooking but I'm tired of trying to figure out how to install wxpython and that seems to be the issue.

I'm done trying. I'm sure it's something I'm overlooking but I'm tired of trying to figure out how to install wxpython and that seems to be the issue.

If you're on Windows, try out the .exe package that's attached to the most current release here: https://github.com/DesertDogSledder/wca/releases/tag/v0.18.0

This should allow you to run the program without worrying about dependencies. :)

(Sorry Mac users, mine got delayed. Hopefully standalone binaries are coming for Mac very soon!)

M3woods

Explorer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "lib\gui\wca_frame.py", line 1674, in set_career_exploit
KeyError: 'Source'

This is awesome. Thanks for the work you've put into this. Just a note, I got the above error when trying to edit the exploit for the psi-cop career. Thought you'd like to be informed.

This is awesome. Thanks for the work you've put into this. Just a note, I got the above error when trying to edit the exploit for the psi-cop career. Thought you'd like to be informed.

I do appreciate any bug reports. :) (That's why I still show the ugly console window, to be honest!)

I think this is something that Morrus was running into as well! I'm very fortunate that I managed to reproduce it on my system. I didn't catch it before because things work when you add a fresh career. If at any time you edit the career and click OK in that dialog, the set career dialog broke even if you didn't change the career to a different one.

I've fixed this and uploaded the new Windows binary if you want to grab it: https://github.com/DesertDogSledder/wca/releases/tag/v0.18.1

Happy WOINing!

M3woods

Explorer
I'm guessing it's not feasible at the moment but will future updates allow custom races and careers to be added? It would certainly simplify some of my current projects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EN World mobile app

I'm guessing it's not feasible at the moment but will future updates allow custom races and careers to be added? It would certainly simplify some of my current projects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EN World mobile app

Believe it or not, there is actually support for custom races, homeworlds, exploits, and careers! It's (slightly) more intuitive with the unpackaged code--there's a "custom" folder that has templates that show you what format to write your custom content in. I may need to go back to the drawing board to see how to integrate it with the all-in-one executable... or just go with a different packaging method. Let me chew on it for a bit. Fear not, though, the thing you seek is closer than you think. :)

Believe it or not, there is actually support for custom races, homeworlds, exploits, and careers! It's (slightly) more intuitive with the unpackaged code--there's a "custom" folder that has templates that show you what format to write your custom content in. I may need to go back to the drawing board to see how to integrate it with the all-in-one executable... or just go with a different packaging method. Let me chew on it for a bit. Fear not, though, the thing you seek is closer than you think. :)

I did some code reorganization and cleanup. https://github.com/DesertDogSledder/wca/releases/tag/v0.19.0

I had to abandon the all-in-one executable packaging for now, but the only downside is that you see more files in the directory. :) You'll still be able to run the application without worrying about dependencies. Instead of just a single exe, I have now attached the windows binaries as "wca.zip". Inside that directory you'll see a folder called "custom" that has template files and instructions on how to add your own custom content. You still run "wca.exe" to launch the application.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Rejoice, Mac users! Your time has come! I finally got my Mac dev machine up and running and was able to successfully build Mac binaries. That's right, no longer will you have to worry about frustrating dependency configuration. Simply download, extract, and run the WCA app!

Version v0.20.1 is available here. Grab wca_osx for Mac or wca_win for Windows.
https://github.com/DesertDogSledder/wca/releases/tag/v0.20.1

My Mac is running 10.11.6 at the moment. According to the documentation I've read, I should be packaging binaries on the oldest version of OSX I want to support. If anyone has an older version of OSX and wants to test WCA, let me know if it works.

Equipment/item support is still in the planning phase. I want to make sure I approach it appropriately so I don't end up doing a bunch of backtracking and rewriting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases