Explore New Fey Options For 5E & Pathfinder With THE FAERIE RING

The Faerie Ring is an upcoming book for D&D 5E and Pathfinder which focuses on fey monsters, races, and more. It's designed to bring in the fey mythos, with mysterious and powerful fey lords, locations, and more. The folks behind it have sent along some enticing previews for me to share with you. "The Faerie Ring expands the fey options for both players and GMs using either Pathfinder Roleplaying Game or 5E and creates new opportunities for meddling where you probably shouldn't. It introduces new fey monsters, playable fey races and other character options, fey big bads or patrons (or both!), fey cities and planes and other locales, and more."

The Faerie Ring is an upcoming book for D&D 5E and Pathfinder which focuses on fey monsters, races, and more. It's designed to bring in the fey mythos, with mysterious and powerful fey lords, locations, and more. The folks behind it have sent along some enticing previews for me to share with you. "The Faerie Ring expands the fey options for both players and GMs using either Pathfinder Roleplaying Game or 5E and creates new opportunities for meddling where you probably shouldn't. It introduces new fey monsters, playable fey races and other character options, fey big bads or patrons (or both!), fey cities and planes and other locales, and more."

zsp_cover1.jpg

The new playable races look interesting. Over a dozen of them: fir bolg, bitterclaws, darklings, goodfellows, wyrd, putti, twilight children, black hats, far darrig, kitsune, matabiri, sidhe. The fir blog are Celtic warrior fey, led by Slaine, their king, who were nearly destroyed by Morrigan and her sidhe, now living as scavengers and nomads. There's also the putti, plant-creatures which resemble floating purple-skinned babies. Or the twilight children, which are changelings who live in the shadows. There's a whole load of races.

It has a heck of a "cast" too -- amongst the plethora of folks working on this thing, you can count Steven Helt (and the Horsemen), Monica Marlowe, Ben McFarland, Sarah Madsen, Mike Welham, Todd Stewart, Liz Courts, Savanah Broadway, BJ Hensley, David Schwartz, John Bennett, Clinton Boomer, Wolfgang Baur, and Scott Gable. That's quite a lot of design expertise there.

It's a Kickstarter, of course -- just head on over to back the project. It needs a bit of loving -- with 12 days to go, it's not halfway to its goal yet, and it really looks like a book that deserves to get made. The same folks created the successful It Came From The Stars Kickstarter a while back. You get both PDFs (Player and GM) for $30, or just one for $15. The two books in print are $35 and $55 respectively,or $75 for both, all in full colour.

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.28.18.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.28.50.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 19.29.20.png

SaveSave

Birmy

Adventurer
Meta question: How do you decide which Kickstarters to feature, and which to leave in the Press Releases sidebar?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Meta question: How do you decide which Kickstarters to feature, and which to leave in the Press Releases sidebar?

Often ones which give me an exclusive preview to show off. I love showing off previews of stuff. I hate copying and pasting press releases and ad copy. :)

Matthan

Explorer
Often ones which give me an exclusive preview to show off. I love showing off previews of stuff. I hate copying and pasting press releases and ad copy. :)

I just wanted to chime in and say that I appreciate that perspective. It shows that the team has taken an active interest in the site. ENworld is my only RPG site and I like when publishers respect the site and its community enough to actively court us (as opposed to copying the same press release to a dozen sites).

As for this KS, I am sorely tempted, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger just yet. I keep checking in on it though.

Looks okay. Good writing talent but don't know the publisher.
Hesitant to pay that much for a PDF without knowing the size. $15 is a lot for something that might be only 32-pages for all we know...

Simon Collins

Explorer
I think this is a great concept and I hope it sees the light of day as Zombie Sky Press have delivered excellent quality previously. However, the pdf pledge point is too high for a GM like myself (I can pick up the 5e Player's Handbook in print for around the same price). Also the stretch goals being an extra $20 (without looking like being funded at this point) is a Kickstarter design mistake in my opinion. In addition, my previous three/four years' experience of Kickstarting has made me very wary of stretch goal delivery; I'm still waiting on some stretch goals from Kickstarters that funded three years ago and don't ever expect to see them. Best of luck ZSP but I won't be helping out on this occasion.

Silver Griffin

Explorer
Looks okay. Good writing talent but don't know the publisher.
Hesitant to pay that much for a PDF without knowing the size. $15 is a lot for something that might be only 32-pages for all we know...

In the comments section they mention that the campaign guide will be 300 pages & the players book will be 128. At least for the Pathfinder version. There is also mention of a magic book but I can't find any details on it. I wish they had done a better job of letting people know what was going to be in each book.

From what I have seen in their previous works they do really good work. I wish I had the money to put into this. I hope it funds so I might be able to buy it in the future.

Matthan

Explorer
I think this is a great concept and I hope it sees the light of day as Zombie Sky Press have delivered excellent quality previously. However, the pdf pledge point is too high for a GM like myself (I can pick up the 5e Player's Handbook in print for around the same price). Also the stretch goals being an extra $20 (without looking like being funded at this point) is a Kickstarter design mistake in my opinion. In addition, my previous three/four years' experience of Kickstarting has made me very wary of stretch goal delivery; I'm still waiting on some stretch goals from Kickstarters that funded three years ago and don't ever expect to see them. Best of luck ZSP but I won't be helping out on this occasion.

Not a backer yet, but something to keep in mind with 3PP is that they will never sell the numbers that WotC will. So if they produce a product that is comparable (full color, lots of commissioned art), it will have to be more expensive. That's not to say that the prices are good, but just to share that the best comparison is to other 3PP. I don't recall the numbers off hand, but I believe the costs here are comparable to Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts KS.

Zansy

Explorer
Very much fascinated by the fey options, and seriously considering going for at least the PDFs. I really, really hope it funds, fey PC options are one of those things I believe aren't explored enough in D&D and Pathfinder. I can already see myself running a faerie themed campaign. Crossing fingers!

Remove ads

Remove ads