Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Well... 4 million now. 2 million in the next 44 days seems very doable. And the big shows (Talks Machina and the actual CR show) haven't aired this week, and there'll be a surge after those. And as you say, viewership of the first episode is 3,833,400 views, while the most recent episode that just dropped to YouTube a couple days ago is at 144,345 views. But the Kickstarter currently only has 30,000 backers. Less than 10% of the total viewership and a quarter of the people willing to watch the video on YouTube the day it drops. Backership of the KS could easily double or triple. While doubling the backers wouldn't double the money, it will shatter 6 million.

You might not be wronge but the run to 3.5 was insane fast but the run to 4.5 was way slower. I have no doubt that they will hit 5 and you might be right that they shatter 6 but even with the late game spike, the best prices that poeple can aford are gone. Even with 144,345 backers as an estimate I think having hit their goal already they will likely have about a 10% pay in total is my guess, but with only lower level rewards … eh ….they might make 10 million but I really feel like 6 million will be closer. If they open op more meat the cast and tour the studio rewards I think it would cause a larger spike than them stating it is open for backers at this point. Just My Opinion. I wish them luck and if they blow that away I am happy for them.

MarkB

Legend
You might not be wronge but the run to 3.5 was insane fast but the run to 4.5 was way slower. I have no doubt that they will hit 5 and you might be right that they shatter 6 but even with the late game spike, the best prices that poeple can aford are gone. Even with 144,345 backers as an estimate I think having hit their goal already they will likely have about a 10% pay in total is my guess, but with only lower level rewards … eh ….they might make 10 million but I really feel like 6 million will be closer. If they open op more meat the cast and tour the studio rewards I think it would cause a larger spike than them stating it is open for backers at this point. Just My Opinion. I wish them luck and if they blow that away I am happy for them.

They may not feel too motivated to offer further incentives. As it stands, this venture has already blown up to the point where it'll dominate a major portion of their working lives over the next 1-2 years. If it grows much further, it'll challenge their ability to work around their existing commitments, both as voice actors and streamers.

OB1

Jedi Master
They may not feel too motivated to offer further incentives. As it stands, this venture has already blown up to the point where it'll dominate a major portion of their working lives over the next 1-2 years. If it grows much further, it'll challenge their ability to work around their existing commitments, both as voice actors and streamers.

Why would it dominate a major portion of their lives? They aren’t writing, animating or directing. Mercer will probably take on some executive producing duties but that’s not a major time suck on an animated show. And the voice work will be a day or two per episode at most.

Last night they hosted a Q&A on Twitch and on it Mercer said the more money we raise, the more animation we can make. They also said they would be adding new goals at some point. Remember they are hiring writers to write the episodes and they have hired someone else to be the show runner. Their time is only spent in brainstorming at the front, approving visual designs, and one of them (Sam and/or Liam) will likely direct the voice acting. Otherwise, it's Titmouse (the animation studio) who are during the bulk of the work.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Last night they hosted a Q&A on Twitch and on it Mercer said the more money we raise, the more animation we can make. They also said they would be adding new goals at some point. Remember they are hiring writers to write the episodes and they have hired someone else to be the show runner. Their time is only spent in brainstorming at the front, approving visual designs, and one of them (Sam and/or Liam) will likely direct the voice acting. Otherwise, it's Titmouse (the animation studio) who are during the bulk of the work.
Matt also said that he wouldn't be doing all of the voices himself, either, but that they would be bringing in some special guests to do some of the voicework on NPCs and monsters.

I think they are going to add some more stretch goals soon, hopefully before Thursday night's game. They are anticipating a surge of new backers following their Thursday announcement on Twitch and YouTube, and additional stretch goals would be a good carrot to wave in front of all us hungry rabbits. :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Good point; you are very right. I was focusing on things I wouldn't have to look up details for and that seemed more directly relevant to his time with critical role or the Tiberius character, but he definitely did some sketchy stuff after parting ways with the show.

The vibe I was picking up was that he wasn’t enjoying Matt’s DMing. There was a definite sign of him chafing at some of Matt’s rulings. Perfectly fine for a player and DM to not mesh. though I wonder if he regrets that now?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Why would it dominate a major portion of their lives? They aren’t writing, animating or directing. Mercer will probably take on some executive producing duties but that’s not a major time suck on an animated show. And the voice work will be a day or two per episode at most.

Actually this seems like a project being spearheaded by Travis and Sam. But agreed that they’ll be mostly treated like any other voice acting gig once the script is green lit.

Remove ads

Remove ads