D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

Oofta

Legend
I thought there were 10 rounds in a turn, 6 turns in a minute. I woulda swore by this but in an earlier game a player refuted it and I didn't know where I had seen it.

While 5E doesn't explicitly state some of this (that I know of)
  • There is one turn for each individual in the combat, although DMs sometimes combine NPCs for simplicity.
  • A round of combat can be the combat round which goes from the start of the first creatures initiative to the next time their initiative comes up.
  • A creature's round goes from the start of their turn to the start of the next turn.

Either type of round lasts roughly 6 seconds, there are as many turns as necessary for everyone to get a turn.

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=284]Caliban[/MENTION], sorry you got pulled into the "invisible gargoyle" non-controversy. I've given up on the nit-pickers who insist on arguing, even though they can't point to any rules to support what they say.

First, I've never stated you should regularly use undetectable creatures/object as obstacles. Always follow Rule #5 of DMing "Don't be a dick". In addition, these are just my rulings, they are not directly supported by the rules but neither are they contradicted in any way by the rules.

My ruling is that in order to know where something is that there must be something that can be perceived. What can be perceived without magic or supernatural ability? Sight, sound, smell, temperature (if significantly different from ambient), and touch.

So yes, in some cases a creature/object will be undetectable even though they never took the hide action, either in or out of combat.

That's all. Oh, and find me a quote where it says "you must take the hide action to become undetected" in the book and I will send you $50.

ProphetSword

Explorer
I thought there were 10 rounds in a turn, 6 turns in a minute. I woulda swore by this but in an earlier game a player refuted it and I didn't know where I had seen it.

Wouldn't that make each round just 1 second long? Seems like a short amount of time to perform actions and move.

The confusion, I think, stems from the fact that the terms "round" and "turn" had different meanings in all previous versions of D&D, which is why I frequently see people get it wrong.

It's also why some DMs try to limit how many times a rogue can sneak attack in a round.

Oofta

Legend
Wouldn't that make each round just 1 second long? Seems like a short amount of time to perform actions and move.

The confusion, I think, stems from the fact that the terms "round" and "turn" had different meanings in all previous versions of D&D, which is why I frequently see people get it wrong.

It's also why some DMs try to limit how many times a rogue can sneak attack in a round.

From the basic rules page 69

The Order of Combat
A typical combat encounter is a clash between two sides,
a flurry of weapon swings, feints, parries, footwork, and
spellcasting. The game organizes the chaos of combat
into a cycle of rounds and turns. A round represents
about 6 seconds
in the game world. During a round, each
participant in a battle takes a turn. The order of turns is
determined at the beginning of a combat encounter, when
everyone rolls initiative. Once everyone has taken a turn,
the fight continues to the next round if neither side has
defeated the other.

Here they are referring to combat rounds (other places refer to a round for and individual, such as duration).

But yes, it's assumed that a round lasts about 6 seconds. There can be as many, or as few turns as there are combatants.

Remember that D&D is a gross over-simplification of virtually simultaneous activity in combat, and is one of those things like Hit Points or Armor class that it simply isn't worth thinking too much about.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
[MENTION=284]Caliban[/MENTION], sorry you got pulled into the "invisible gargoyle" non-controversy. I've given up on the nit-pickers who insist on arguing, even though they can't point to any rules to support what they say.

First, I've never stated you should regularly use undetectable creatures/object as obstacles. Always follow Rule #5 of DMing "Don't be a dick". In addition, these are just my rulings, they are not directly supported by the rules but neither are they contradicted in any way by the rules.

My ruling is that in order to know where something is that there must be something that can be perceived. What can be perceived without magic or supernatural ability? Sight, sound, smell, temperature (if significantly different from ambient), and touch.

So yes, in some cases a creature/object will be undetectable even though they never took the hide action, either in or out of combat.

That's all. Oh, and find me a quote where it says "you must take the hide action to become undetected" in the book and I will send you $50.

Does either of these count:
"If I’m invisible and I shoot an arrow at a target, is hiding again an action? Without a special ability, hiding in combat requires the Hide action."
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016
Yes, the question is more specific, but the answer is pretty generic for combat situations.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/01/20/does-invisibility-spell-auto-hide-you/

You can still target an invisible creature with dispel magic:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/invisibility/

Oofta

Legend
Does either of these count:
"If I’m invisible and I shoot an arrow at a target, is hiding again an action? Without a special ability, hiding in combat requires the Hide action."
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016
Yes, the question is more specific, but the answer is pretty generic for combat situations.
That was a specific question about taking the hide action. I don't see how it applies.

Your answer is in the response. You make noise. I've never said invisibility automatically makes you undetectable.

You can still target an invisible creature with dispel magic:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/invisibility/
Again, the assumption is that you are heard or are interacting with the environment in a way that can be seen (leaving footprints).

The rules answer doesn't apply, the tweets state that the person doing the perception is still seeing or hearing something. I agree ... you see footprints appearing in the mud you know someone is there. Hear someone casting a spell, same thing.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
That was a specific question about taking the hide action. I don't see how it applies.

Your answer is in the response. You make noise. I've never said invisibility automatically makes you undetectable.

Again, the assumption is that you are heard or are interacting with the environment in a way that can be seen (leaving footprints).

The rules answer doesn't apply, the tweets state that the person doing the perception is still seeing or hearing something. I agree ... you see footprints appearing in the mud you know someone is there. Hear someone casting a spell, same thing.

The rule that says you must use the hide rule to be detected is with the rule that says you must use athletics to climb a cliff [assuming no Climb speed since that is a rule that can be referenced].

You give a proof that is no proof. It is a psychological game people use when they don't have any real proof of their own stand by trying to make them prove something they don't have to. A person can completely ignore your "argument" and still be running the GAW/RAW. Now if you ever wish to make a real argument with actual written reference go ahead. Otherwise, go ahead and keep your $50, it is a fools bet and means very little.

CheezyRamen

First Post
Can someone clarify this for me? Half Orc relentless endurance, if the half orc is not outright killed then when it drops to 0 it instead is at 1.

However, the death rules state that having your max hp done to you after 0 means instant death.

So wouldnt a 10 hp half orc that takes 20 dmg be instantly dead? I thought this was explicitly written in the rules until it was contended.

Help?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a Long Rest.

Taking 20 HP when your max HP is 10 reduces you to 0 HP and kills you outright, so a half orc wouldn't be able to use their Relentless Endurance ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases