F. Wesley Schneider Is D&D's New Editor

Pathfinder designer F. Wesley Schneider has just started a new job as an editor for Dungeons & Dragons! He worked at Paizo from 2003, starting as assistant editor on Dragon magazine, became editor-in Chief, and left in 2017.

Pathfinder designer F. Wesley Schneider has just started a new job as an editor for Dungeons & Dragons! He worked at Paizo from 2003, starting as assistant editor on Dragon magazine, became editor-in Chief, and left in 2017.

a6271851affb4a3699c3f897df1672ce_400x400.jpeg

Schneider announced his new position on Twitter, and lists "Editor for Dungeons & Dragons" in his Twitter bio.

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably D&D is big enough to support more stuff and they might do more product. The usual suspects might be busy.

The hiring pool is kind of small at least if you want experience d designers. A few hundred total of which you have to find ones that are still active and then narrow it down further to who's available or willing to jump ship.

Death of Dragon and Dungeon make new recruits hard. The old 7 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon game can be played with D&D but it's more like 3 replacing Bacon with Gygax.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here's to hoping FWS is less of a numbers/rules-for-everything guy than I expect after working for Paizo for so long. I'm really burned out on number-crunching Pathfinder. I've been playing high-level Pathfinder for a few years now, and to say it's vastly inferior from 5e D&D in speed and flow is an understatement. YMMV.

I hope FWS brings some conciseness with him to Wizards though - Paizo can nail that in some cases, and as an editor, I'd guess this is his expertise.
I think he’ll be fantastic at it.

One thing Paizo sometimes do not get enough credit for, however, is their attention to story, flavor, and detail. I’ve often considered running Paizo adventure paths converted to 5e, because I find their plot lines and characterizations superior to the ones that have been coming from WotC in the 5e era. Not to say that Tomb of Annihilation, Dragon Heist, et. al. aren’t good, but compared to the Tiamat storyline, Princes of the Apocalypse, Storm King’s thunder, and such, I’d hold up Hell’s Rebels, Jade Regent, Giantslayer, Legacy of Fire, Carrion Crown, etc. any day of the week.

5e has the streamlining I want, but Paizo’s developers have a SUPER strong talent pool that I’d love to see bent towards a 5e system. I’m not really sure what WotC “editor” entails compared to what editors and developers at Paizo do; I do know Wes Schneider is the main guy responsible for the flavor of Ustalav in Golarion, and if he has the chance to bring that kind of detail and story elements to D&D worlds, then there will be a lot of happy customers who may not even know they wanted him working there. :)

Jharet

Explorer
more white guys ...

At least they have a female designer on staff. Would have like to see more representation from other ethnic groups, but I get the "pool" is probably pretty small?

Yeah, because actually being qualified for the job is secondary to how many boxes of intersectionality he checks.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads