D&D 5E Poll for PC's with 4 or more levels in a class.

My current (or last PC with 4 or more levels) has 4 or more levels in:

Mephista

Adventurer
Multiclassing is actually rarer than it seems. Maybe around 20%, let's say? So, naturally, while we'll see some skewing, it's not to a large extent.

Almost never play (last PC was a bard), but my two current 5e campaigns have fighters with level higher than 4th. One of them even used to have two fighters. Multiclass is not very popular in our circle, except for a few players who like to combo class mechanics for specific effects.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Multiclassing is actually rarer than it seems. Maybe around 20%, let's say? So, naturally, while we'll see some skewing, it's not to a large extent.

It is, but some classes are much better off with a early multiclass. For example level 1 Life Cleric - then Lore Bard rest of way. You get the armor, bless, guidance, +2 to heal spells so aura of life is 2d6+5, a big boost. Wizards can get a big boost with a knowledge domain dip, etc. Barbarian mixing in levels of fighter to get that crit boost and a fighting style, a Barbarian with fighter levels can take dueling and shield master to prone most anything when raging or two-weapon fighting to stack all of those bonuses with rage, 3 attacks with advantage and expanded crit range is very effective. With favored soul coming out I can see Tempest Cleric dipping into SOR to get lightening lure to match up with that class features, pull them in, damage them then push them away in a different direction and the ever popular booming blade.

Some players like multi-classing just to multiclass too.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think 5e did the best job of not having to multiclass to get your archetypes. In 3e multiclassing was pretty much assumed. With backgrounds and general more broad feats, I have seen less multiclassing in 5e than any other edition (I don't play 4e so I can't speak to that).

I also think most gamers don't multiclass to maximize builds. Optimizers have always been a pretty small minority. Also, with 5e, I've noticed that with the way class abilities are designed, it makes it harder to want to mutliclass. I.e., "Well, if I take this other level, that means I'm losing out on this ability if I just stayed with my current class." This is purely anecdotal, but I see multiclassed PCs more often when you start at level X, rather than work your way up through the levels at a normal pace because of that reason.

By making the choice have both pros and cons, I think they did a great job in design.

Mephista

Adventurer
It is, but...
But you missed the point. This thread is a spin off of the original table on D&D Beyond's characters, which shows a VERY huge preference for human fighters, by a wide margin. While there is some distortion due to multiclassing, I don't think its common enough to distort such a lead.

That was the point I was making, nothing more.

Yes, some people like multiclassing, and some classes are distinctively better for dips than other classes. But, even if we assume that 20% of people that make up the survey are using the more popular classes for dips, and remove them from the calculations we still get a very notable preference for Human Fighters in first place.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Define "current" PC. I play a lot of Adventure League, I have about a dozen characters (ranging from level 3 to 16), any of which may be played next depending on the module being run and what the other players bring. I would check off all of the classes on the list except druid, ranger and wizard.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up. Somehow I missed that part, and the number of names by each choice not equaling the number of votes next to each choice was even more confusing.

As I have only ever DMed 5e and never played, I don't have anything to contribute to the data.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases