Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

I'm thinking this would be a good book to bring back some of the missing aquatic creatures such as the Locanthah, Aquatic Elves (I know MTOF provides PC rules, but give us NPCs and a little detail on culture, etc), the Hippocampus, and maybe even the Demon Lord Dagon... be nice if they included a chart specifying which are fresh-water and which are salt-water, as well as what happens if a critter from one kind of water enters the other (as was the case in the 3.5 supplement Stormwracked, I believe). Also effects on spells underwater and all that good stuff. More rules for shipboard weapons such as cannons/gunpowder?

Stormwrack was an amazing book for 3.5, and I'd love to see more books like it for 5th edition (even if I don't play 5th). I'm more interested in books that provide material for our campaigns, rather than books that provide the campaign itself. Tell me how to run naval encounters, provide me with more more aquatic creatures, new underwater gear and the stats for ships, and I'll make a pirate campaign around it myself.

View attachment 103993

JPL

Adventurer
This is perhaps an overlooked point. "Ships" doesn't have to mean "Pirates". Their is a whole sub-genre of navel adventure stories set during the age of sail which can serve as inspiration for a more serious* nautical campaign.

*Pirates, although the reality was grim, have long been associated with light-hearted adventure, since long before Jack Sparrow came along. See Treasure Island (1883) and Peter Pan (1904).

Splitting the difference and making the PCs privateers . . . licensed pirates, more or less . . . is probably a good angle. Another good angle would be to clearly set up a major naval power as Lawful Evil (Zhents on a boat?), in order to accommodate Chaotic Good / Chaotic Neutral PCs.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Splitting the difference and making the PCs privateers . . . licensed pirates, more or less . . . is probably a good angle. Another good angle would be to clearly set up a major naval power as Lawful Evil (Zhents on a boat?), in order to accommodate Chaotic Good / Chaotic Neutral PCs.

Amn might work better than the Zhentarim.
Reading through Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Amn seems (to me anyway) to have a kind of "Spanish Empire" feel, which would make them a perfect LE/LN opponent on the high seas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reading through Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Amn seems (to me anyway) to have a kind of "Spanish Empire" feel, which would make them a perfect LE/LN opponent on the high seas.

Amn or Calimshan would seem like the best choices for a "rival empire" for a Sword Coast adventure, with Waterdeap as the "Royal Navy" equivalent.

The Zhents might back a pirate fleet, but they would hardly muster a fleet of their own (unless it's a reanimated fleet of ghost ships).

JPL

Adventurer

Indeed. Maybe the Zhents are more along the lines of the East India Company . . . all lawyers, muskets, and money.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
First, no cannons.

In the Forgotten Realms there are cannons.

Second, trigger happy mages.

If cannons are present, they typically will outrange low level mages. Without cannons, boarding actions would be more common, so not that much different than land actions. Just some extra complications.

Third, D&D being a group game where everyone wants in on the action instead of the captain making the decision (especially trigger happy mages).

Other RPGs make this work (like Star Finder) and it looks like the ship rules they released for comment give some nod to this. I think they missed a few roles in their nautical supplement, but the concept mostly works.

Forth, a completely different combat mechanic for naval engagements. You have flying, said mages and soon players will find out that with some magic they can attack ships from below which is very risk free.

It doesn't really require a different mechanic unless you want to make it a war game instead of an RPG. And they factors have been true with all version of D&D and in thousands of games run. So what?

And then there are all the different races with all their different takes and technology levels for their ships (at least when you follow FR lore).

So?

So my expectation is that any D&D nautical book will be a complete mess and requires an extra suspension of disbelieve to work. And that does not even address the problem of how to integrate ship vs ship combat where most of the time the entire party will have only one ship and thus one or two guys making the important decisions while the others are at best supporting roles into a game which spends a lot of effort on having everyone be effective in combat. That is a completely different mindset. Not to mention that naval combat usually requires several concepts D&D specifically ignores like facing.

You make this sound difficult -- it isn't. I have done it many, many times with every version of D&D. DMG does have rules for facing. It doesn't have very good rules for creatures and objects that are long compared to wide, but in ship-to-ship combat running it like a wargame would be kind of dull anyway.

And apart from combat a lot of problems of sailing like provisions, etc. are solved by low level spells and generally ignored for land travel anyway, so nothing you can fill a book with. This even extends to the motivation of being a pirate in the first place as money is plentiful in D&D and you get enough of it by simple adventuring. So why be a pirate which takes more effort and is not in any way less dangerous?

Yes, this is what magic is for, to solve problems. However, even in a magic rich world like the Forgotten Realms, not every ship will be staffed with mages and clerics.

Being a pirate is just a different from of adventuring. Also, I would assume the PCs are more likely fighting pirates and/or using nautical transportation to take them to an adventuring site. Sindbad and the Seven Seas comes to mind.

I would be surprised if WotC manages to solve all this problems but I do not believe it.

Life is full of surprises. Hopefully this supplement will be one.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Mmmm. This news bodes well. My players still dream of a mercantile fleet of their own. And with the provincial capital under siege, and a blockaded port, naval stuff would fit well.
I am very interested in this book, I hope it comes out in earlier spring, like April or something.

I am also interested to learn more about these new minis by wizkids. I am still looking for ship minis, rather than big platforms I can put other figs on.

Seriously excited about this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. I must have missed all that. I enjoyed it for what it was, and I was under the impression that it had been well-received.

It was a very minor controversy, and the book was still well received: but Mearls & Co. did own the criticism publically, and are apparently learning from it moving forwards, which is good.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I felt that ToA was told very much from the perspective of the colonial powers, rather than native cultures, which where barely fleshed out. Personally, I didn't have a problem with that, but I can see why some might.

I thought it was a great book, and enjoyed it: but there are things they could have done to improve it significantly, from a cultural sensitivity point of view, without much work. Cultural sensitivity is not my usual hobby horse, but setting a book in Darkest Afr...Chult bears more careful thought given the history there.

Remove ads

Remove ads