Second Dungeons & Dragons Product for Fall 2018: Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Wizards of the Coast announced the second product for Fall 2018, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Wizards of the Coast announced the second product for Fall 2018, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

A video promotion from D&D Beyond (linked below) aired at the end of the Saturday events on the "Stream of Many Eyes" and was uploaded to YouTube shortly after. The book will be a megadungeon that runs from Level 6-20 that details 23 different levels to Undermountain each with their own feel and theme, along with a full detailing of Skullport. It's stated in the video that running the module with weekly sessions will take at least eight months. Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage will be out November 13, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

[video=youtube;wbVRQIOuI8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVRQIOuI8s[/video]

This is the second product announced during the "Stream of Many Eyes" event on the Dungeons & Dragons Twitch channel. The event will continue on Sunday with celebrity games and potentially more product announcements from third-party companies like Gale Force Nine. The first product announced, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (along with a special dice set), were announced on Friday, June 1.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

dave2008

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], it seems something has changed to the default text when it is displayed on a black background. It is really hard to read now. Just wanted to give you the heads up!

Abstruse

Legend
@Morrus, it seems something has changed to the default text when it is displayed on a black background. It is really hard to read now. Just wanted to give you the heads up!
I just double-checked that the automatic text coloring is set. Something went weird with the article when it was posted and I had to fiddle with it to get it to allow comments. Could you check other posts to see if it's just this one, or if it's site-wide?

Edit: Nevermind, something happened with the code when I inserted the video that left a color change code that didn't close. It should be fixed now.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
I just double-checked that the automatic text coloring is set. Something went weird with the article when it was posted and I had to fiddle with it to get it to allow comments. Could you check other posts to see if it's just this one, or if it's site-wide?

Edit: Nevermind, something happened with the code when I inserted the video that left a color change code that didn't close. It should be fixed now.

It is - thanks!

D

DQDesign

Point of order: that would be the third product (not counting things like dice, screens, and such) of 2018. We just got Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes as the first, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist will be the second, and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage comes in third.

Alternately, the second product announced at the Stream of Many Eyes.
Three products, hundreds of pages, and nothing outside Forgotten Realms.
I'm very disappointed about that.
It is now clear, at least for me, that we will never see anything about some of the oldest and not-so-known settings (like Mystara, for example).
I can understand wotc behaviour, they have to produce books that sell, and FR definetely sells, what I cannot understand is keeping the settings locked on DMsGuild. I'm totally sure that for each wotc boss worried about profit there are a lot of fans willing to develop not profitable settings. I'm one of them.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think both books sound excellent. They won’t really work for my current campaign, but they sound like a great combo of adventures and I’ll likely run tham down the road when my current longstanding campaign finally wraps up.

It sounds like each could also be repurposed in a variety of ways so that it would be very easy to mine them for ideas, encounters, villains, and locations.

Three products, hundreds of pages, and nothing outside Forgotten Realms.
I'm very disappointed about that.
It is now clear, at least for me, that we will never see anything about some of the oldest and not-so-known settings (like Mystara, for example).
I can understand wotc behaviour, they have to produce books that sell, and FR definetely sells, what I cannot understand is keeping the settings locked on DMsGuild. I'm totally sure that for each wotc boss worried about profit there are a lot of fans willing to develop not profitable settings. I'm one of them.

I disagree a bit if you create a book like Mordenkainen or Xanathars that contain all the rules for unique classes of all the diferent worlds with specific stuff ... that will sell really well. You really don’t need to make a campaign book.

100% with you about the Dmguild...

exile

First Post
My feelings exactly.

I'm actually pleased by this.

Dragon Heist's concept seemed kind of meh to me, but taken in conjunction with this one, I see the purpose behind it and I've changed my position.

I remember the Undermountain boxed set and being a bit overwhelmed by the size of it. But I am really liking the concept of a city-based campaign that goes from level 1 to 20.

Actually looking forward to this now.

Remove ads

Remove ads