D&D 5E Villains that are supposed to escape

Oofta

Legend
In 5e, that's not even a switch or an override, it's just making different rulings. The villain tries to escape, the DM narrates successful escape, the players try to stop him, the DM narrates failure, the party tries to track or pursue him, the DM narrates the pursuit taking them to a side-encounter or dead end.
Perfectly orthodox 5e play dynamic.

I hate it when video games do they do that. Even worse if it happens during a D&D game. YMMV of course, different people play for different reasons.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I hate it when video games do they do that. Even worse if it happens during a D&D game. YMMV of course, different people play for different reasons.
Exactly. The DM /can/ narrate a villain's escape if he and his group are playing for a dramatic story arc, or, he can narrate his capture/death because the players like 'getting it right' and subverting genre tropes - or he can call for checks, set DCs, and 'let the dice fall where they may' like an old-school wargaming judge. They're each equally valid under the 5e DM's role - a big part of the way it delivers on it's goal of supporting multiple playstyles.

Dausuul

Legend
I have some rules for adventure design that I apply in my own campaigns, and that I think module writers should also consider:

• If you expect the PCs to attack it, they will talk to it.
  • If you expect the PCs to talk to it, they will attack it.
  • If you think the PCs can't possibly win a battle, they will.
  • If you think the PCs will surrender to obviously superior force, they won't.
  • Nothing on earth is deadlier than a PC who sees the enemy escaping combat. They have the cunning of Napoleon, the luck of a three-time Powerball jackpot winner, and the tenacity of a halfling defending dinner. All battles involving PCs take place in an invisible Thunderdome*: Two sides enter, one side leaves.

[size=-2]*Technically, this is not entirely true. Sometimes the Thunderdome is visible.[/size]

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have some rules for adventure design that I apply in my own campaigns, and that I think module writers should also consider:

If you expect the PCs to attack it, they will talk to it.
If you expect the PCs to talk to it, they will attack it.
Ah, so you know my players! ;)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Massacre the Halfling townsfolk! Bargain with the dog faced humanoids!! Massacre the little blue gnomes!!! Have tea and cakes with Gargamel!!1!

Yeah, players are, at best, unpredictable.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I was just wondering how you handle it when the module says that a villain escapes when he is about to lose the battle, but actually has no means to escape combat-mechanics-wise (grappled, etc.).
Are there actually any 5e modules that do this?

Would you just force it and just override any combat rules and switch to narration mode or just let the villain die if he can't get away through combat means, making the players miss out on potentially fun pursue scenes?
It depends. If I’ve got a good rapport with the players and I have a strong sense that they’d be accepting of me just narrating the villain’s escape, then sure. On the other hand, one of the things I enjoy most about D&D is the power the PCs have to say “screw what the plot says is supposed to happen, we make our own fate.” And that’s something I would never want to take away from the players.

Sacrosanct

Legend
One villain has a teleporter to get away, but I think that's it. No villains other then that are assumed to escape.

And if I recall, it was early in with the bad guy who also happens to leave behind his greatsword that added 2d6 acid damage or something. I recall that being the most eyebrow raising thing. Lower level PC with a greatsword +2d6 extra damage. It was odd, from a design/balance standpoint

Remove ads