Your Beginner's Guide to Warhammer 40K: Wrath & Glory

Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory has been out for a few months and some of you may be wondering where to begin. We've got you covered!

WrathGlory_Logo_V2_hard-1-1024x442.png
View attachment 105188

The Core Rulebook is already loaded with plenty of content to help players get their fill of role-playing in the 40K universe, but Ulisses North America also provides two “getting started” products over at Drive Thru RPG.Warhammer Wrath & Glory: Revelations, a free PDF providing background information for the RPG and its potential future. It’s not really a gameplay supplement but is worth checking out prior to diving into the core book. The second PDF is Wrath & Glory: Blessings Unheralded, an introductory adventure for $4.99.

Also new(ish) from Ulisses North America comes several Warhammer Wrath & Glory game decks are out now. The card decks are intended to help streamline the game and come in several flavors:

The individual decks are useful quick references for Wrath & Glory game play and help flesh out some in-game details. The decks are available from various online retailers. My local FLGS prices them at $21 dollars per deck. The pricing is similar at Amazon and Miniature Market, but fluctuates a bit—between $13 dollars and $20 dollars— depending on your desired RPG deck.

Warhammer 40,000 always benefits from the addition of maps and scenery and Wrath & Glory is no different. A map was already included in the Starter's Set, but during a recent trip to an FLGS outside of my home town, I came across a few different Wrath & Glory Battle maps that were available separately. This turned out to be the Wrath & Glory Battle Maps: War Zones (readily available via Miniature Market).

The 29” x 37” map contains 1” squares for your miniatures and can be flipped over to reveal one of two locations—a desert battlefield and a ruined city. Add a bit of Citadel (I like the Ryza Ruins, personally) or your own custom terrain for a bit of added flair.

Finally there is a set of Wrath & Glory poker chips, just released in late February. The chips represent the in-game concepts of wrath, glory and ruin emblazoned with symbols for each.

There are even more exciting things on the horizon from Ulisses North America, including some exciting Torg Eternity stuff coming soon. Stay tuned!

Contributed by David J. Buck (Nostalgia Ward) as part of the EN World (ENWC) program. When he isn’t learning to play or writing about RPGs, he can be found on Patreon or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

W40K is a franchise too grimm for my taste. It isn't about good vs evil but bad vs worse. The human galactic empire is a xenophobe theocracy who wants to destroy everything they can't understand. And sci-fi get old very bad, new generations miss in old things now are usual in our current technology.

imagineGod

Legend
W40K is a franchise too grimm for my taste. It isn't about good vs evil but bad vs worse. The human galactic empire is a xenophobe theocracy who wants to destroy everything they can't understand. And sci-fi get old very bad, new generations miss in old things now are usual in our current technology.
The maps may not be specific to Warhammer 40,000, which is why I wanted some pictures to see if they could work for Starfinder. By the way, I totally enjoy Warhammer 40,000 stories too.

The thing that first turned me off to this game was the bundle hey released with all the decks. It gave me the feeling that to play this game I needed the books, tons of decks, etc. Put the game in the “premium” and out of reach, category for me. Kinda like the Star Trek RPG, the Borg Cube was so neat that I wanted it, but couldn’t afford it, and now even though I’m a crazy Trekkie I’ve still never gotten that game. I’m not going to sink that kind of money on a game I may not play.

Of course. The RPG books are like LEGO. After purchase you build as you want, never mind the cover of the box. If I want, I use a style "feel-good" within a "grimm dark", because hope and faith in a better tomorrow is when you face darkness. And I could create a mash-up mixing Starfinder, d20 Future, Star Wars, Star Trek, Andromeda, Stargate, W40K, Mutant Chronicles, Eclipse Phase and Fading Suns, and where a priest and a scientific can talk serenely like civilized people about Fine-tuned universe. (now you don't notice, but I am sending you a subliminal message, and the next time you see "Big Bang Theory" in the TV you will remember George Lemaitre, the priest who postulated this theory and could understand an Einstein's conference about quantum physic ;-) )

The maps may not be specific to Warhammer 40,000, which is why I wanted some pictures to see if they could work for Starfinder. By the way, I totally enjoy Warhammer 40,000 stories too.

They're similar to the Starfinder maps, but I think the City version has some Imperium insignia. The desert side is pretty generic. I'll be at the FLGS later this week and I'll see about snapping some photos for you!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases