Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Richards

Legend
As a season finale, that was pretty underwhelming. Old tooth-face really didn't come across as that much of a threat. (I get the part with the compressed planets - last seen (and better done) in the Fourth Doctor's "The Pirate Planet" - but he himself was more or less crippled and on life support. The fact that he couldn't even fight off Graham and Ryan kind of says it all.) And I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Ux and the fact that they're a two-person race. Like, a whole race comprised of only two people? Ever? That seems like a concept that could have used some working out (or abandoning) before going to production.

All in all, this was a pretty mediocre and disappointing season. I'll hope for a decent New Year's episode, and that with an extra year to work on the next season Chibnall will get his act together a little better. Have we heard how many episodes the next season (in 2020) will be? With an extra year to work on them, I would hope he'd manage to get back to the standard 13 instead of giving us another truncated 10-episode season.

Johnathan

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Last I heard, the next season will be fewer. Chernobyl or whatever his name is was whining about the production schedule for just 10 episodes. He doesn't think they can do 10 or more in the time they've been given for next season. That may be why we have to wait until 2020. That way they can do more than 6, which is what he said they can do for 2019. I'll see if I can find the source. I could have my information wrong. It does fit the narrative we have so far , though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Eh. A link to an article which contains a link to a 2-month old article which refers to a tabloid article which predates the recent season. I'm happy to dismiss that one. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Her actions in the season premiere put Tim Shaw into the position of being able to kill planets, and provided him the motivation to do so.

She also gave him 3000 years to rethink his life - but he chose to not do that. That's on him.

delericho

Legend
Last I heard, the next season will be fewer. Chernobyl or whatever his name is was whining about the production schedule for just 10 episodes. He doesn't think they can do 10 or more in the time they've been given for next season. That may be why we have to wait until 2020. That way they can do more than 6, which is what he said they can do for 2019. I'll see if I can find the source. I could have my information wrong. It does fit the narrative we have so far , though.

The "6 episodes next year" thing was when the BBC were holding out for some Who in 2019. Now they've delayed until 2020 that's no longer a factor. I would therefore expect 10 episodes, the same as this year.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, having not said anything until I could put the season more into perspective...

I think this was perhaps one of the best written Who season thus far. I think they did an exceptional job at the hand off. They knew they had to nail this season considering some of the naysayers and I think they did it perfectly.

I think it also dealt more directly with more controversial issues that are current in our society today than any other season of Doctor Who previously. It dealt with many of the ideas that are circulating today, but with good writing and a focus on being entertaining.

I think it is off to a great start, sad to hear the next season is so far off. We do get a New Years special...right?

Remove ads