D&D 5E Thoughts on Mearls' Comments on Fighter Subclasses Lacking Identity

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In the final analysis, I agree this is the issue-behind-the-issue.

They have limited page count, of course. They decide in the PHB to devote a ton of space to spells, give cleric 7 sub-classes, and wizards 8 sub-classes.

Fighters - who come in so many various shades as folks have pointed out - get 3 sub-classes. Rogues too.

I'm assuming these are decisions based on market research - IOW that most of the D&D players out there are interested in using magic.

So working with this (assumed) restriction, the way they made fighter sub-classes and almost purely mechanical distinctions makes sense. They just didn't have the space to write up 5-7 fighter sub-classes each with their own identity.

Which is a shame, because it's quite possible to write fighter sub-classes that strike the balance between identity, adaptability, and mechanics.

Personally, I think the Fighter and Rogue could both use 5-7 sub-classes. That way the CORE 4 classes each have a whole bundle of archetypes empowered in the rules.

5-7 fighter subclasses would have been great.

I mean, having flavorful subclasses didn't harm clerics. Some D&D setting have a deity for everything. There isn't an uproar because there's no Fire Domain. At least with the Light and Life domains existing, there is an example to houserule if you just needed a Fire cleric. At least you have examples to mix and match and have leverage in the suggestions to the DM.

There are pros and cons to having a blank state class. And the cons look worse once you see blatant favoritism.

Quickleaf

Legend
5-7 fighter subclasses would have been great.

I mean, having flavorful subclasses didn't harm clerics. Some D&D setting have a deity for everything. There isn't an uproar because there's no Fire Domain. At least with the Light and Life domains existing, there is an example to houserule if you just needed a Fire cleric. At least you have examples to mix and match and have leverage in the suggestions to the DM.

There are pros and cons to having a blank state class. And the cons look worse once you see blatant favoritism.

Well said. While I understand there's legacy stuff and marketing research, the other side of the coin is "if you design it, they will come."

You raise a good example of cleric sub-classes. Is EVERY cleric going to match up to a specific domain? Definitely not. But can you get close enough with 7-8 sub-classes? Probably, yeah. I mean, imagine if the cleric's sub-classes had been designed:
  • Battle Cleric
  • Support Cleric
  • Scholarly Cleric

Maybe people would be happier with that? Dunno. But this reduces the sub-class to its mechanical function, much like the fighter.

I actually think the idea to have the Basic classes use Basic generic sub-classes makes a lot of sense (e.g. Champion, Thief, Generalist Wizard, Pantheon Cleric), and then have the PHB sub-classes be where you can find the flavorful identity sub-classes.

Quickleaf

Legend
Tony Vargas said:
Heh. Of course, that could be because casters have had tons of options throughout the game's history, and are generally the best choice to have an impact in play.
Yes, there's a bit of chicken-or-the-egg going on here, I'm sure.

Though in AD&D I have seen fighter followers put to rather unconventional and effective use.

Hussar

Legend
Yes, there's a bit of chicken-or-the-egg going on here, I'm sure.

Though in AD&D I have seen fighter followers put to rather unconventional and effective use.

To be fair though, that was a big draw for fighters in adnd. Best followers. It made the whole "I'm a lord" thing stand up much better.

In 5e a fighter is no better than any other class as a leader of men and is considerably worse than several classes.

Same as being a scout. Every class save the paladin brings class abilities and/or proficiencies that make them a better choice for scout than a fighter.

It's the legacy of the design. Fighters are very, very good at single target dps and not much else. At best they're no worse than other classes but they are never better.

Wik

First Post
I like and appreciate the ability to reflavour a class in some way. But I also like some mechanics to support my character and their chosen specialty, and some base fluff and options for people who aren't feeling inspired or need that extra boost.
It's all well and good to portray your fighter as a canny knight and say they're a canny knight, but if they cannot actually ride a horse or fight in armour better than anyone else then that element is lost.

Yes and no. The problem is with the armour bit. If you CAN wear armour better than everyone else... you've created a big imbalance, and it means that every fighter out there has to be a canny knight. If they are not, they are basically viewed as "sub-par" by their companions. This goes back to "feat tax" territory from 3e and 4e.

Being a better rider than everyone else is awesome. Being better at combat, however, is not good. All fighters should be good at combat. Some should just have slightly different areas of specialization.

I'd rather have the subclasses offer some lore and related mechanics. The subclasses should still be "big tent" ideas, like the "thief" or the "life cleric" where there's a lot of room to have variety in that role. But no flavour, a totally blank slate, gives nothing for people to work with.

I think we disagree here. Not a big deal. I'm fine with generic classes like the fighter having generic classes. It just means that if you want your guy to be unique, you look towards your background or race instead. Which is awesome.

Just because a mechanic didn't work in the past doesn't mean it couldn't or shouldn't be attempted again.

We can agree that it's a warning sign though, right?

5e is filled with mechanics that did not work the first time but were refined and now function well.
The magic weapon argument doesn't work in this edition, where they're not necessary. If the player wants a weird weapon that's their choice and the game shouldn't remove an option because some people might make that choice poorly.

Sure, I'll give you that. But the problem is, if you allow weapon spec in the game, it basically forces everyone down that rabbit hole. Look at fighters in, say, pathfinder, where every fighter either goes TWF or power attack, and most take weapon spec as soon as possible.

It's a start. But if someone really wants to focus on shields, there's not a lot of options.

Personally, I think it's more than enough. You don't have as much abilities to spend on in 5th. That's a perk, not a bug. It means you can have some interesting characters without having to build them.

There's a lot of overlap between phalanx and legions. It mostly comes down to the size of the units. Really, Roman Legions were more flexible phalanxes.

No, not at all. Legions were grouped entirely differently, organized differently, and armed differently. They could move in difficult terrain because of their organizational structure, and didn't do what phalanxes did and fall apart on rough ground. Plus, while they were still vulnerable to the flank (all infantry is), they didn't instantly rout like the phalanx was prone to. Also, you could break a legion down into smaller and smaller groupings, and it'd still retain effectiveness. Your legion of 1000 men could, in theory, be broken down into ten units of 100 and still be able to work. And that unit of 100 could be broken into ten men of ten each, and those patrols would work.

A patrol of 10 phalanx soldiers does not work.

I've got an unfair advantage on you here. I have a LOT of books on military history of the ancient world. I realize you were just drawing an example out of the air, but you've hit my nerd hot zone, and I had to reply with gladius drawn. :)

Which is great when the fighter can take the feat, which might not be 6th or 8th level. And it doesn't make you a better rider, has nothing to do with lances, doesn't keep you in the saddle, or any number of other bonuses a mounted knight might have.

Fair enough. I'll give this to you.

So... really, you just don't want any new subclasses for the fighter.

Not at all. I just don't think they need to be oozing with flavour. There absolutely ARE fighter subtypes you can go with. A clerical fighter that's not a paladin clone (sort of like a divine eldritch knight). A medium armour skirmisher type. A mounted warrior.

None of these are tied to specific themes. A cleric clone could be an egyptian mameluk or a knights templar, for example. A medium armour skirmisher could be an english bowman or a roman legion. And a mounted warrior could be anything from a persian immortal to a classic knight.

A skilled players can work around any inherent flavour. Ignoring flavour really doesn't take any more work than making the flavour outright.
It can be a little trickier incorporating specific class features, but if you're reflavouring a subclass that you like anyway it's not a problem.

The problem is, not everyone is a skilled player. And it's better to just not have that flavour there to begin with. It stimulates the imagination more. I don't know if you ever played, say, BECMI, but even with a game where half the party were playing fighters, I always saw each fighter as being unique. Despite the fact that they were all mechanically very similar.

Same mechanics do not mean same flavour. But if you design flavour into those mechanics, and do your best to make the class flavourful, you'll tend to see the same character types crop up.

Quickleaf

Legend
To be fair though, that was a big draw for fighters in adnd. Best followers. It made the whole "I'm a lord" thing stand up much better.

In 5e a fighter is no better than any other class as a leader of men and is considerably worse than several classes.

Same as being a scout. Every class save the paladin brings class abilities and/or proficiencies that make them a better choice for scout than a fighter.

It's the legacy of the design. Fighters are very, very good at single target dps and not much else. At best they're no worse than other classes but they are never better.

Wasn't there a thing in OD&D/Chainmail where the Fighting-man could make enemy troops Despair and lose morale without even fighting? Sure, it's combat-focused, but it is the sort of thing that makes me think there has always been more to the fighter's design legacy than just "very good at single target dps and not much else."

Of course, OD&D/Chainmail were before my time, so someone else will need to confirm that for me.

But if we look at 2e's kits (which I'm not upholding as an example of excellent design), there's lots of cool stuff happening there.

I could easily see designers putting flavorful stuff like Followers, Despair, or whatever other flavorful stuff they want into the Fighter Sub-classes. So the core class would be the heart of the mechanics, and then all the stuff that "Fighter Purists" argue shouldn't be in the class can be siloed to various sub-classes. And the "Fighter Purists" simply can use the Champion sub-class.

Wik

First Post
Isn't that the issue though? None of those characters should share all mechanics. A Navy Seal has an entirely different skill set (as in skills, not fighting skills) than a Gaulish Barbarian. Yet, both are covered by a Fighter class which grants exactly the same skills and powers to all fighters.

So, why not have a few more fighter sub-classes that better cover some fairly specific styles of fighters better than a single umbrella class?

Because we're playing in a game that wants broad rules. It's up to the players to describe their characters in the way they want to be portrayed, not for the designers to design character types that they think players want to play.

Look, I've played, say, Pathfinder, where there are rules for EVERYTHING, and you have to build up the exact character type you want. It works for some people, but it doesn't for me. For a game like 5e, or BECMI, or Savage Worlds, or a d6 system, or a bunch of other games, there's a base around a very broad game system. You have to have mechanics around broad strokes, and hope that the players and GMs fill in the smaller work to fit specific ideas.

If you wanted the medieval navy SEAL, I'd make sure we could figure something out. And if you wanted the Roman Legion, there are ways I'd make that work, too. (using the rules as a starting point, I'd suggest navy seals are more con-based than anything else, get survival skill, have the soldier background, and use heavy crossbows for ambushes and then retreat. Lots of athletics and movement skills. Roman Legions would need a higher wisdom to reflect their reputed discipline, a longsword that we call a gladius and a shield, protection fighting style, and if the GM was nice, wisdom saves instead of constitution saves).

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=40177]Wik[/MENTION]
It's a question of depth. A lot of it comes down to what I am now dubbing the Cavalier Factor.

For some players to feel satisfied they're playing a cavalier, they'd be happy with a horse, some heavy armor, a noble background, lawful good alignment, and maybe the Mounted Combat feat. Maybe less than that.

For some player to feel satisfied they're playing a cavalier, they'd be happy with a horse with character traits, customizable heavy armor, a noble title and followers, a cavalier's code, and abilities letting them perform amazing feats of horsemanship. Maybe more than that.

Neither approach is right or wrong. They're just different tastes. :)

I believe D&D 5e should be able to handle both scenarios, and the place the system is best equipped to do that is in class and sub-class design.

D&D 5e may not be as rules-intensive as a Pathfinder (and definitely not as heavy as Shadowrun!), but it's also not as rules-light as Savage Worlds or OD&D (and definitely not as light as RISUS!). There's room enough for flavorful mechanical variety within each class without bloat.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Wasn't there a thing in OD&D/Chainmail where the Fighting-man could make enemy troops Despair and lose morale without even fighting? Sure, it's combat-focused, but it is the sort of thing that makes me think there has always been more to the fighter's design legacy than just "very good at single target dps and not much else."

Of course, OD&D/Chainmail were before my time, so someone else will need to confirm that for me.

But if we look at 2e's kits (which I'm not upholding as an example of excellent design), there's lots of cool stuff happening there.

I could easily see designers putting flavorful stuff like Followers, Despair, or whatever other flavorful stuff they want into the Fighter Sub-classes. So the core class would be the heart of the mechanics, and then all the stuff that "Fighter Purists" argue shouldn't be in the class can be siloed to various sub-classes. And the "Fighter Purists" simply can use the Champion sub-class.

One other other things the fighter had was intimidation. In 3e and 4e, the fighter had Intimidate as class skill.

The playtest fighter subclass as a gladiator, it had some type of Fear attack when it rolled a critical hit. Because of the surveys, they dropped the whole thing.

Why didn't they just rename it? Maybe to something like the Dreadnaught. Maybe steal some from the legendary dreadnaught epic PRC?

3rd level: BRUTAL CRITICAL
Whenever you score a critical hit with an attack, each enemy withing 30 feet who can see you must make a Wisdom saving of be frightened for a number of turns equal to your CHA modifier.

7th level: SCARY FACE?
Advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks.

10th level: UNSTOPPABLE AND UNMOVABLE
Add 1/2 your Charisma score to your Strength checks.

FEED OFF FEAR
Whenever an enemy fails a Brutal Critical saving throw, gain THP equal to your fighter level + your CHA modifier.

Can't do that with the current one.

Quickleaf

Legend
One other other things the fighter had was intimidation. In 3e and 4e, the fighter had Intimidate as class skill.
You're misinformed. Fighters in 5e can select Intimidation as a skill. I'm looking at Basic rules pdf right now.

The playtest fighter subclass as a gladiator, it had some type of Fear attack when it rolled a critical hit. Because of the surveys, they dropped the whole thing.

Why didn't they just rename it? Maybe to something like the Dreadnaught. Maybe steal some from the legendary dreadnaught epic PRC?

3rd level: BRUTAL CRITICAL
Whenever you score a critical hit with an attack, each enemy withing 30 feet who can see you must make a Wisdom saving of be frightened for a number of turns equal to your CHA modifier.

7th level: SCARY FACE?
Advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks.

10th level: UNSTOPPABLE AND UNMOVABLE
Add 1/2 your Charisma score to your Strength checks.

FEED OFF FEAR
Whenever an enemy fails a Brutal Critical saving throw, gain THP equal to your fighter level + your CHA modifier.

Can't do that with the current one.
I mentioned elsewhere that a fighter is about 3 things, not one thing (as the "fighters fight and only fight" mantra argues).

These 3 things are:
  1. Battle
  2. Staying Power (in all ways)
  3. Reputation/Renown

So your idea about a sub-class built on Intimidation makes a lot of sense as a way to channel that 3rd pillar of fighter design (Reputation/Renown). In my own re-design, I actually think the way a particular fighter's Reputation/Renown expresses is probably best tied to their choice of sub-class.

For example, one super-easy house rule that adds a ton of flavor is to allow fighters to swap out Ability Score Improvements/Feats for Marks of Prestige (things like strongholds, letters of marque, titles, followers -- described in the DMG). This simple move takes advantage of the fact that fighters gain 2 extra feats over other classes. For some campaigns it could go a long way toward giving the fighter more depth of play, particularly outside of combat.

Remove ads