D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I want this to be good. My kids love D&D as much as I, and I want it to be good, for all of us.

That said, I really, really hope they don't use real-world songs for the movie. Please write a real score.

And absolutely no shiny-lipstick-Damodar-like guy. Ever.

Brodie

Explorer
This could either be a smart move or a really stupid based-on-hot-new-takes-on-a-geek-genre move by Hollywood. Fantasy is JUST NOW starting to take off as a truly viable film genre (thanks to all the grown up geeks with disposable income both going to see the movies and make the movies), helped mostly by Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and partially by superhero movies (because superhero have to have a bit of the fantastic to them... except if they're the Fantastic Four).

I agree with Jester that D&D movie should poke fun at stuff, a fighter calling out a wizard for hiding in a tower and such. Hopefully a good writer is brought on and the studio doesn't mess with the script too much. After Deadpool, I also hope the studio is willing to be a little more liberal with situations in the movie. Not necessarily the language, just ridiculous situations. Maybe get Vin Diesel to play Minsc. Imagine him shouting 'Go for the eyes, Boo!' and I bet you won't be able to get that thought out of your head.

I'm serious about getting Vin Diesel. The man loves gaming, he's passionate about things he's in, he tries to ensure things he's in are at least entertaining, and he'd probably help bankroll the movie. But his schedule probably wouldn't permit him to be in anything D&D related for quite a while.

I just hope that the movie is treated with respect for the source material and not turned into a farce.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Tell you what, If Gods of Egypt does well, I will agree and say a live action D&D movie will work. :)

Completely arbitrary. I could counter by saying that if DreamWorks' Trolls doesn't suck ochre jelly, they should consider animation.

Luckily, neither your opinion nor rmine matters. The studio has decided.

dwelwell

Villager
Yes, I think the are on to something...

After all, anything is likely better than the original....

Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."

YES. YES YES YES.

When they announced the movie, I said they should do that. Start in the FR, move out to do different universes after 3-4 FR films with different tones for each. Dark Sun for the actually-serious, gritty, small-struggle big-world film, Eberron for the "Airships! Robots! Lightning rails!" movie, Planescape for the weird, slightly-trippy "a thousand dimensions" movie...

My god. This could actually be good.

horacethegrey

First Post
If the filmmakers are wanting a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe for the film, why not simply adapt John Roger's (Leverage) D&D comic from IDW?

View attachment 74900

You have a group of five adventurers tackling dangerous situations while talking snark to each other. I think that perfectly captures the GOTG vibe the filmmakers are looking for. Now given the film is set in the Forgotten Realms, they're more likely to feature new characters, but it'd be great if they were similar to the Fell's Five party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still think they will do it as an animation movie, just do not see this being done in any other format. Fantasy movie cannot be successful at the box office, they just do not appeal to the general public, unless done as an animation.

The Mermaid may be an fluke :) but having not seen it not sure.

Ha ha, I see what you did there.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases