A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

heretic888

Explorer
Say you had a Human who weighs 100kg and made him a Giant who weighs 27x as much = 2,700kg. A T-Rex can weigh up to 18,000 kg.

So tell me again how physics proves that Giant (2,700kg) would collapse and at the same time a T-Rex (18,000kg) is fine?

Because, as I stated in my previous post, a tyrannosaur is not a bipedal humanoid. I would suggest actually reading the link I provided: you have actual physicists and mathematicians (including Galileo) explaining *why* giant humans are a biological impossibility. There are, of course, other reasons too --- everything from human lung capacity to digestive traits --- but anatomy-to-cubic volume issue is the biggest one.

There is a reason humans with gigantism (who are nowhere near the size of mythical giants) have a host of well documented health problems. Our anatomical structure only optimally supports a limited range of sizes.

I think the main incorrect asumption that you are making is that a Giant is the same as a Big Human. Of course a Giant is going to have musculature, bone structure, and anatomical proportions totally different to a Humans.

In what way? A simple perusal of D&D giant images on google reveals nothing but creatures with the exact same anatomical proportions as a human being.

EDIT: There is a similar discussion here as well: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/giant-bfg-shouldnt-just-look-like-giant-human/

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Because, as I stated in my previous post, a tyrannosaur is not a bipedal humanoid. I would suggest actually reading the link I provided: you have actual physicists and mathematicians (including Galileo) explaining *why* giant humans are a biological impossibility. There are, of course, other reasons too --- everything from human lung capacity to digestive traits --- but anatomy-to-cubic volume issue is the biggest one.

There is a reason humans with gigantism (who are nowhere near the size of mythical giants) have a host of well documented health problems. Our anatomical structure only optimally supports a limited range of sizes.

In what way? A simple perusal of D&D giant images on google reveals nothing but creatures with the exact same anatomical proportions as a human being.

But we are not talking about big Humans, we are talking about DnD Giants.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

EDIT: There is a similar discussion here as well: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/giant-bfg-shouldnt-just-look-like-giant-human/

You have no idea about the internal structure, though. The bones, cartilage and more could be different enough to make the health issues vanish. It's only a biologic impossibility for HUMANS with larger builds. Nothing says that giants are just large humans.

heretic888

Explorer
You have no idea about the internal structure, though. The bones, cartilage and more could be different enough to make the health issues vanish. It's only a biologic impossibility for HUMANS with larger builds. Nothing says that giants are just large humans.

At that point, though, we're just speculating. From every appearance, giants are just scaled up humans.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
If by "fine house rule" you mean "naturalistic observation informed by a working knowledge of mathematics and human physiology", then yes.

Is it like how you can only ever make a house out of wood? Because if it looks like a House thefore it must be made out of wood?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
At that point, though, we're just speculating. From every appearance, giants are just scaled up humans.

Except that they are incredibly obviously not just scaled up humans. They predate humans, being almost as old as dragons. They have innate magic and resistances, such as immunity to cold and fire. These things make it crystal clear that they are giants, a unique race, not just jumped up humans. It's far more of an assumption to view their internal structure as human, than it is to view it as unique and supportive of their size.

pemerton

Legend
Why would you leave out the official quote I provided for you that a dragon being magical in combination with the wing strength is how it flies. It makes it appear that you argue disingenuously when you do things like this.
(1) I was replying to [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION], who I thought was suggesting that flying dragons are physically possible.

(2) That is inlcuded in my (iii): it doesn't really make sense to think of the world of D&D using such scientific categories as gravity and fluid mechanics. A world in which beings have "innate magic" that combines with their muscualture to let them fly is not a world in which scientific categories such as gravity and fluid mechanics have application. (Whichi was [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION]'s point some way upthread.)

I also think it is worth nothing that in 3E (at least according to the d20srd) a dragon's flight is not SU.

Of course they are biomechanically possible. That is what the physics says.

What kind of respiratory system does a DnD Arthrod have? Maybe you are imagining the wrong sort.
I'm talking about the real world. Are you asserting that D&D giants are biomechanically possible in the real world? If you are, that's interesting because I thought the general opinion was that, with the possible exception of fire giants, they are not.

Likewise with respect to arthropods - as per the webpage I linked to in my earlier reply to you, my understanding is that an arthropod the size of a D&D giant scorpion would (in the real world) not be able to respirate and would also have serious exoskeleton problems. Are you saying that the website is wrong?

So what - giants in D&D have bones made of steel?

And they don't have lungs or other organst like humans do?

At what point do you accept the proposition that the physical, biological etc traits of the D&D world don't correspond to those in the real world? What do you think is at stake in saying "The physics is indistinguishable, it's just that the materials are different?" As if the nature of materials (biological and otherwise) in the real world was not itself a manifestation of physical properties.

In any event, the "Giant" entry in the AD&D MM opens with these words (p 44): "Giants are huge humanoids." As a feature of D&D, giants are inspired by fairy stories, myths etc about giants (eg this is why we have Cloud Giants). The person who first wrote down the story of Jack the Giant-Killer wasn't envisaging that the giants Jack was described as killing were, in reality, biologically feasible but radically non-human creatures who just happened to take human form!

Treating D&D as a sci-fi game seems ridiculous to me. I don't get it at all.

EDIT:
Except that they are incredibly obviously not just scaled up humans. They predate humans, being almost as old as dragons. They have innate magic and resistances, such as immunity to cold and fire. These things make it crystal clear that they are giants, a unique race, not just jumped up humans. It's far more of an assumption to view their internal structure as human, than it is to view it as unique and supportive of their size.
I don't understand how you think this claim about the fiction of the game - which is absolutely laden with mythical and supernatural notions - counts as evidence that giants in D&D are biological beings whose physical, chemical and biological nature conforms to that which is possible in the real world.

How do you think you are defending some form of scientific naturalism by pointing to supernatural, mythic "history"? It's just about the most basic category confusion I can think of.

Last edited:

Remove ads