You're doing what? Surprising the DM

pemerton

Legend
On the gambling analogy - a gambler is in a contractual relationship with the house. Putting to one side any concerns about gambling addictions, unsavoury practices/rigged wheels, etc, it is clear where the gambler's obligation to abide by the bet comes from.

Playing an RPG seems different from this in many many respects. What is the source of obligation for players being bound by choices they take, where - for them - the choices are of no interest, and carry no weight, and are purely more-or-less arbitrary and extraneous consequences of the ruleset they happen to be using?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Playing an RPG seems different from this in many many respects. What is the source of obligation for players being bound by choices they take, where - for them - the choices are of no interest, and carry no weight, and are purely more-or-less arbitrary and extraneous consequences of the ruleset they happen to be using?

When the player sits down at the table and says (implicitly or explicitly), "I'll play by these rules", her or she enters into an agreement - a social contract with the GM and other players. That social contract is the source of the obligation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This "theme" in D&D is confined to 3E. In AD&D there was no rule the Plane Shift wasn't accurate.

Don't have my 1e and 2e books on hand, so I'll have to look it up when I get home.

But aside form that, you say that like it is an indication that this is some Johnny-Come-Lately thing. It has been a dozen years, roughly a third of the existence of D&D!

Given that scry-buff-teleport wasn't in issue in the episode Hussar has described, it is not going to destabilise the balance of the game to (for instance) just free-narrate that the PCs arrive outside the city walls, or (if the dice are rolled) to move throught the travel part pretty quickly.

The operation of the spell should be consistent. If the GM does not intend the spell to generally be able to take the PCs exactly where they want to go, he or she should not set the expectation that it will. Free narrating that it did so here would be kicking the can down the road a bit, setting up the players for an issue later when the spell fails to do what they want, probably in a case where it would be far more critical for it to do so, which I expect would be far more harmful to the player-GM relationship than having to sit through a scene that doesn't really thrill you.

The GM would still be free to say, "You encounter nothing of interest in crossing the desert," of course.

But, interestingly, it now comes out that really, there is something interesting in the desert - an NPC that is apparently supposed to help frame the issues the party is going to encounter in the city! Several times now, I raised the issue of dismissing scenes out of hand - "How do you *know* there's nothing relevant to your city jaunt in the desert?" And lo and behold there apparently *WAS* something! Go figure!

A comment and question relating to this thread: it seems to me that adjudicating action declarations by reference to genre is a different GM role from permission being required as such for the PC to take a move in the gameworld. So, say in relation to the "siege of the city" situation being discussed in this thread, it seems to me their is a difference between the following:

Players 1: We wait for the bombardment to start, and then once it does we rush in close to the city walls and try to scale them

Players 2: We wait for the bombardment to start. Once it does, I jump up and grab hold of a boulder flying overhead, and ride it Mighty Thor-style over the city walls.[/iindent]

Of these, only number 2 seems to me to require any sot of GM "permission", in a D&D game, before we move on to action resolution,and that is because it, at least arguably, violates genre constraints.

What's your take?​

Yeah, interesting. In either case, does the GM need to adjudicate?

Here's some things I say, regularly, when GMing, and would be my most likely responses:

'Really?'

'Yeah? That seem plausible?'

'Really? What's everyone's thoughts on that?'

'Ah, ok? Didn't we agree we were playing 'gritty'? Does this fit your ideas?'

This, to me, is the rules at work in the hands of real people (the system, as Vincent Baker would say). In my hands this is not enforcement or adjudication. If I'm running the game both 1 & 2 get thrown back out to the floor for more discussion, concensus, enthusing, kibitzing and elaboration from everyone.

Do you think the distinction is important to your play, or to describe your play to others?​

Your first sentence is a non-sequitur. The player has said what the game is about, namely, it's about that player's peasant PC finding out whether or not he is to be king of the land.

If the GM decides, at the start, that "that's ridiculous" then the whole game is a waste of everyone's time.

Exactly. The key misunderstainding is that the GM has the authority to say "that's ridiculous" and exercises that authority to override that of the player. That the GM has the authority, and exercises it, to decide the game is about something other than that belief.

If I take the BW book into a hall of mirrors it suddenly looks really long and thin. All we hear, again and again, is the distorting mirror complaining that that's the book's fault.

Nagol

Unimportant
On the gambling analogy - a gambler is in a contractual relationship with the house. Putting to one side any concerns about gambling addictions, unsavoury practices/rigged wheels, etc, it is clear where the gambler's obligation to abide by the bet comes from.

but the choices do carry weight. The players traveled to another plane and moved their characters into that realm. The players chose not to prepare fast-travel abilities to their destination -- that has weight because now they have to find their destination, walk, and deal with the threats and opportunities presented along the way. It is only weightless if the authorial controller says there is none.

Now the players may not want the weight. That's a separate issue. If the players don't want a consequence they should prepare resources to avoid it. If they decide to do something and then don't want the result, they can ask for a change or shortcut. But they have to be prepared for the answer to be 'no' -- particularly in the case where the result is explicitly defined by the something they did .

A 'no' means the authorial controller believes something is at stake - especial reward, consumable resources, interpersonal relationships, life and livelihood of the PCs, etc., that other players are interested in the resolution, or other actions and consequences are playing out and will become evident like say a scouting party looking for the interlopers.

Celebrim

Legend
It's not a general part of the goals of BW - or of narrativist play in general - for the resulting output of play to have a 'novelistic' quality to it.

While I'm not an expert on BW, I have read Luke's introduction to the system and he is very clear that he created BW to be a better Dungeons and Dragons, and in particular as he was working on the system he realized that his goal was to produce better stories than D&D produced and specifically that the system would let you live out stories like the great epic fantasies. I invite anyone with the text to quote it. So, I think that while it may be your opinion that this isn't the goal of BW or narrativist systems in general, that isn't the author’s opinion (at least, from a few years ago, he may have mellowed since then).

As I mentioned upthread, the key word in the phrase "story now" is not story, it's now.

And again, I feel that this is just your interpretation. I think it would have surprised the designers and fans of narrative play 10 years ago that the whole purpose of their games was to improve pacing, and not improve the story of the game. I was rather unaware that the central idea of 'narrativist' was 'faster pacing'. If a narrativist game is delivering pacing first and story second, then some might see that as a misplaced priority. And in any event, that isn't how the products were originally 'sold'.

I don't know if you read [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION]'s posts a page or three upthread. But they showed an approach to GMing which involves a quite different extent and deployment of authorial power.

I have no problem conceding that there are different ways to organize authorial power. Not only am I aware of that, but it doesn't really harm my points.
The authoring in this paticular scene is shared between player and GM.

The player contributes the element that his PC is capering along the rail of the bridge. The GM contributes "and does so without falling".

This is only true in the sense that authoring of story is shared in any RPG. The player proposed something. The GM proposed the outcome. The same basic event could have happened in 3e D&D with a PC with 5 ranks in balance, a rail with a balance DC of 15, and a DM that decided that because nothing was at stake, the PC could 'take 10'. But note that in neither case are we delivering 'story now', much less 'quality story now'. And note that in either case, we don't really have a table conflict as long as everyone understands the stakes. So as far as I'm concerned, the bridge doesn't really offer us a good model for understanding what is at stake when you are 'surprising the DM' nor does it really address the issues of the thread. I guess to get to what is really at stake, we'd have to up the ante. Suppose the player in BW offers - purely for color - not to balance on the rail, but to balance on the mists rising out of the chasm, and caper across them. Is that 'pure color' by the same standard you are applying to balancing on the rail, and do you rule on it in the same way?

So in the scene described, another relevant consideration would be that, in crossing the bridge, nothing is at stake and hence tests (and advancement) aren't available. It is mere colour.

This is true only because the GM has decided nothing is at stake. It's quite easy to imagine that important beliefs are at stake if the player character topples into the chasm!

And that is not remotely contentious. As I've already mentioned upthread and reiterated in this post, there is no particular connection between narrativist play and "movie-style story as product". (And the comparison that Luke Crane makes to a movie is in terms of emotional response - "it would be like a false note in a bad action movie" - and not in terms of structural composition.)

I'm not sure that I agree in this based on the claims Luke makes about his system. However, it isn’t critical to the main thrust of the thread.

Perhaps the bits of the picture that you're missing aren't in what I quoted, but were in the OP of the BW play advice thread in which you participated - that the players author Beliefs and Instincts, in consultation with one another and with the GM, as part of setting up the overall themes and focus of the campaign.

I'm not missing that at all. What I'm seeing is that this is so broadly and loosely defined, and the GM so powerful and essential, that it isn't the system that causes this to happen, but the GM. And as with so many things in the 'system matters' model, the same GM can leverage almost any system to produce the same results simply by thinking about the system in the same way, and having players with the same agenda of play. So it's not clear to me that it is really the 'beliefs' that are achieving this in any functional sense. And what is really achieving what you claim is achieved is much less well described and nebulous and seems to come down to 'they talk about it'.

A BW GM who uses "say yes" to free narrate through scenes that enliven Beliefs, Traits and Instincts while calling for tests when none of those things enlivened is, by the express word of the rulebooks, doing it wrong.

And in the same way, a GM that regularly uses handwave technique to skip over things that matter, significant player choices, and conflicts is doing it wrong. Thus, in the same sense there can be disagreement over what matters and when "Say yes" is warranted. And also note, that there can be player motive to skip over things that enliven traits, beliefs, and instincts in order to obtain metagoals like security, empowerment, and 'victory'. How should a GM handle a player who says a scene that clearly relates to his beliefs, doesn't relate to his beliefs and thus should be said yes to it. I'd also like to point out that there is a potential player complaint that I'm quite sympathetic to that if the game is to be about my beliefs, it's counterintuitive that you 'say yes' to thinks unrelated to them but make it harder to succeed where it really matters to me. Many players are going to think it more intuitive that the system privileges what the player wants to obtain over things that aren't important to him. I understand why BW doesn't work that way, but I also can see why at first blush this is backwards (And notably, it is backwards from how most other Narrativist games approach the problem, though that may be because in my opinion BW seems much much more sim than nar.)

Your first sentence is a non-sequitur. The player has said what the game is about, namely, it's about that player's peasant PC finding out whether or not he is to be king of the land.

But note that that is very unlikely to be a player position. Hussar doesn't want to play a game where he finds out if he gets to 'the city'. He wants to get to the city. The game where the player's peasant PC finds out whether or not he is to be king of the land isn't want the player wants. He wants to be the rightful king of the land and play out the story of the conflict inherent in that.

If the GM decides, at the start, that "that's ridiculous" then the whole game is a waste of everyone's time. Which is to say, that would be bad GMing, at least as far as BW is concerned. The Character Burner actually has a discussion of a related GMing mistake (the Belief pertained to the resurrection of the PC's dead wife, and the GM let it happen carelessly in the game, almost as mere colour, which completely pulled the rug out from under that player's participation in the game), and cautions new BW GMs against it.

That isn't a 'related mistake'. That's almost the opposite mistake, but not even opposite enough to say it is related by being an antonym. The problem in your example is the GM carelessly and easy grants the goal. The problem I see with beliefs is that they don't actually inherently address player goals. Indeed, the most straight forward approach to a belief is to pile on reasons to question or challenge the belief, which suggests that even a GM who doesn't see the belief as ridiculous might deliberately or inadvertently create Don Quixote when the player wants Morte D'Arthur.

This has no bearing that I can see on how Beliefs work in BW play.

That's pretty much exactly my point. This whole 'Belief' system is extremely weak in addressing player narrative empowerment. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest it does nothing to address that, and what really addresses that isn't the system but the OOC talk about the system that consitutes prep. Which means that talking about the Beliefs really tells us nothing, and what we should be talking about in depth is the tenuously related to system process of preparing to play.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Exactly. The key misunderstainding is that the GM has the authority to say "that's ridiculous" and exercises that authority to override that of the player. That the GM has the authority, and exercises it, to decide the game is about something other than that belief.

Please show me that "I believe that your character believes he is the rightful king, even though he is not in fact the rightful king and is not recognized by anyone as such." is the failing to create a game that addresses player belief. We have a nice clear quotation from the text that says that the player's belief is not necessarily true, only that the character believes it to be true. Show me how the GM oversteps his authority to treat a belief as suspect. Show me how a GM oversteps his authority by challenging the belief with situations where sticking to that belief in the face of adversity is difficult. For example, is a scene in which the character is in a bar and the patrons of the bar hail the new king (the fraud, the usurper in the characters eyes) and heartily toast to his health, and then become upset with the character if he doesn't praise the current ruler by name and join in the celebration not addressing the character's belief and framing a scene that is about the character's belief? Is that scene outside the GM's authority? Is the player authorized to say, "I don't want that scene. I don't like these obstacles. I literally don't like the obstacle you have set for me to convince these people, that I the beggar am the true king deserving of their toasts and praise. It requires too many successes." Is that what BW says in the rules, or do you think that sort of behavior by a player might not bring out Luke's Imp? Show me how I'm distorting the game with a fun house mirror.

Last edited:

The GM would still be free to say, "You encounter nothing of interest in crossing the desert," of course.

But, interestingly, it now comes out that really, there is something interesting in the desert - an NPC that is apparently supposed to help frame the issues the party is going to encounter in the city! Several times now, I raised the issue of dismissing scenes out of hand - "How do you *know* there's nothing relevant to your city jaunt in the desert?" And lo and behold there apparently *WAS* something! Go figure!

Perhaps it could be said that the players don't want there to be anything interesting in the desert right now, or in the future, that affects their goals in the city. They don't know whether something was interesting in it, but they don't want complications from it screwing with them getting to the city or interacting with it. It's possible that the player(s) want to dismiss the desert scene entirely. I can envision a player that even might want to murder the desert and everything it stands for since it's seen as such a roadblock, but I don't think anyone in this thread (even [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]) is of that mind. He tried to give it an in-game reason to handwave it after all instead of ripping up the map and proclaiming the desert no longer exists. And I don't think anyone in this thread or even on these boards would try that stunt.

I'm not suggesting that the players should be perfect analytic machines who never make mistakes. I'm suggesting players bear some responsibility and should hold themselves accountable for predicaments of their own making and not get shirty when they aren't given a pass out of them -- particularly when the predicament can be made interesting (at least to a large subset of the player base) relatively easily with complications that follow the tropes of genres commonly emulated in the game engine.

If the other players agree (including the DM) to move on then obviously the group moves on. But without unanimity, the group should continue normal play. No player should expect to control flow save through the resources the game offers him -- it is a collaborative game after all and people have different agendas and focus of enjoyment. Most games do offer some measure of control --D&D certainly does with in-game resources. Any player can offer signals (the more clear the better) or attempt to negotiate with the table if they situation is less than agreeable, but not all such attempts will be successful.

The alternative is to change the premise of the game and the game engine to remove those types of predicaments. Don't want to deal with weighty decisions? Play a game where they don't come up. Don't want to deal with administration? Play a game where it is minimized. Don't want to deal with exploration/potential NPC agenda/random encounters? D&D wouldn't be my suggested game engine.

I realize I've been a bit back and forth and what my own views are, but I have mentioned I wouldn't be keen on nuclear options like one player saying "I don't have the in character resources to do this, but I just want to skip this scene." My first inclination would be to negotiate with the player. That might change depending on the campaign and players. However, if the people in his game agree that someone can go nuclear every now and then, then they're free to do that because they have every right to make the game their own.

Obviously not everyone did agree in those circumstances, to which I'd probably say going nuclear is not a good move because it can really unhinge people. Yes, there will be times when a person is bored to tears, but if their answer to a situation is to throw a wrench into the feel of the game itself then they'd better have a damn good reason.

If the only times [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] went nuclear were with the desert and those mercs, and he has done decades of D&D, then that's far less than even 1% of the time in his entire career where he's gone nuclear. I could see giving that sort of option to someone if it happened once or twice over the entire campaign. Maybe I'd call it a Destiny/fate system or something (and totally unrelated to anything bearing a similar name) where, if the player feels there's just no other way to go about it, they can spend one of their uses to totally skip a certain scene. Only once or twice in an entire campaign, and if they changed their mind and wanted to go back to it, oh well. Can't un-nuke something.

I don't think the entire game needs to be all or nothing with regards to having the players take responsibility for their actions. Sometimes having the option to ignore that is healthy for the players so they don't get overloaded. Yes, even experienced D&D players can be overloaded even if it doesn't come up in a certain campaign.

I try to deal in possibilities in this thread because it's only possible to make them a reality in some places not in this thread.

N'raac

First Post
The directional issue I'll disregard - for all we know, the PCs cast Commune.

For all we know they wanted that issue waived as well. That way, they don't need to use up spell slots on divination or travel spells.

As for the rest - I think it is well within the bounds of normal 3E D&D play to sometimes skip the Ride rules, and to treat the overland travel rules in a fairly cursory fashion. This was even part of normal AD&D play, which has far more detailed overland travel rules (closer to the much-discussed Exploration rules for Next) than does 3E.

Yup. Typically when there is nothing at stake and "take 10" would be adequate to ride the chosen mount successfully. Which is when the rules explicitly say "no need to roll". Celebrim agre with that 60+ pages ago, and I don't recall anyone disagreeing. Where the disagreement seems to lie is the belief that, even if Take 10 will not succeed, we shoul just handwave that and let them "take 12" or "take 20" or "take 24" or whatever they need to handwave the issue.

Second, how do you know the PCs don't have relevant siege gear - for all we know (given they seem capable of casting Plane Shift and summoning a huge centipede at will) they have Fly and Invisibility availabe in sufficient doses, or can Dimension Door through, or just have really good Climb and Hide in Shadows bonuses.

Few characters haul siege gear around. As for the spells, why run though a bombardmnet, then? It seems they can just skip the siege, so why not do so?

To engage the siege is to engage the city. The siege is a (relational) property of the city. That's the whole point. That's why it's different from the desert.

The PCs' goals are in the city. The players' goals are to play a fun RPG which involves pursuit of, and engagement with, their PCs' goals.

The siege is an obstacle to the PCs achieving their goals. But it is not an obstacle to achieving the players' goals. Rather, it is one way of achieving the players' goals. The contrast with the desert crossing is that that does not engage with the PCs' goals, because it is not about the city.

To repeat, The players' goals are to play a fun RPG which involves pursuit of, and engagement with, their PCs' goals. One such goal is within the city. To get to the city, the PC's must get past the desert and the siege. Both are obstacles to achieving the PC's' goals. Either can be an obstacle to achieving the players' goals, or a means to achieving them. If the players cannot have fun unless and until they are pursuing their PC's goals in the city, then neither the desert crossing no the siege engages with the players' goals either, because they are not within the city, despite being about getting to, and into, the city.

This confuses me. The reason it's not of interest is because it isn't relevant.

"Interest" and Relevant" being used as synonyms is pretty much completely wrong. Let us assume the PC's must get from the Inn to the Church to further their goals. The city is a maze of winding streets, so the GM narrates eight hours of players trying to navigate the streets. Relevant? Sure - we're pursuing our goals. Interesting? I suspect not. Perhaps the players and GM get side tracked into xtensive role playing with fellow travellers at the Inn. Nothing related to their goals comes up, but everyone had a terrific time. Interesting? Sure seems that way. Relevant? Not so much.

Even outside the bounds of BW play, I would have zero interest in being GMed by someone who responds to a player's setting of PC goals in the way that you describe.

Please show me that "I believe that your character believes he is the rightful king, even though he is not in fact the rightful king and is not recognized by anyone as such." is the failing to create a game that addresses player belief. We have a nice clear quotation from the text that says that the player's belief is not necessarily true, only that the character believes it to be true. Show me how the GM oversteps his authority to treat a belief as suspect. Show me how a GM oversteps his authority by challenging the belief with situations where sticking to that belief in the face of adversity is difficult. For example, is a scene in which the character is in a bar and the patrons of the bar hail the new king (the fraud, the usurper in the characters eyes) and heartily toast to his health, and then become upset with the character if he doesn't praise the current ruler by name and join in the celebration not addressing the character's belief and framing a scene that is about the character's belief? Is that scene outside the GM's authority? Is the player authorized to say, "I don't want that scene. I don't like these obstacles. I literally don't like the obstacle you have set for me to convince these people, that I the beggar am the true king deserving of their toasts and praise. It requires too many successes." Is that what BW says in the rules, or do you think that sort of behavior by a player might not bring out Luke's Imp? Show me how I'm distorting the game with a fun house mirror.

What I find entertaining about the discussion is that I've gamed many years with a player far more likely to mean "My character delusionally believes he is the rightful King of all the Land, and no amount of reality will shake that ludicrous delusion" than "No, really, my character really IS the rightful heir to the throne".

Bingo. After a period interacting with recruits (or slogging through the desert) and having nothing interesting come of it, I can see the request to move this stale scene along. Demanding it be skipped fom the outset because it cannot possibly be relevant or interesting seems much less reasonable. Now, in fairness, Hussar has commented on the contrived placement of such important personages, and I would expect the same response here. But really, a lot of source material events are pretty contrived. Just the fact that the PC's, and no one else, answer the call for adventurers that brings the party together seems pretty contrived.

Remove ads