WotC Wants You To Help Shape D&D

Wow - that took quite a bit of time!
Wow - that took quite a bit of time!

Reynard

Legend
For the "first played/DM'd D&D" options I don't think they will get what they want from my responses. I started before the internet, so none of those options were selected. But if they asked "how would I get someone into D&D now" it would be very different. For example: watching Critical Role with my daughters.

I think there are A LOT of new D&D players out there and WotC is trying to nail down where they are really coming from.

It was a lot longer than I thought it would be, that’s for sure. I think part of it is that some of the questions had me really thinking through my answers, evaluating what D&D is about for me.

One conclusion I came to is that I couldn’t pick a single, favorite setting. I mean, I’ve played a ton in Forgotten Realms. But then I live planar adventures, the Gothic horror of Ravenloft, the weirdness of Spelljammer, the barebones OS feel of Greyhawk, countless homebrews, and the epic conflict of Dragonlance.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
For me, the trickiest questions were the "which editions did you play" style ones. I started in 1994, started DMing later that year, and it wasn't until 1997 or 98 that I realized there was a definite difference between D&D, AD&D, and AD&D 2nd Edition.

So did I play Basic? Not by name. Did I play 1e? Not by name. But I used products from both those lines liberally in the 2e games I was running and playing in.

Last edited by a moderator:

When it got to the "Which of these editions have you DMed/Played*" I was able to check them all.....wooooo yay old age!

*I assume it asked "played" if you had never DMed. But it asked me which I'd DMed iirc. Bad memory also a sign of old age sigh.

It's interesting that one of the questions is "Have you ever played Dungeons & Dragons tabletop RPG?" -- I assume this survey is meant for a much wider audience, then.

Yikes, it's a long one!

I really had to reread that question a few times to make sure it actually was asking what it seemed to be asking. Especially since it was the 4th question after questions about settings, races, and classes. I mean, why else would I be taking this survey? LOL

Good stuff overall, though. Who doesn't love some freebies thrown in with purchase they were going to make anyway? Thanks for posting it [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION]!

dave2008

Legend
So many similar questions. At times I felt like I was being tested to see if I really meant what I said earlier!
I had a similar feeling. There is a reason for making surveys like that, but I can't remember the precise explanation.

dave2008

Legend
It's a different environment. Back then there were tons of news and rumours about the upcoming game to collate. In the run-up to 4E, 5E, Pathfinder 2, I did the same, and I'm sure I will for 6E if/when it ever happens. But in the middle of an edition's cycle, especially one with far fewer releases, there's just less news to talk about. At least in terms of official 5E product releases. Even so, I've scooped plenty of them ahead of time over the last few years. As for fastest - well, I updated it daily then, much like I do now, except these days we have additional columnists adding info about a wider range of games too.

There wasn't as much (or any) social media back then either. I'm still off social media so Enworld generally gets me the news I need, when I need it (or usually before I need it).

machineelf

Explorer
I don't use ENWorld for news, way too slow and behind the curve. I use Twitter and Reddit for news, ENWorld is for discussion.

I haven't found that to be true in my experience. Especially when you factor in forum posts by community members, which is basically what twitter and Reddit is. Experience varies I guess. Sure, if you follow official Twitter accounts your going to get official news as fast as anyone can from those sources, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to make with a site that collates information from numerous sources after things have been announced.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Phew, that was a gruelling survey. I think I had to look up more financial records to answer that honestly than I did for my last tax return!

dave2008

Legend
For me, the trickiest questions were the "which editions did you play" style ones. I started in 1994 started DMing later that uear, and it wasn't until 1997 or 98 that I realized there was a definite difference between D&D, AD&D, and AD&D 2nd Edition.

So did I play Basic? Not by name. Did I play 1e? Not by name. But I used products from both those lines liberally in the 2e games I was running and playing in.

I had a similar issue as we started with BECMI & 1e AD&D. We didn't realize there was difference until I started DMing a year or 2 after we started. Since you could check more than one I checked both (and 4e and 5e)

Remove ads

Remove ads