Epic Monsters: Fenrir (5E)

Epic Monsters is going after the world’s most ferocious and deadly wolf, a creature destined to consume Odin when Ragnarok finally comes. I am referring of course to Fenrir!

ygI94QnmornuPjVt96Mk7u-0gzBMmXgvAb6keYNeUF62ZFvrLggHhA8pENmXUWS1ojW0NNuYl3dyLlgk0eqHI3tILFFighcuh96WXqCuRg1ry6Od0UuZhnlJ_D_vD5xHR_xIN5EI

Fenrir is the son of Loki and father of fellow wolves Sköll and Hati, raised in Asgard and fed only by Tyr for the other gods lacked bravery enough for the task. Eventually he grew too big however and rather than let him run amok across the world tree, the Asgardians trick Fenrir into being bound by increasingly heavier chains, encouraging and applauding his strength as he broke them all. When they realized that they had no metal links able to hold him they beseeched the dwarves of Svartálfaheimr to form a chain of unequaled strength. This chain was light and supple however, making Fenrir suspicious of trickery and bringing the realization that the other gods feared him. When they went to bind him in it he agreed only so long as one of them put their hand into his mouth as a show of trust--once again only Tyr has the mettle for it and after Fenrir failed to break out of the dwarven creation dude loses that hand. Bound and unable to resist, the gods tie the colossal wolf to a giant boulder in the middle of nowhere and jam a sword into his mouth to keep it open, forcing Fenrir to drool so much that he forms a lake while waiting for Ragnarok to break free once more and consume Odin. There’s much more to the world wolf and if you’re interested, go check out his Wikipedia page!

Design Notes: There’s already a CR 30 chompy-chomp monster (the Tarrasque) and it would be redundant to make another so Fenrir here is in the range of high-level parties instead (at CR 20) with the most vicious bite around.

Fenrir
Gargantuan beast, neutral
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 290 (20d20+80)
Speed 70 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
28 (+9)​
17 (+3)​
19 (+4)​
11 (+0)​
18 (+4)​
14 (+2)​

Skills Perception +10, Stealth +9, Survival +10
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magical weapons
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses passive Perception 20
Languages Norse
Challenge 20 (25,000 XP)

Keen Hearing and Smell. Fenrir has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Fenrir fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Fenrir has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Fenrir's weapon attacks are magical.

Pack Tactics. Fenrir has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of his allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Siege Monster. Fenrir deals double damage to objects and structures.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Fenrir can use his Frightful Presence. He then attacks twice. He can use his Swallow instead of his bite.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 48 (6d12+9) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 23). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of Fenrir's choice within 120 feet of him and aware of him must succeed on a DC 19 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if Fenrir is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Fenrir’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Swallow. Fenrir makes one bite attack against a Huge or smaller creature he is grappling. If the attack hits, the target takes the bite's damage, the target is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside Fenrir, and it takes 42 (12d6) bludgeoning damage at the start of each of Fenrir's turns.
If Fenrir takes 50 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, he must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of Fenrir. If Fenrir dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by him and can escape from the corpse by using 30 feet of movement, exiting prone.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Fenrir can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Fenrir regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.

• Destructive Roll (Costs 2 Actions). Fenrir flings himself at the ground and rolls, crushing everything in an area 30 feet by 30 feet. Each creature in the area must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 28 (8d6) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • Move. Fenrir moves up to half his speed.
  • Chomp (Costs 2 Actions). Fenrir makes one bite attack or uses his Swallow.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Nice start. I like destructive roll.

I would make his attacks magical for purposes of overcoming resistances and immunities (seems like Odin would either naturally have that or cast a spell that gives him that at the start of the battle). Relatedly, maybe a "celestial foe" trait (assuming Odin is a celestial) that adds a crazy lot of extra damage to celestials for his attacks, which wouldn't change his CR since PC's are not usually celestials.

I would also think that Odin could do more than 50 points of damage a round, so I would up the amount necessary to get out of his stomach.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Seems a little wimpy for a creature that even the gods fear.

He'd definitely eat Thor I reckon.

Nice start. I like destructive roll.

I would make his attacks magical for purposes of overcoming resistances and immunities (seems like Odin would either naturally have that or cast a spell that gives him that at the start of the battle). Relatedly, maybe a "celestial foe" trait (assuming Odin is a celestial) that adds a crazy lot of extra damage to celestials for his attacks, which wouldn't change his CR since PC's are not usually celestials.

I would also think that Odin could do more than 50 points of damage a round, so I would up the amount necessary to get out of his stomach.

Point taken on magical damage with his attacks. Added! As for tummy escape damage threshold: it still needs to be attainable for PCs to be usable right? The tarrasque (who could easily be reskinned as a gigantic wolf) is at 60 damage to get out and intended for adventurers at the very top-tier of play, so with that in mind I feel like 50 is pretty high.

dave2008

Legend
Clearly not the Odin eating Fenrir of myth (depending on how you stat Odin of course), but a good outline for what that might look like. Thank you for sharing.

One suggestion: give him a recharge or bonus action attack that can add some situational or nova damage. Maybe:

Frenzied Attack (recharge 5-6). Fenrir makes a bite attack against each target with its reach.

or

Savage Attacker. Fenrir can use a bonus action to make a bite or swallow attack against a target it has grappled or is prone within it reach. (or possible just move swallow to a bonus action).

One question regarding its Bite attack: why not give it the magical weapons trait instead of listing it as magical piercing damage in the weapon attack? That is how it was handled for the demon lords (at least Demogorgon was, who only had natural weapons)

That is a good point about what power level the gods have. Mythological Odin doesn't seem to have a lot of damage spells, so his high-level caster status doesn't add a lot to his CR; he is more sneaky and debuffing (comic book Odin, on the other hand, is a serious energy manipulator who has given Galactus a good fight and once thrashed Thanos). Offensive CR-wise, his main thing is his spear. I don't think any official spears in 5e are similar in ability to that one.

Mike Myler

Clearly not the Odin eating Fenrir of myth (depending on how you stat Odin of course), but a good outline for what that might look like. Thank you for sharing.

One suggestion: give him a recharge or bonus action attack that can add some situational or nova damage. Maybe:

Frenzied Attack (recharge 5-6). Fenrir makes a bite attack against each target with its reach.

or

Savage Attacker. Fenrir can use a bonus action to make a bite or swallow attack against a target it has grappled or is prone within it reach. (or possible just move swallow to a bonus action).

One question regarding its Bite attack: why not give it the magical weapons trait instead of listing it as magical piercing damage in the weapon attack? That is how it was handled for the demon lords (at least Demogorgon was, who only had natural weapons)

I'm okay with him putting out 140 odd damage a turn (two bites and a legendary bite). That's quite a bit, god forbid somebody take a critical (!). I considered a blanket magical damage thing for him but opted out because I wanted to keep the Destructive Roll strictly mundane lest it be too good at deterring spellcasters (the wimpier of which could eat up maybe three-four rounds of getting crushed before going down--as it is now they could use stoneskin or similar to lessen the impact *badumpching*).

That is a good point about what power level the gods have. Mythological Odin doesn't seem to have a lot of damage spells, so his high-level caster status doesn't add a lot to his CR; he is more sneaky and debuffing (comic book Odin, on the other hand, is a serious energy manipulator who has given Galactus a good fight and once thrashed Thanos). Offensive CR-wise, his main thing is his spear. I don't think any official spears in 5e are similar in ability to that one.

We'll see! Odin will probably be beefy (at least as big as Thor I would think, maybe up there with Merlin), but I've got about two months worth of builds to post before preparing a new one. Guess I ought to bold him with how much yinz love your Norse statistics. :D

Mike Myler

Also slightly off-topic but my Odin is for sure American Gods-Odin. It's been a while since I've read the book but the television series is awesome. ♥

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I am a fan of the series but a demigod that will eat the sun and moon (or whose children will) in the end times, a creature the gods fear, this is not.

Then again, Fenrir as stated up in the recently kick-started Journey to Ragnarok is only level 26, but that campaign added a number of mechanisms and story approaches to play in an epic-level campaign involving a battle among gods at the end times.

I really think you need some different mechanics and story approaches to make any encounter, much less combat with god-like creatures satisfying.

dave2008

Legend
I'm okay with him putting out 140 odd damage a turn (two bites and a legendary bite). That's quite a bit, god forbid somebody take a critical (!). I considered a blanket magical damage thing for him but opted out because I wanted to keep the Destructive Roll strictly mundane lest it be too good at deterring spellcasters (the wimpier of which could eat up maybe three-four rounds of getting crushed before going down--as it is now they could use stoneskin or similar to lessen the impact *badumpching*).

It is not a damage thing. If you are worried about the damage, just lessen the amount for each bite. It is more about giving him different and interesting things to do. Of course my examples were not the best, so I didn't help much there ;)

Regarding magic weapons. The typical language would state: "Magic Weapons. Fenrir's weapon attacks are magical." Notice it specifically states "weapon" attacks. The Destructive Roll is not a "weapon" attack. So, by RAW you could use the standard format and the Destructive Roll would not inflict magical damage.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases