Bree-Land Region Guide: A Review

In the Lord of the Rings the quaint little town of Bree marked the place where a dangerous journey grew into a true adventure. Now, with the Bree-Land Region Guide it can easily play the same role for the Adventures in Middle-Earth, framing the party’s first few steps from humdrum civilisation into dangerous wilds.

While the setting book is probably most useful for low-level heroes, however, that doesn’t mean that things are easy. Bree may lack the mighty lords and sweeping battles found elsewhere in the setting, but it does an incredible job of blurring the mundane and fantastical in a style that is both thrilling and frustrating – though in a good way.

The reason for this oddly charming irritation is woven through the first half of the Bree-Land Region Guide, which is dedicated to laying out the various places and people found in the area. It’s a quiet stretch of woods and fields, home to the Prancing Pony inn and a handful of small villages whose inhabitants usually come across as a kind of medieval homeowners’ association, more concerned with outsiders stealing chickens than distant orc legions.

Indeed, parties will often find that the most challenging parts of their adventures revolve around convincing local leaders that the threats on their borders are actually real. If you were playing a game of regular D&D this kind of reaction would probably get annoying ten minutes into the first session, but when set against the low-magic background of Middle-Earth it fits wonderfully.

Dealing with tricksy and suspicious locals is a prevailing theme throughout the second half of the book too. It lays out a trio of inter-linked adventures that can either be run alone or woven into a short campaign that should get the players from level one to level five.

The first of these – bearing the gruesome title of Old Bones and Skin - is a delightfully Tolkien-esque mix of magical maps, ancient treasures and terrible monsters. It takes the bold move of having the players’ first likely foe come in the form of an ancient, cunning troll that could probably destroy the low-level party in an open combat. This forces them to think on their feet and look for options beyond brute force.

Careful planning and the use of wits over weapons also play and important role in the second adventure, in which the party launch a murder investigation and get tangled up with a magical ring. Running free-form investigations in RPGs can always be a tricky prospect, however, and it’s very easy for this one to get messy.

Information about the suspects covers a half-dozen pages, several vital clues are likely to come from them overhearing the DM talking to themselves and, as it’s written, the text assumes that the party is much more passive and cautious than most tables I’ve met. The ideas are solid, but the adventure is hard to recommend whole-heartedly.

But does that apply to the book as a whole? Well, in all honesty the Bree-Land Region Guide can be a hard sell if you’re already deep in a campaign and looking to for places to send adventurers. At the same time, the patronising, parochial approach of the Bree-folk can also be a bit of an acquired taste, especially if you’re after a more traditional high-fantasy vibe.

However, if you’ve yet to start off a campaign of Adventures in Middle-Earth and want somewhere to get players rolling, or if you simply want to add some depth to your world the it’s is a great purchase. More than that, it really does occupy a wonderful niche that typifies the peaceful slices of homely life that Tolkien loved to include in his creations. It reminds us that heroes aren’t just found in grand halls, and that quiet cottages and neat little hobbit-holes are worth protecting just as much as any castle.

This article was contributed by Richard Jansen-Parkes (Winghorn) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

LotR is a jewel, a master work of the fantasy, but as RPG is a world too closed to can add new things, and I like to mix thing from different sources.

* Have you thought about as would be a canon sequel? I read something like "the return of the shadow" but it was a project couldn't be ended.

JPL

Adventurer
I have a number of products for this game, both original and d20 flavor, and I honestly don't know how anyone plays it "right." The source material seems to demand a stately, elegiac tone, which I have never seen a group of gamers maintain. Having detailed rules for "walking" and "asking for help" is source-appropriate, but it's a strange fit if you're used to the typical D&D adventure. The selection of character options and adversaries and STUFF seems extremely narrow. And most importantly, like a lot of licensed properties . . . there's a Chosen One, and you ain't him.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I have a number of products for this game, both original and d20 flavor, and I honestly don't know how anyone plays it "right." The source material seems to demand a stately, elegiac tone, which I have never seen a group of gamers maintain. Having detailed rules for "walking" and "asking for help" is source-appropriate, but it's a strange fit if you're used to the typical D&D adventure. The selection of character options and adversaries and STUFF seems extremely narrow. And most importantly, like a lot of licensed properties . . . there's a Chosen One, and you ain't him.

Agreed. I ran this last summer for several sessions, in an attempt to get the Mirkwood campaign going, and it did not work for me or my group. We tried to establish the right vibe, as we saw it (and we're all fans, with knowledge to varying degrees, including one player with a tattoo of something elven on her wrist), and it just never worked. Dreary, plodding, and sparse: that's how the Wilderland Adventures felt, and when we started to push into the story foundations for Mirkwood the game just faded away - we had to take a short break for life, and when we reconvened we agreed that it was not working and not interesting. I think ME is a better story to be read, rather than an RPG to be played.

That side, thank you for introducing me to a new word: elegiac. I often receive compliments about my vocabulary, but that was a new one on me!

JPL

Adventurer
You're welcome. Good solid word.

I've been hip-deep in the Pendragon system for the past month or so, and I think maybe that has some of the same problems.

Maybe one way to make this work is a different wizard (aren't there some Blue Wizards who just kinda wandered off to the West?), a different Ring (there's all kinds of magic rings unaccounted for, right?), and a different Fellowship. If you gotta start in the same place, fine, but just walk in the opposite direction and see what's over there. If it all somehow affects the later adventures of Bilbo et al, fine, but you're not out there to be someone else's damn prequel.

JPL

Adventurer
Or you could go the other route and have the campaign take place about an hour behind LOTR. The PCs got a late start and keep showing up shortly after Gandalf or Aragorn do something cool and important.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Any one know of a release date? When I've checked on their website it's been rather vague and this article didn't mention one either.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
(aren't there some Blue Wizards who just kinda wandered off to the West?)

Like all the wizards, they came from the West, and wandered into the East.

Lots of distant mysterious lands there... the old ICE MERP tried to fill in those gaps, and some huge maps of the world beyond Middle Earth can be found with a quick search...

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Agreed. I ran this last summer for several sessions, in an attempt to get the Mirkwood campaign going, and it did not work for me or my group. We tried to establish the right vibe, as we saw it (and we're all fans, with knowledge to varying degrees, including one player with a tattoo of something elven on her wrist), and it just never worked. Dreary, plodding, and sparse: that's how the Wilderland Adventures felt, and when we started to push into the story foundations for Mirkwood the game just faded away - we had to take a short break for life, and when we reconvened we agreed that it was not working and not interesting. I think ME is a better story to be read, rather than an RPG to be played.

That side, thank you for introducing me to a new word: elegiac. I often receive compliments about my vocabulary, but that was a new one on me!

Same here for the vocabulary word! Much appreciated! :)

I have the core books for Adventures in Middle Earth and the Wilderland Adventures. They're gorgeous books, without a doubt. Although the cover art for the Player's book is weird. We have Gandalf...but yeah...why? No other covers have specific LotR/Hobbit characters?

I'm in the same boat regarding this setting. I love the movies and books but I just don't think this is a hook for my group, for the same reasons - too narrow of focus, maintaining the tone, and the licensing issue of 'you exist in some other hero's world'.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases