Yet another Ghostbusters movie

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I enjoyed the female-led reboot quite a bit. I do think not connecting it to the original two films was a mistake. But completely ignoring it with this new film seems pretty darn tone-deaf in this day and age.

I enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, but the only character with the same zany pull as the original three ghostbusters was Holtzmann. (Sorry, I like Zeddemore, but he didn't have the same oomph as the others.)

I didn't come away with feeling it was unrelated, just that it was only loosely related. There was comments from the federal (?) official that this sort of thing had happened before and had been covered up / amazed what people forgot. Sort of a nod that the earlier movie(s) happened without having to build on the later movies in the franchise.

I thought they all did a good job, but Holtzmann was assuredly the stand-out character of the movie.

Instead of "not connecting it to the original two films," perhaps I should've said “not keeping it in continuity with…”

I enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, but the only character with the same zany pull as the original three ghostbusters was Holtzmann. (Sorry, I like Zeddemore, but he didn't have the same oomph as the others.)

I didn't come away with feeling it was unrelated, just that it was only loosely related. There was comments from the federal (?) official that this sort of thing had happened before and had been covered up / amazed what people forgot. Sort of a nod that the earlier movie(s) happened without having to build on the later movies in the franchise.

MarkB

Legend
In terms of both sound and visuals the teaser definitely makes it clear that yes, this is your daddy's Ghostbusters. Which could be good, or could just wind up being an attempt to rehash the original movie wholesale.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So it would seem. It seems like the reboot cycle is getting faster and faster. Still grumpy about what DC did with Constantine/Hellblazer.

You don’t have to watch them. It’s not like Hollywood doesn’t churn out hundreds of original films every year too.

No, true, I do not (Nor do I have to post complaining about it, but here we stand). And honestly, there have been some remakes I've enjoyed. But then something like the Your Name remake gets announced, and it makes me grumpy all over again.

You don’t have to watch them. It’s not like Hollywood doesn’t churn out hundreds of original films every year too.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Proposed tie-in: One of the teens is summoned to a lawyer's office because of something about a will. They have inherited a big suitcase: a Ghostbuster proton pack, with instructions (yes, Ramis' character's stuff). The strange things begin to happen when the teen takes it back to his/her apartment, in a high-rise which is being renovated. The structure of the building has a certain amount of the alloy that made the original building into Spook Central and drew Gozer's attention. Ghosts start showing up, "leaking out of the walls". The teen has to read the instructions while looking for friends to help out with a 'defumigation' of the place. Some original stars could put in cameos; Sigourney Weaver could provide actually-helpful information, such as a lead on where the ambulance (plus more gear stored inside it) was parked.

Remove ads