D&D 5E "The" Lich?

If Strahd is “the” D&D D&D vampire, then who is “the” D&D lich? Namely, a character with similar levels of name recognition and clout as Strahd. Possibilities include Acererak, Azalin, Szass Tam and Vlaakith. Of them, which for you really sells the concept and possibilities of lich they way Strahd does for vampires?

If Strahd is “the” D&D D&D vampire, then who is “the” D&D lich? Namely, a character with similar levels of name recognition and clout as Strahd. Possibilities include Acererak, Azalin, Szass Tam and Vlaakith. Of them, which for you really sells the concept and possibilities of lich they way Strahd does for vampires?

Szass Tam is confirmed to be the Lich in the Monster Manual. I would say he fits the bill of iconic lich.

The others sort of have something else going on. Acererak is a Demilich, Vlaakith is a Githyanki while Vecna is a god for example.

feartheminotaur

First Post
I thought this was a Monty Python thread before I realized it said "Lich" not "Larch"

But, Tam would be the one to me. [MENTION=6706188]MonsterEnvy[/MENTION] lays out a good delineation point: The others are more than just a lich.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Szass Tam has always stuck out to me as the most "interactive" lich but Vecna was also a good choice (before he was made a God).

Remove ads