WOIN It's the official WOIN character builder!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With two caveats:
  1. I literally started learning PHP form scratch four days ago.
  2. It only has a few races/careers in there right now; that's all about data entry into a big spreadsheet. But the underlying system works.
Feel free to try it out and let me know about any bugs. Don't ask for new features as I might explode. Like I said, literally started learning PHP form scratch four days ago.

http://www.enworld.org/morrusdev/character.php

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 23.03.54.png

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
This is amazing, and exactly what I've been looking for. I've been wanting to start up a game, and this streamlines the characters very quickly.

I know you said not to ask for anything additional, but having a way to select an exploit and know what it does would be very handy. Right now, they'd have to go through the book to see what they mean, but if there was a link that could open a small descriptor for the exploit, then that would do away with the need for the book altogether.

That, and having all the races, careers and origins, if they're not already there. You could literally turn this into the only resource needed for players to create characters. You take this, make an app out of it, and sell it on the app store for a buck or three, and people will buy it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Coding that information wouldn’t be too hard. What would be hard is all the data entry. It would take days of work to enter all the text of all the exploits etc. I haven’t even added the OLD, NOW, and 2000AD careers yet.

M3woods

Explorer
Coding that information wouldn’t be too hard. What would be hard is all the data entry. It would take days of work to enter all the text of all the exploits etc. I haven’t even added the OLD, NOW, and 2000AD careers yet.
Hey, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], what does the php spreadsheet look like? I have a lot of the racial, career, and exploit data typed into an excel spreadsheet. Would you be able to use that easily?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey, @Morrus, what does the php spreadsheet look like? I have a lot of the racial, career, and exploit data typed into an excel spreadsheet. Would you be able to use that easily?

You can see the spreadsheets via the links in the top right of the character builder. They have to be formatted exactly like that, or the code can’t read it.

(edit - by which I mean columns can be added on the right end of any of those tables, but the existing columns have to remain in the exact order they are - so the universal exploits could have a second column added with the exploit text)

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer

That's what you get for designing such a amazingly detailed and all encompassing game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks to Daniel Loughmiller, who kindly presented me with a couple of awesome spreadsheets, N.O.W. and O.L.D. careers have both been added too!

Steven Barker

First Post
This is pretty cool. A few things that are missing that would be very useful:
  • Homeworlds (for N.E.W. characters). They give one free skill point (as well as shifting an attribute point around), so it's not something you'd want to skip most of the time.
  • Exploits that grant skill levels. It can important to figure out those skills when you pick the career because they usually only add level 1 of a skill, and you might want to take more levels in later career picks. If you have to sort them out manually at the end, you sort of need to figure out the skill levels retroactively.
  • Maybe even free-form skill entries?
Some bugs:
  • A typo: The Marine exploit "Battle Scars" is written "Battle Scares".
  • A few skills have multiple spellings in different lists. I made a character who got levels in both "intimidate" (from the skill lists for the Police Officer and Detective) and "intimidation" (from the list for the Gangster).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases