D&D 5E On Past Tenses and Paladins

What is the proper past tense of smite (in divine smite)?

• Smote.

Votes: 45 77.6%
  • Smited.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Smitten.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Smiting.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smat.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Circumlocution (I used divine smite).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Doesn't matter. You shouldn't play a Paladin.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • I don't answer polls unless they slander gnomes.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Poll closed .

guachi

Hero
Smote.

Smitten is the past participle (and since it's smitten, smote is almost assuredly derived from Old English).

Smiting is the present particple.

EDIT: Adding that since smite undergoes an internal vowel change (ablaut) for the past tense that's another marker that smite is almost assuredly derived from Old English.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Smote.

Smitten is the past participle (and since it's smitten, smote is almost assuredly derived from Old English).

EDIT: Adding that since smite undergoes an internal vowel change (ablaut) for the past tense that's another marker that smite is almost assuredly derived from Old English.

Boooooo! Booo I say at this actual attempt at an English lesson. I didn't come here to learn!

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Smote.

Thus, in complete sentences:

Present: "I smite you."
Present Participle: "I am smiting you."
Past: "I smote you."
Past Participle: "You have been smitten."

BoldItalic

First Post
Seems to me there is a gap to be filled here.

Suppose a fair damsel allures a paladin so that he falls in love with her. He declares that she is utterly divine. We could reasonably say that he is smitten. But what is the corresponding active verb? What has she done to him? Has she smited him? Or smitten him? Neither sounds quite right. Perhaps she has smoten him? No, that sounds wrong, too.

This is an important question. Whole libraries of books of romantic twaddle are being held up half-finished for lack of a mot juste.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Circumlocution. I hate using past participles I'm not sure about, so I'll try to avoid them whenever necessary. "I did smite" or "I used smite" are the basic structures I use when it comes up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases