D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I'd like to see Mike Mearls and WotC do:

In regard to Rules Complexity:

For 6E, turn D&D into a game which basically no more complex than The Black Hack. Really. Start with only one Power (spell, proficiency, class feature, feat or racial trait). Turn everything into simple "Skills & Powers". It doesn't even have to be "balanced." Gain one Power per level. Super simple. But not white bread generic like the existing Basic Rules PDF, which reads like software code. And make all classes, races, spells, monsters, and items available, but super simplified. Really juice up the Power descriptions and titles, to match what characters can do in D&D novels.

In regard to Lore Density:

But at the same time, release a complete series of gigantic hardcover compendium books from star, which include literally all spells (Spell Compendium), all magic items (Encyclopedia Magica), and all monsters (Monster Manual, ala Echohawk)...FROM ALL EDITIONS. From the start, like in the first year of 6E release. Along with an Atlas of the D&D Multiverse with world maps for all previously-published D&D worlds (ala Karen Wynn Fonstads' atlases of Krynn and Toril). And a Timeline of the D&D Multiverse (ala Brian James FR work), synchonizing all the worlds' timelines, and getting them all up to speed. And a Who's Who's of the D&D Multiverse (aka Shady Dragon Inn) with all iconic characters and NPCs from all editions, from all D&D modules, novels, comic books, boardgames, and videogames...Bargle, Drizzt, Aleena, Regdar, Tasselhoff, everybody!

And drastically lower the prices of the Classic PDFs, and push them as bundles which cover *everything* ever written about each D&D World. So newcomers can brush up and become loremasters without breaking the bank.

And at the same time, make a sandbox-style Worldbuilders Guide the default campaign...a sort of "un-setting."

The streamlined game + accessibility of the lore, pleases beginners and grognards, sandboxers and loremasters, at the same time!

But if really want a super-complex iteration too, then also have an Advanced D&D 6E, and support both BD&D 6E and AD&D 6E with dual-stats in all products. Ideally, they. But keep them separate.

Furthermore, to grow the player network even more, I'd suggest the sacriligeous but humble route of WotC simply adopting Pathfinder Second Edition whole cloth for AD&D 6E. Just relable it D&D 6E and add in the "missing" iconic D&D races/classes (including 1.5E Unearthed Arcana): Tiefling, Dragonborn, Svirfniblin, Drow, Warlock, Warlord, Cavalier, Acrobat.

Last edited:

Psyzhran2357

First Post
Furthermore, to grow the player network even more, I'd suggest the sacriligeous but humble route of WotC simply adopting Pathfinder Second Edition whole cloth for AD&D 6E. Just relable it D&D 6E and add in the "missing" iconic D&D races/classes (including 1.5E Unearthed Arcana): Tiefling, Dragonborn, Svirfniblin, Drow, Warlock, Warlord, Cavalier, Acrobat.

Why does everybody always suggest this, I don't get it at all. You think Paizo wouldn't sue? You think WotC would blindly trust and copy Paizo?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Here's what I'd like to see Mike Mearls and WotC do:

In regard to Rules Complexity:

For 6E, turn D&D into a game which basically no more complex than The Black Hack. Really. Start with only one Power (spell, proficiency, class feature, feat or racial trait). Turn everything into simple "Skills & Powers". It doesn't even have to be "balanced." Gain one Power per level. Super simple. But not white bread generic like the existing Basic Rules PDF, which reads like software code. And make all classes, races, spells, monsters, and items available, but super simplified. Really juice up the Power descriptions and titles, to match what characters can do in D&D novels.

In regard to Lore Density:

But at the same time, release a complete series of gigantic hardcover compendium books from star, which include literally all spells (Spell Compendium), all magic items (Encyclopedia Magica), and all monsters (Monster Manual, ala Echohawk)...FROM ALL EDITIONS. From the start, like in the first year of 6E release. Along with an Atlas of the D&D Multiverse with world maps for all previously-published D&D worlds (ala Karen Wynn Fonstads' atlases of Krynn and Toril). And a Timeline of the D&D Multiverse (ala Brian James FR work), synchonizing all the worlds' timelines, and getting them all up to speed. And a Who's Who's of the D&D Multiverse (aka Shady Dragon Inn) with all iconic characters and NPCs from all editions, from all D&D modules, novels, comic books, boardgames, and videogames...Bargle, Drizzt, Aleena, Regdar, Tasselhoff, everybody!

And drastically lower the prices of the Classic PDFs, and push them as bundles which cover *everything* ever written about each D&D World. So newcomers can brush up and become loremasters without breaking the bank.

And at the same time, make a sandbox-style Worldbuilders Guide the default campaign...a sort of "un-setting."

The streamlined game + accessibility of the lore, pleases beginners and grognards, sandboxers and loremasters, at the same time!

But if really want a super-complex iteration too, then also have an Advanced D&D 6E, and support both BD&D 6E and AD&D 6E with dual-stats in all products. Ideally, they. But keep them separate.

Did you post this in the thread about the perfect Enworld D&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, I do not die on the hill of grammatical purity, even in "certain instances." This all began with me, thinking to participate in an ongoing conversation, saying (I'm paraphrasing) "You can be called whatever you want to, but 'they' is plural."

Then politics happened.

Remove all "politics" from the equation, and "they" is still a historically singular pronoun. Pretending it isn't is frankly weird, and date I say it, "political."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Remove all "politics" from the equation, and "they" is still a historically singular pronoun. Pretending it isn't is frankly weird, and date I say it, "political."

Yeah, considering there's evidence of it being in use for centuries including by some of the titans of English Literature, and despite it being accepted in many if not most dictionaries and style manuals, to ignore all that and insist that the pronoun some people prefer for themselves is an infraction against grammar...that is a highly political statement made against those very people.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, considering there's evidence of it being in use for centuries including by some of the titans of English Literature, and despite it being accepted in many if not most dictionaries and style manuals, to ignore all that and insist that the pronoun some people prefer for themselves is an infraction against grammar...that is a highly political statement made against those very people.

I use singular "they" when filling out reports at work all the time, because I don't often know the gender of a customer based on a name from a language with which I am unfamiliar. I don't do that to score political points of some sort, it's so there isn't weirdness if the customer reads the report and finds I guessed wrong. It's extremely natural.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Why does everybody always suggest this, I don't get it at all. You think Paizo wouldn't sue? You think WotC would blindly trust and copy Paizo?

Also, do folks think that the actual mechanics of 5e have literally nothing to do with its popularity and incredible success?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

[Foghorn Leghorn]Now listen, son. He's making... I say, he's making a humorous statement. That's a joke, son.[/Foghorn Leghorn]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases