[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
Question: How heavy is the glyph of warding ? May Etienne use mage hand for apportation to his hand ?

Um...It doesn't have any physical substance. It's just magic inscribed on the surface of the chest. Think of it like a layer of light or energy. Could you use mage hand to move those? No. Same goes for glyph of warding.

peterka99

First Post
Hi! I'll keep the thread live waiting for Queenie :)

What if I grab the chain and pull chain and friend(s) out of the tentacles ? Have I to enter the danger zone to do so ? What is your house rule for it ? Strenght save, wrestling contest ?

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi! I'll keep the thread live waiting for Queenie :)

What if I grab the chain and pull chain and friend(s) out of the tentacles ? Have I to enter the danger zone to do so ? What is your house rule for it ? Strenght save, wrestling contest ?

Sorry I missed your question.

Only Old Zef is in the danger zone. Nia is enchained but not in the danger zone.

So I'd handle it as a grapple check – Strength (Athletics) – made against the chain. Since the chain is also wrapped around Nia who is next to Etienne, there's no need to enter the danger zone to attempt to grapple it.

Once the grapple is established, we can adapt the normal rules for moving a grappled creature:

[SECTION]When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.[/SECTION]

EDIT: The chain is Tiny, but Old Zef is Medium, so...

So that means that normally you could only move a grappled creature up to 15 feet (i.e. half of speed 30).

So I'd divide that amount of movement among any creature you want to move, with the caveat that the chain is still attached to Nia and Old Zef, so you can't move a PC without moving the chain as well. For example, you could pull both Old Zef (5 feet) and the chain (5 feet) toward you, for a total of 10 feet of "moving a grappled creature." Because the chain is wrapped around Old Zef, however, you could utilize the full 15 feet of "moving a grappled creature."

Sounds fair?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] I'm sorry for telling Blaise what to do!!

I need someone to actually stand in melee with Katerina so she can get her sneak attack damage, which is almost as much as her actual damage damage right now. Well, not melee but threaten the target. And basically Blaise is the only candidate somehow.

I know it's not optimal to send everyone into that room. But Zef and Nia are taking damage every round (or will) and we need to get in there and finish it some way. I don't know what else to do either but cutting shrubbery doesn't seem like the ideal spot for Kat.

I have this love hate thing with being the Captain. Katerina is made to be a Captain. Born for it. But she's a loving, caring Captain, right? lol I just don't want to always be telling everyone what to do all the time against their better judgement.

Aside from the fact when we DO have a plan no one follows it :lolcrylol:

I am, however, enjoying this "Yes Captain" thing and see many varied uses for it in the future... ;)

Matthan

Explorer
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] You should absolutely be trying to get sneak attack every round, but remember that you just need someone within 5' of the enemy who is not incapacitated and you can use any finesse weapon (which means you can sneak attack at range). When Jago joins us, you'll have a lot of soldiers that can engage in melee while you hang back. For this scenario, I'm not sure if the chain is considered to be occupying the same spaces as Nia and Zef since it's grappling them. If it is, you might have other options besides following me into the tentacles. If nothing else, Etienne could attack and then move back to allow you to move up and shoot it.

At this point in the game though, it makes sense for our fights to be chaotic and a little nonsensical. All of us are learning each other and learning to trust each other. Our captain is going to need some time to figure out to best organize us.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I -definitely- need help figuring things out.

1) I'm not used to playing a fighter type. At ALL. I'm usually magic all the way. So this is completely new.

2) I've not really played 5e. I mean, yes, I've been in PBP games in 5e now for some time but I've not played in many battles. I'm just learning the sneak attack thing now.

3) I have never played in a real life tabletop 5e fight scenario. I honestly don't know (understand) the rules and I'm NOT good at reading them. AKA, you could turn blue in the face explaining them to me here but it's not my favored way of learning things. It's a little embarrassing. :blush:

4) I don't want to speak too much for him but I believe [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] may be taking an ENW vacation. So, he may not be joining the game. That will be for him to explain or not explain when the time comes. That IS why he built the character the way he did, we were missing that role as a team. But yes. He was the one trying to explain to me how the whole sneak attack thing worked, he has an excellent grasp on the 5e rules.

So you see I'm struggling a little in the role. Katerina knows what to do as a Captain. Ish. Queenie has no idea how to run a rogue or a dual wielder or a cool swashbuckly pirate or or or...

Shayuri

First Post
S'okay there. No one's mad. :)

In 5e, sneak attack rules are simpler than previously, which is very good. You need one of two things as a rogue from the PHB; Advantage on the attack from any source, or an ally within 5' of the target. This means that any time you have advantage, be it from being hidden, or from a spell effect, or going before the target's had an action...you also do sneak attack.

The other big thing a rogue will want to keep track of is their Cunning Action. This is about 75% of what makes rogues super fun to play. There's several actions that rogues can do as bonus actions. This means you can 'double move' using a move and a bonus...letting you move 2x your speed and still attack. Or you can Disengage as a bonus action, letting you move in a bit, attack, then Disengage and finish your move away from the guy you attacked, all in one turn. And of course, you can make a Hide action as a bonus, letting you ambush, attack, and fade away again...if there's cover or concealment to hide behind.

This all combines to make rogues very hard to pin down. This -particular- fight is probably not going to showcase the rogue's strengths quite so much, because of the circumstances of it...but the good news is that a grappling creature, like the chain, IS adjacent to the people it's grappling. So you can sneak attack it with a ranged or melee attack.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
So.... that Advantage thing is one of my weaknesses. No matter how many times it gets explained to me I am still having trouble with it. So feel free to point out stuff like that or strategies or whatnot here until I DO get a better handle on it. I'm not going to learn until I understand it and that's not going to happen until I use it.

All I know is like, "Katerina flips off the upper deck, pulling her two cutlasses as she does, and lands super hero style on the bottom deck (thank you Deadpool)."

Trying to make those things happen on the other hand is... why I hate the rules.

Cunning Action - that's all the things you just mentioned Shay?

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Matthan

Explorer
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] The rules aren't that hard. You just need more experience with them. Advantage only happens when either the DM grants it or if something like a spell or specific situation warrants it (like if you were hidden with stealth and attack before being seen). Most of the time, the DM will tell you if you have advantage or a player will say if they have used an ability that grants you advantage. So, don't stress about it.

I was going to walk you through Cunning Action as well, but I think I may have found a problem with your character. Kat is a Rogue 3/Fighter 1. At Rogue 3, you should have chosen an Archetype that would give you some additional abilities (and some tweak your Cunning Action which is why I checked), but I can't find anywhere on your sheet where you did. The three options in the PHB are Thief, Assassin, and Arcane Trickster. The SCAG has two additional archetypes, the Mastermind and Swashbuckler. [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] also has a Swashbuckler archetype he designed for this game. Personally, if I were you, I would use QL's Swashbuckler archetype. It would give your AC a bump and you would get to pick two nifty Seafarer Tricks (and you should definitely pick up Issue Commands at 7th level).

Remove ads