D&D 5E Oriental Adventures 5e - What race options are there?

Alexemplar

First Post
Hiya!

Huh...different perceptions growing up between us methinks... :)

I can see what you are saying, definitely. I guess this is simply a matter of what you saw/see "oriental flavour" as being vs what I do. To me (and my group), we generally see our OA campaigns (some of the most memorable RPG campaigns I've ever run, btw; more plots, sub-plots, sub-sub-plots, and sub-sub-sub-plots than you can shake a dead oni at!)....having a very strong humanocentric bent to them. I think it comes from the whole Samurai, Ninja, Yakuza underpinning of the setting as a whole. Each of those 'classes' are intertwined deeply within the societal structure of the campaign and rules; I/we have a very hard time seeing anything other than humans really 'being' any of those classes and caring about how the world sees them. I mean, if you are a spirit folk samurai (not sure if that was even a choice, but for sake of argument...), why would this spirit folk even be a samurai of some ruler in some land that has virtually nothing to do with his "race"? Sure, the spirit folk probably has his/her river/forest/mountain/whatever in the daimyo's province...but that would be it. Why would the daimyo accept such a creature into his confidence? Why should the daimyo even trust such a creature, who obviously would have significantly different ideas on what is "right", "just", or even "legal"...compared to humans?

Anyway...that's how I think of OA and the whole human/not-human schism of things. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

You have to D&D-ify it.

Just as in D&D, they do away with most of the intricacies of European fuedal/social systems and transform what were immortal and capricious fairfolk into much more relatable dwarves/elves/goblin races we're now familiar with, so too would a Japanese setting have to play a bit looser with the limitations and use spirits as inspiration for more playable races as opposed to making them actual immortal otherworldly overtly supernatural entities.

I'd cite Inuyasha as a pretty good example although that's set in the pre-Samurai era. Still, you've got demons tagging along with monks and stealthy ninja-like warriors and other badass humans. Ninja Scroll, another classic, has lots of monstrous characters with overtly supernatural powers along with a ronin main character and ninja love interest. Kubo and the Two strings has the titular character traveling with what are essentially 2 supernatural entities. And we can't forget the most famous example: Journey to the West.

And given how most samurai works are set in the warring states/Meji restoration, where social norms were changing radically (hence all the wandering samurai), the idea that a daimyo might trust a spirit enough to ally with it it so long as it continues to slaughter/protect villages to the benefit of the daimyo is perfectly reasonable. If my understanding of Japanese history/media is correct, a daimyo violating what is "right" and even "legal" is pretty much par for the course. Their loyalties tended to shift with the winds.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Mists of Akuma has the following races:

Forgotten Peoples of Soburin: Spirit Folk and Korobokuru (standard elf / dwarf with minor alterations)
Three types of Humans: soburi (imbued with magic or martial talent), ceramian (naturally inclined to technology), and ropaeo (born socialites).
Bakemono: strange oni-kin born from the congealed essence of insects that died in the Mists of Akuma (konchū, kumogatarui, or mure subraces).
Enjin: physically powerful ape-people from the once vast jungles of southern Soburin.
Hengeyokai: magical humanoids able to shift from their hybrid bodies into both animal or human forms. Subraces include Inu (Dog), Kitsune (Fox), Kumo (Spider), Kurēn (Crane), Monkī (Monkey), Neko (Cat), and Ratto (Rat). We added in also Itachi (Weasel), Koi (Carp), Mujina (Badger), and Usagi (Hare) as rare subraces.
Kappa: long-lived shelled reptilian humanoids.
Mutants: surviving a journey from across the Great Divide and warped by the energies unleashed by the War of Kaiyo.
Necroji: abominable undead soldiers crafted by Ropaeo necroscientists.
Oni-Touched: offspring of humans that have been tainted by the Mists of Akuma.
Psonorous: also from across the Great Divide, these humanoids were made physically weaker by the apocalyptic fallout there but received mental powers in return.
Pyon: frog people hailing from the swamps and bogs of Soburin.
Shikome: the brutish result of animals and beasts that fall to the corruption of the Mists of Akuma (blessed and cursed subraces).
Steametic: artificial humanoids made of metal and crafted by the engineers of fallen Ceramia.
Tanuki: squirrel-like humanoids from Soburin's forests.
Tengu: birdmen that live in the cold mountain reaches.
Umibo: a mysterious race of extremely long lived elemental humanoids infused with the essence of water.

Edit: Realized I have most of these illustrated and a picture of that I can link to. :)

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Journey to the West is a prime example of having a group of mixed races. A human monk, the monkey king, a pig man, and another monstrous character (who I had forgotten about until I looked up the story). Three of these were of celestial origin, but I think players of D&D might want to emulate this with varied races to choose from in an oriental adventure type game. Besides, if we have dragonborn, tieflings, elves, and dwarves for western campaigns then I think it only fair to have hengeyokai, kitsune, vanara, and kappa for an oriental adventures type game.

I've seen a kitsune homebrew race that was pretty cool from memory and I think QB has already done up homebrew versions of spiritfolk. I think for me, I would at least like hengeyokai since animal shapeshifters in the form of kitsune and tanuki are quite well known. Vanara would also be welcome so that people can create their own version of the monkey king (perhaps vanara should be somewhat synergistic with monks?).

Each of those 'classes' are intertwined deeply within the societal structure of the campaign and rules; I/we have a very hard time seeing anything other than humans really 'being' any of those classes and caring about how the world sees them. I mean, if you are a spirit folk samurai (not sure if that was even a choice, but for sake of argument...), why would this spirit folk even be a samurai of some ruler in some land that has virtually nothing to do with his "race"? Sure, the spirit folk probably has his/her river/forest/mountain/whatever in the daimyo's province...but that would be it. Why would the daimyo accept such a creature into his confidence? Why should the daimyo even trust such a creature, who obviously would have significantly different ideas on what is "right", "just", or even "legal"...compared to humans?
The spiritual beings in East Asian legend mirror the human social order much more closely than fairy folk do in European legend. Chinese mythology even has a celestial bureaucracy with ranks, offices, and duties just like the imperial bureaucracy. And -- [MENTION=6874182]Alex Williams[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] mentioned Journey to the West. In that story, not only is the "adventuring party" composed of a variety of nonhuman characters, but the underlying reason for their journey is that they've all converted to Buddhism. You never hear about elves or trolls converting to Christianity; the implication is that they're fundamentally incapable of it. But Buddhist lore has spirits, demons, and monsters all happily joining the team and working together.

So I'm thinking that, all things being equal, it takes far less effort to explain why a river/forest/mountain/whatever spirit might be a samurai than why an elf might be a paladin.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Journey to the West is a prime example of having a group of mixed races. A human monk, the monkey king, a pig man, and another monstrous character (who I had forgotten about until I looked up the story). Three of these were of celestial origin, but I think players of D&D might want to emulate this with varied races to choose from in an oriental adventure type game. Besides, if we have dragonborn, tieflings, elves, and dwarves for western campaigns then I think it only fair to have hengeyokai, kitsune, vanara, and kappa for an oriental adventures type game.

If you want to be precise, Journey to the West consists of a human, Wukong the Celestial Monkey, Piggsy the Pig Demon, Sandy - who is a River Oni in the original stories, but who is sometimes portrayed as a kappa, and a Sea Dragon who nobody remembers because he spends the entire damn epic as serving as Tripitaka's horse.

I've seen a kitsune homebrew race that was pretty cool from memory and I think QB has already done up homebrew versions of spiritfolk. I think for me, I would at least like hengeyokai since animal shapeshifters in the form of kitsune and tanuki are quite well known. Vanara would also be welcome so that people can create their own version of the monkey king (perhaps vanara should be somewhat synergistic with monks?).
I've done homebrew versions of the Kitsune, Tanuki, Vanara, Vishkanya, Itachi, Mujina, Todomeki and Futakuchi-Onna. I think the Spiritfolk are one of the most boring races in D&D and I'm not likely to spend my time on converting them.

And Vanara come from the Indian epics - Hanuman is a Vanara who became a god - so, yeah, being master monks is actually in their mythological blood, as proven by their 3.0 and Pathfinder statblocks.

Ganymede81

First Post
PHP:
I/we have a very hard time seeing anything other than humans really 'being' any of those classes and caring about how the world sees them. I mean, if you are a spirit folk samurai (not sure if that was even a choice, but for sake of argument...), why would this spirit folk even be a samurai of some ruler in some land that has virtually nothing to do with his "race"? Sure, the spirit folk probably has his/her river/forest/mountain/whatever in the daimyo's province...but that would be it. Why would the daimyo accept such a creature into his confidence? Why should the daimyo even trust such a creature, who obviously would have significantly different ideas on what is "right", "just", or even "legal"...compared to humans?

Anyway...that's how I think of OA and the whole human/not-human schism of things. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I know you were trying to craft a hypothetical designed to support your point about the implausibility of non-human Eastern PCs, but you instead created a bunch of cool adventure hooks and fun background ideas.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If you want to be precise, Journey to the West consists of a human, Wukong the Celestial Monkey, Piggsy the Pig Demon, Sandy - who is a River Oni in the original stories, but who is sometimes portrayed as a kappa, and a Sea Dragon who nobody remembers because he spends the entire damn epic as serving as Tripitaka's horse.

I've done homebrew versions of the Kitsune, Tanuki, Vanara, Vishkanya, Itachi, Mujina, Todomeki and Futakuchi-Onna. I think the Spiritfolk are one of the most boring races in D&D and I'm not likely to spend my time on converting them.

And Vanara come from the Indian epics - Hanuman is a Vanara who became a god - so, yeah, being master monks is actually in their mythological blood, as proven by their 3.0 and Pathfinder statblocks.
I'm sure I've seen spirit folk somewhere, I probably thought they were done by you due to all the other conversions of yours I've seen. I do somewhat agree, they aren't the most inspiring of races. If I had the choice between tanuki or spirit folk, I think I'd take the tanuki every time.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I'm just mainly here to post some Monkey Magic, which I am cursed to do

Spirit Folk are honestly the first thing I'd look at ditching because I do have a hard time finding a direct source for them. Seriously, anyone have a source for these or myth as to where they've come from? Ditch 'em, replace them with Vanara or moon people

The only way I've ever kind of been 'okay' with them is just Touhouing it up (Touhou of course being a Japanese bullet hell video game around Japanese mythology and a mystical land where all the yokai and what-not have gone to hide in, and their interactions with the humans therein) and just goes "Have some fairies/fey/whatever. One of them is obsessed with ice, freezes frogs, and regularly gets in fights with other ones in order to prove she's the strongest. Another of them shows up only when its Spring and throws cherry blossoms everywhere in a whirlwind of pain. Another one is just a Lampad, sent by Hecate to get out of Hell (As Hell was pretty much abandoned because the costs to run it were too high, so they've moved onto other underworlds). You can kill them and it doesn't matter, they just regenerate and show up again later"

gyor

Legend
Pathfinder's version of Kara Tur, I forget the name, has it's own special races and a nation of Aasimar, so that is some inspiration there.

Races such as Wayang, Samsara, Vishkanya, Nagajri, Kitsune, Vanara, Kenku, could all fit in Kara Tur.

So can Aasimar, Tieflings, Genasi, Shadar-Kai as simply beings with Planar Influence.

And if are to consider media influences not just myths a race with overly friend tentacles could be a good fit ;D

Remove ads