Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Minor point but I remember when the series was first discussed and a point of difference was that the main character wasn’t the captain. Is it just me or does it feel like Burnham might be the new captain? Saru pointedly ducked Pike’s question.

Derren

Hero
Minor point but I remember when the series was first discussed and a point of difference was that the main character wasn’t the captain. Is it just me or does it feel like Burnham might be the new captain? Saru pointedly ducked Pike’s question.

That would be the final nail on Discoveries coffin.
Not that it would change much, Burnham is already the most important thing in the universe as everything revolves around her anyway.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Because arguably the greatest characters in the Discovery series have been the various captains - Pike, Saru, Lorca, Philippa Georgiou. If you remove that component well...

While I agree they are the best characters, IMHO, if you think about it Burnham would be the obvious choice for a promotion (albeit leap frogging Saru as current first officer) given that the Universe revolves around her and she has the answers to all important problems facing the crew . . . only slightly tongue in cheek!

Sadras

Legend
While I agree they are the best characters, IMHO, if you think about it Burnham would be the obvious choice for a promotion (albeit leap frogging Saru as current first officer) given that the Universe revolves around her and she has the answers to all important problems facing the crew . . . only slightly tongue in cheek!

Mary Sue upwards and onwards...
The writers have completely destroyed that actress for me.

Sadras

Legend
Just checking - I imagine you mean the character rather than the actor! :)

No...Sonequa has now played two angst-filled characters back-to-back having come from The Walking Boring. So nevermind the angst-baked Michael Burnham character, the ST writers made her Mary Sue as well. Right now, I cannot imagine I will like any character she plays from here on out.

Hussar

Legend
I'm still utterly baffled by this whole "Mary Sue" criticism. I really am. What has she done that merits this? Is she a better fighter than anyone? Well, no, she routinely gets her ass handed to her. Is she a better pilot? Well, no, Lorca and Pike as well as others are better pilots. Smarter? Nope. Solves every problem when no one else can? Nope. Better engineer maybe? Nope, there are several engineers ahead of her on that one.

So, what is it? Is it because she has more screen time? Or that in the first season most of the plots placed her at the center? That's not a Mary Sue, that's just a protagonist. Is it because she's the focus of much of the show, whereas previous Star Treks focused so much attention on the captains?

Let's not forget here, by yesteryear's standards, we're not even through a single season yet. Yup, the show focuses on Burnham. That's true. She's the lead character, whereas previous Treks put the Captain in the lead. Again, still not a Mary Sue.

It would really strengthen people's criticisms if they could avoid using such loaded shorthand that really doesn't apply here.

Remove ads