D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019: "Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm...

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

Dragonlance can suffer a "jump the shark" effect, and the PCs can't change the timeline if this is affected by the canon characters from the novels.... but if there is something like the time spheres from the AD&D Chronomancer sourcebook, alternate timelines. My theory is Dragonlance return will be after a D&D blockbuster movie with enough success. Warner Bros would love Dragonlance like a new "lord of the rings".

* Birthright would be for a Real-Time-Strategy videogame with mass battles, and Mystara for a Capcom's arcade.

* We can't forget the setting Nentir Vale, where all new options of races and classes can be added easily.

* Greyhawk is special, but now it can't be added more things.

epithet

Explorer
* Greyhawk is special, but now it can't be added more things.
Not sure what you mean. Most of the D&D 5e published adventures seem like they would have been much more appropriately set on Oerth instead of Toril. For example, the Tomb of Annihilation is a mashup of Tomb of Horrors (from Greyhawk) and Dwellers of the Forbidden City (also Greyhawk.) It should have been set in Hepmonaland, not Chult. Princes of the Apocalypse is a sequel to the Temple of Elemental Evil, involving the resurgence of the cult of Tharizdun. This should have been a Greyhawk adventure. Out of the Abyss could as easily be about the shenanigans of a rogue wizard of House Eliservs, from Erelhei-Cinlu. Storm King's Thunder seems like a sequel to Against the Giants, and could as easily have been set in the World of Greyhawk.

WotC seems intent on taking the stories of the World of Greyhawk and carrying them forward with content that is totally appropriate for that setting... and then wrenching them away to force them into the Forgotten Realms. It's pretty obviously a way to support tie-in video game content and the novels and characters written by Salvator and Greenwood, but these adventures have clear Greyhawk DNA. Even the latest adventure, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, is a throwback to the original D&D campaign, the dungeon (Castle Greyhawk) of the mad mage (Zagig Yragerne,) featuring his old apprentice (Iggwilv, aka Tasha.)

It seems almost as if the D&D team are writing adventures specifically for the World of Greyhawk, then adapting them to fit their generic "kitchen sink" setting to facilitate cross-marketing. Like there's someone there at WotC who looks at every adventure being playtested and says "That's great, but before it's published we need to put Drizzit and Minsk in there somewhere. Oh, and show me where it is relative to the Sword Coast." Perhaps behind the illusion of an unassuming librarian-turned-author, Ed Greenwood is actually a ruthless tyrant who, with his Sith apprentice Darth Salvatore, crushes all dissent from Mearls or Perkins who nevertheless keep trying to produce Greyhawk adventures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not sure what you mean. Most of the D&D 5e published adventures seem like they would have been much more appropriately set on Oerth instead of Toril. For example, the Tomb of Annihilation is a mashup of Tomb of Horrors (from Greyhawk) and Dwellers of the Forbidden City (also Greyhawk.) It should have been set in Hepmonaland, not Chult. Princes of the Apocalypse is a sequel to the Temple of Elemental Evil, involving the resurgence of the cult of Tharizdun. This should have been a Greyhawk adventure. Out of the Abyss could as easily be about the shenanigans of a rogue wizard of House Eliservs, from Erelhei-Cinlu. Storm King's Thunder seems like a sequel to Against the Giants, and could as easily have been set in the World of Greyhawk.

WotC seems intent on taking the stories of the World of Greyhawk and carrying them forward with content that is totally appropriate for that setting... and then wrenching them away to force them into the Forgotten Realms. It's pretty obviously a way to support tie-in video game content and the novels and characters written by Salvator and Greenwood, but these adventures have clear Greyhawk DNA. Even the latest adventure, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, is a throwback to the original D&D campaign, the dungeon (Castle Greyhawk) of the mad mage (Zagig Yragerne,) featuring his old apprentice (Iggwilv, aka Tasha.)

It seems almost as if the D&D team are writing adventures specifically for the World of Greyhawk, then adapting them to fit their generic "kitchen sink" setting to facilitate cross-marketing. Like there's someone there at WotC who looks at every adventure being playtested and says "That's great, but before it's published we need to put Drizzit and Minsk in there somewhere. Oh, and show me where it is relative to the Sword Coast." Perhaps behind the illusion of an unassuming librarian-turned-author, Ed Greenwood is actually a ruthless tyrant who, with his Sith apprentice Darth Salvatore, crushes all dissent from Mearls or Perkins who nevertheless keep trying to produce Greyhawk adventures.

It's almost as if Greenwood had made a pastiche of his fanfic setting with Greyhawk, and then spent decades providing personal support for it.

There isn't much to Greyhawk that doesn't fit naturally in the Realms. They are both standard issue D&D, but one has a history of successful media and the original creator offers answers on Twitter to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

I fully expect that any 2019 campaign setting they release will be Magic the Gathering related, which I won't buy because I generally despise M:tG.

However, if they were to release a hardcover Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron with a) more information on the rest of the world besides Sharn, and b) a more balanced Shifter and Warforged race, then I would be happy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Reply to OP.

I fully expect that any 2019 campaign setting they release will be Magic the Gathering related, which I won't buy because I generally despise M:tG.

However, if they were to release a hardcover Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron with a) more information on the rest of the world besides Sharn, and b) a more balanced Shifter and Warforged race, then I would be happy.

What if they do Eberron in Magic next year, and what you want ends up being M:tG related...?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
If there is a hardcover Eberron guide intended for D&D 5th edition, then I will buy that specific product and be happy.

A Dark Sun or Dragonlance 5e campaign guide would make me even happier, but they seem less likely to occur in 2019 IMO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If there is a hardcover Eberron guide intended for D&D 5th edition, then I will buy that specific product and be happy.

A Dark Sun or Dragonlance 5e campaign guide would make me even happier, but they seem less likely to occur in 2019 IMO.

All three seem probable in the next few years, really. They are openly testing for an Eberron book, talking about Dark Sun, and Dragonlance is a natural fit for the model laid out by Guildmaster's Guide.

Reply to OP.

How would you feel if that hardcover Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was print-on-demand via the DMsGuild?
What if it was softcover? Would that still be okay?

Remove ads

Remove ads