D&D 5E Greetings! Need Some Help (newer to DMING)

Kyle Johnson

First Post
So I need some help coming up with a good way of making maps. My handwriting/map drawing skills are lacking to the highest degree. I'm comfortable with attempting physical maps (but i feel like unless i used a ruler to draw out ever line it will look pretty goofy for the players). I am also comfortable with the digital option but need some ideas on easy systems to create maps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I am super old school and analog, so I can't suggest much in the way of helping you make digital maps.

What I've done in the past is find outline maps of continents or countries (like doing a Google image search for "outline map Hungary"). This will get you an outline, often with rivers, and you can fill in the rest as you please. If you're worried your players will call you on it (if they, for example, would recognize Eastern European countries by outline and river pattern alone), turn the map on its side.

If you want, you can find topographical maps with no labels pretty easily, too, which can save you the trouble of filling in forests, plains, deserts, etc. And don't be afraid to change the scale of the map to suit your needs.

That's all I have. I'm sure some more digitally inclined gurus will chime in soon.

Tormyr

Adventurer
What kind of maps are you looking for (i.e. regional, town, encounter, etc.)? Different maps have different tricks to put them together quickly such as what @Ath-kethin mentioned. Do you have access to a large format printer? What physical size of maps are you looking to make?

Quickleaf

Legend
So I need some help coming up with a good way of making maps. My handwriting/map drawing skills are lacking to the highest degree. I'm comfortable with attempting physical maps (but i feel like unless i used a ruler to draw out ever line it will look pretty goofy for the players). I am also comfortable with the digital option but need some ideas on easy systems to create maps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to ENWorld! There was just a thread on this topic that I wrote an extensive reply to...

Here's my short answer:

For digital, try Dungeon Painter: http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/

For hand-drawn, try ordering some gaming paper: http://gamingpaper.com/

Kyle Johnson

First Post
Wow haha thanks for all the helpful answers guys :D I think you've already given me some good tips to work wirth

My Biggest issue is with stage maps (dungeons, towns, rooms)

I currently don't have a printer but am working on getting one. I also have found some of map options at the game stores in which you can use dry erase markers, which appeals to me - my awful penmanship.

I recommend this book:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Fantasy-Art-Maps/dp/1440340242/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

It is worth every penny.

Other than that, it just takes practice. Look at maps online and try out some techniques. I tend to use Photoshop and have cobbled together enough skill that I don't suck:
IMG_0767.png
But that has taken many years...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases