D&D 5E Ghosts of Leilon 5e adventure

LapBandit

First Post
First, let me say that I am using http://my-realms.blogspot.com/2014/12/starter-set-sandbox-15-leilon-and-night.html by [MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION] (how do you @ a user anyway?) as 95% of the inspiration for this campaign I am going to run. His blog is awesome, you should read it if you are running anything in the Forgotten Realms and for general insight anyway.

My adventure description (going to be running this on roll20, but still putting together the adventure itself) so far is :

The once sleepy mining town of Leilon (South of Neverwinter, south-west of Phandalin) served as a convenient resting place for travelers on the High Road. Now, the few travelers who still take this route shun Leilon, going miles out of their way to avoid even laying eyes on the town. The High Tower of Thalivar long stood as a landmark here, abandoned by a forgotten mage. For generations, the tower proved a tempting target for plunderers-and, too often, a grave for them as well. The people of Leilon knew that the tower held guardian monsters, and they were content to leave it alone. However, the Spellplague's twisted magic unleashed the creatures trapped in the tower, which quickly ravaged the helpless village. Now, the tower is a place of terror, rumors say it's magic freezes in place all creatures whose eyes rest upon it, even for a moment.

Leilon has been abandoned since the Spell Plague as far as anyone knows. Now that the Sundering has ended the Spell Plague, rumor of activity and threat can be heard from the few travelers daring to get close to it's abandoned walls. Many organizations along the Sword Coast have long waited for this chance to plunder the riches of Leilon's mines and explore it's mysterious tower, and now it seems enough time has passed that they can wait no more.

I am planning that these factions are interested in Leilon:

The Lord's Alliance and their local proxy Lord Neverember.
The Zhentarim and their local group at Helm's Hold.
The Red Wizards of Thay and their every expansionist and immoral empire.
The Abolethic Sovereignty wishes to buy any skilled slaves it can get it's hands on for proxies and to absorb their memory and hopes the coming clashes will produce them in large numbers.

The Harpers are concerned about all four groups and their existing and potential power gains from exploring and possibly ruling Leilon.
The Order of the Gauntlet awaits unjust actions by either of the Lord's Alliance or the Zhentarim with baited breath but already has scores to settle with both the Thayans and Aboleths.

The adventure hooks:
The Lord's Alliance is hiring muscle/skill in Neverwinter to march down the coast and reclaim and rebuild Leilon for all the free people of the coast (and make a few bucks doing it). They want an early strike force to disrupt existing factions already in Leilon and explore the city and what remains of it's mines.
The Zhentarim view Leilon as a new seat of power now that Zhentil Keep and the Castle(Keep?) of the Raven are no longer in their hands. If the players already view the Zhents as the bad guys, they may need little impetus to want to thwart their attempts at colonization.
The Thayans seek a foothold from which to expand their power and per usual want to use slave labor to build this new bastion for them. If you players are coming from Lost Mine of Phandelver and defeated the necromancer at Old Owl Well, they may be spooked by further Thayan activity in the area and want to investigate.
Finally, if none of the above attract them, perhaps a local elder who once lived in Leilon tells tale of fabulous riches and magic items to be had below Leilon in it's deep mines.

My problems:

It doesn't look like anyone ever mapped Leilon, there are some cursory descriptions of the city which I am already using to create my own map, but if someone has already done that labor I'd love to use it.

I'm fairly certain I will use parts of the Night Below adventure, as well as the mega dungeon being created by Dyson Logos over at http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/ (as of Jan 10th, 2015).

What I'm really seeking is suggestions on what to do in addition to what I've described so far, any input is welcome!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Yep, you tagged me. ;)

Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for the kind words. I'm really happy when I read that others are using the material on my blog.

Secondly, I also get slightly jealous in that, while I am running a game in Phandalin right now, I'm super-keen to run a Leilon-based game using the material I posted including Night Below!

Thirdly, I love your set-up for this campaign. Yes, you need a decent map of a ruined city - I need to trawl my Paizo collection and, if I find something suitable, post it on the blog with a link here - but, otherwise, I think that's a great ruined city-based sandbox campaign and one I would love to run!

tomservo999

Explorer
Some really cool ideas for your campaign :) I've Gotten a lot of inspiration from the blog by [MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION] as well for my Neverwinter game.

LapBandit

First Post
Yep, you tagged me. ;)

Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for the kind words. I'm really happy when I read that others are using the material on my blog.

Secondly, I also get slightly jealous in that, while I am running a game in Phandalin right now, I'm super-keen to run a Leilon-based game using the material I posted including Night Below!

Thirdly, I love your set-up for this campaign. Yes, you need a decent map of a ruined city - I need to trawl my Paizo collection and, if I find something suitable, post it on the blog with a link here - but, otherwise, I think that's a great ruined city-based sandbox campaign and one I would love to run!

Hard not to use your material, same reason I tell jokes from /r/jokes off of reddit at work, it's way better than I could think of myself.

Do you ever play in campaigns? The Ghosts of Leilon is just in it's formative phase now, and if/when it becomes reality you'd be welcome at the (virtual/roll20) table.

Thank you for the offer of the map, if something turns up by happenstance that'd be great, but please do not go out of your way. If you don't know of a map off the top of your head I'm more sure than if Mike Mearls said so. I'll likely create a crude map myself or see if I can entice the folks in the D&D/world building/map building subreddits of reddit to build one =).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm not too familiar with reddit although I recently joined after links to my blog got posted there and really drove up traffic.

No, I generally don't play mainly because I really like the creative side of DMing, plus I seem to be the only one I know who will put the effort in! :) That said, thanks for your kind offer. I really thought about it as a change but my internet connection is really poor (hooray for corruption in the Third World!) and, while my long-time friends might tolerate me dropping out a few times, I don't think new acquaintances would quite so understanding.

And, on top of that, I think three games is enough. :) However, again, thanks for the offer.

I did a trawl on Google and through my Pathfinder stuff and I cannot find anything I think is suitable. I'm actually inclined to rough something up using Dungeonographer or Hexographer - whichever one is better - but it won't be pretty because I have the cartographic skills of projectile vomit.

But if you find something suitable, please let me know. :)

pedro2112

First Post
I, too, have gotten a lot of inspiration from Scrivener. My 5e home brew is using Neverwinter area as it's base. My party is going to be travelling to Leilon soon to recover a gnomish artifact stashed away in the abandoned (allegedly) High Tower of Thalivar. Although I did not run a Realms game for 4th Edition, I am using the 4th Ed Neverwinter campaign guide as a base. It is a fantastic book, in my opinion.

LapBandit

First Post
I, too, have gotten a lot of inspiration from Scrivener. My 5e home brew is using Neverwinter area as it's base. My party is going to be travelling to Leilon soon to recover a gnomish artifact stashed away in the abandoned (allegedly) High Tower of Thalivar. Although I did not run a Realms game for 4th Edition, I am using the 4th Ed Neverwinter campaign guide as a base. It is a fantastic book, in my opinion.

Considering it's only ten years later I think the campaign guide is perfectly useful. Just have to mindful of the end of the Spellplague, no more earth motes, and no Abeir effects since the worlds have split. Also, Many Arrows became hostile but their joint attempt to take the Silver M arches with the drow were beaten back. No idea on the start of thedwarven holds surrounding Many Arrows. Also, not sure about Luskan.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
I am interested in Leilon too. I have just finished running my group through LMoP and while their next session is a trip to Triboar, to get support for a joint effort at securing the Triboar Trail, I expect them to seek out Leilon at some point. Doing research on it, I had a bit of trouble reconciling the town's placement on the LMoP map with the old descriptions of it being a coastal town (albeit at a place where the waters where very shallow). My thought was that the sea retreated during the spellplague and the Mere of Dead Men has expanded.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I am interested in Leilon too. I have just finished running my group through LMoP and while their next session is a trip to Triboar, to get support for a joint effort at securing the Triboar Trail, I expect them to seek out Leilon at some point. Doing research on it, I had a bit of trouble reconciling the town's placement on the LMoP map with the old descriptions of it being a coastal town (albeit at a place where the waters where very shallow). My thought was that the sea retreated during the spellplague and the Mere of Dead Men has expanded.

Yeah, the sea retreated during the Spellplague.

Basically, all that stuff is explained by the Spellplague, and I am certain that the cartographer who did the 4E map was touched by the Spellplague IRL as well.

(Seriously, the 4E map of the Realms would have to be the crappiest RPG map published by TSR/WotC in 40+ years. Details? Nahhh. Accuracy? Nahhh. Just give me a giant smudge and type a few place names in vaguely correct locations.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases