D&D 5E What have you found to be the hardest thing for new players to understand about 5e systems?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Players new to D&D in general were never an issue. It's always the players who played other editions and were new to D&D 5e that were trouble, coming to the table with assumptions and approaches more appropriate to the previous editions. It's harder to break those old habits in my experience than to teach someone entirely new to the game.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I have new players that still think that if your not ''trained'' in something (proficient), you cant attempt this action. Like if you're not proficient in Athletic, your character cannot jump! I dont even understand this mindset but it comes up frequently.

Gavin O.

First Post
Using their imagination
This one surprised me the most. Not everyone grew up with video games and a passion for Lord of the Rings. I have met a few players who simply don't know how to engage their imagination, and who are confused and overwhelmed by the idea that they can do (or try to do) anything. Regular games have clear frameworks, but D&D doesn't in the same way. It takes getting used to. I found these people would often desperately ask for the "right" thing to do, or what specific options they have available.

This is something I have some trouble with too. I tend to play spellcasters and regularly fall into the trap of thinking that my RP options only include my spell list. Maybe I need to think of 20 different uses for Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion before I come to sessions.

I find a large barrier to more players reading the book is that nobody else owns the book.

Gavin O.

First Post
I expected players to know what they can do. I was wrong. New players do not know what their class abilities are, or when to use them, or what to do with them. Substitute "class abilities" for "race abilities" or "feats" or "spells" or "magic items" or whatever. It's not a question of resource management- they don't even know their resources. Do not assume that new players have any familiarity with any of their own abilities, or how they should be used.

The biggest offender I've seen, I don't think I've met a single Beast Master Ranger who remembered that they can add their proficiency bonus to the beast's AC, Attack rolls, and Damage rolls.

Vymair

First Post
In my group, we often start at higher levels. The character abilities and combat options for a higher level character are often bewildering to newer players. I think there is real value to starting everyone at lower levels so they can learn everything their character can do and gradually layer on more abilities. The most troublesome character in this regard has been the rogue. Understanding cunning action and all the alternatives it presents seems to be an ongoing challenge.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Heck, I don't even understand the spell system - i just let some other player at the table help them out!

I'm serious.

ConflictGames

Explorer
Well flipping over the goblin climbing the tree is a movement with an acrobatics and an athletics check backstabbing the orc does work too (attack Action), if the conditions for a sneak attack are still met (if not a rogue with cunning Action might hide as a Bonus Action). I do not see a Problem in the sequence @ConflictGames mentioned in his post.
this make me laugh :heh: Really [MENTION=6895991]Coroc[/MENTION] ?

ConflictGames

Explorer
Well flipping over the goblin climbing the tree is a movement with an acrobatics and an athletics check backstabbing the orc does work too (attack Action), if the conditions for a sneak attack are still met (if not a rogue with cunning Action might hide as a Bonus Action). I do not see a Problem in the sequence @ConflictGames mentioned in his post.
this make me laugh :heh: Really [MENTION=6895991]Coroc[/MENTION] ?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases