Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION] Ok, now i understand, and on this one i even agree with you, for consistency there would be better ways to realize the basic rulebook, but in this case i would want to have explicit stating it that a DM only has to use the parts of it which he needs. It would be a little dull to read though, compared with the way they integrate some fluff into PHB or DMG now.

I think many things in the PHB could be labeled optional and everything would be fine: e.g. Elves(optional) even Humans (optional) heck, it would be best to clarify all things which could be reasonable optional as such. In the end all you really need is some of the most Basic game mechanics, like character generation, to hit and damage rolls saving throws etc.

Do not be fooled by the phrase "campaign guide". It will be the same as normal AL guides in that it will be a 15-20 page pdf with area-specific downtime options and backgrounds and what your faction can do for you in the area.

They've posted the table of contents:

View attachment 98400
https://twitter.com/Eric_Menge/status/1006587354746892289

From the tweet:
"ToC for the #Moonshae Campaign Guide by [MENTION=6674266]Ba[/MENTION]ldmangames! 50 pages! There was just so much good stuff! New backgrounds, new organizations, and islands of adventure!"
A little bit more than 15 pages.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Do not be fooled by the phrase "campaign guide". It will be the same as normal AL guides in that it will be a 15-20 page pdf with area-specific downtime options and backgrounds and what your faction can do for you in the area.

The first one is 104 pages and has none of those things. It is entirely built of descriptions of Realms, Cities, and Towns.

You can find it here:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/244...ealms-Campaign-Supplement?affiliate_id=757342

It's very similar other settings that I've looked at.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, looks like the full implications of the DMs Guild terms of use are completely ng to bear on the Realms: Ed Greenwood can put out or give his blessing to as much setting material as can be desired.

gyor

Legend
Are the Moonshae and Border Kingdoms Setting Guides Canon? I just curious if that is part of the agreement between WotC and the respective companies, like how the SCAG is canon, even thu it was written by another company.

CapnZapp

Legend
Are the Moonshae and Border Kingdoms Setting Guides Canon? I just curious if that is part of the agreement between WotC and the respective companies, like how the SCAG is canon, even thu it was written by another company.
This does not answer your question - it's just a comment on the end of your last sentence.

The SCAG was published by WotC so its canonicity is not in question. (What company employs its writers is really of no concern in these matters - if WotC puts its name on the cover, that product is for all intents and purposes a 1PP and not a 3PP.)

gyor

Legend
This does not answer your question - it's just a comment on the end of your last sentence.

The SCAG was published by WotC so its canonicity is not in question. (What company employs its writers is really of no concern in these matters - if WotC puts its name on the cover, that product is for all intents and purposes a 1PP and not a 3PP.)

Excellent point, but your right it doesn't answer the fundlemental point.

I'd say the Moonshae book isn't. Not anymore than any other 3rd Party thing written for the Guild. It's just a world guild, which isn't something we've seen a lot of on the Guild. I imagine it just presents and repackages content we've seen before.

The Border Kingdoms book is funkier. Being written by Ed Greenwood, it'd technically be canon. But unofficial...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads