Is Dark Sun Coming To D&D?

WotC staff are dropping cryptic hints about campaign settings again! A couple of week ago it was Spelljammer; this time, it's Dark Sun. At Gary Con this year, during a D&D panel, WotC's Mike Mearls said of the psionic Mystic class -- "we don't need that class until we do Dark Sun."

WotC staff are dropping cryptic hints about campaign settings again! A couple of week ago it was Spelljammer; this time, it's Dark Sun. At Gary Con this year, during a D&D panel, WotC's Mike Mearls said of the psionic Mystic class -- "we don't need that class until we do Dark Sun."

8f89b5b7153673efea3fea518c6b8a54a59dba2af91d029ea96f5b12aeb5afe5.jpg

He followed it up with with the usual note that he can't make product announcements and that all settings were part of the multiverse. You can hear the seminar on the Plot Points podcast. "Ben recorded a seminar wherein six game designers who worked on Dungeons and Dragons (Skip Williams, Jon Pickens, Zeb Cook, Ed Stark, Steve Winter, and Mike Mearls) talk about game design. During the talk, current lead designer Mike Mearls may very well have let slip what the next classic D&D game world he will be reviving next!"

Dark Sun was a campaign setting released back in the 1990s, and was a post-apocalyptic desert world called Athas, with psionics in abundance and dark survivalist themes. It made a reappearance in 2010 for D&D 4E.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Not bad 3 pages in and here starts our first side-argument. Let's see how long this Large size distraction goes on. :)

For mine, we had a LOT of fun with Dark Sun. I wrote a lot of my own material for that setting. I would LOVE to be able to write DMsGuild material for that world, but alas, we cannot do that at this stage :(

Are you asserting that Half Giants were Medium in 2e Dark Sun?

Edit: Size distinctions were not typically used for PCs in 2e. However, for monsters it was a different matter. In the 2e Monstrous Compendium, monsters are indeed sorted into size categories. Size "Large" is designated to those creatures between 7 and 12 feet tall. In the Dark Sun boxed set, Half Giants are described as being between 10 and 12 feet tall. So you can either say that half giants as a PC race had no official size, or that half giants as a monster were size Large.

Ya done got schooled, son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

:confused:

Where did I assert that? The only things I asserted is that there was indeed a "Large" category in 2e (contrary to your former post that "there was no "Large" size distinction made in 2e"), and that PCs that size would take more damage. I'm really not sure how you took "having a large sized PC in 2e had its disadvantages due to increased weapon damage" as meaning "Half Giants were Medium in 2e Dark Sun"...

:confused:

I'd be happy to see any of these settings return. A thought crossed my mind that WotC could plan on doing a "settings book" which looks at the multiverse and provides a write-up on each setting, enough adaptive material to get people rolling. Not sure how well received it would be, but it would be one way to get some unique settings in to 5E without spending five years waiting for setting X to see something in print.

gyor

Legend
To me, that reads as the opposite - the Dark Sun isn't currently on the cards and that, therefore, neither is the Mystic. (It's also worth noting that Eberron also 'needs' psionics, though...)

And, incidentally, any of those three settings (Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Eberron) would be fine with me. Certainly preferable to more Realms (and, alas, I was never a fan of Planescape).

Forgotten Realms also has Psionics, not as current or pressing as the other two, but it did have the Psicracy of Jhaamdath among others.

Yaarel

He Mage
Source for that statement?

They've already put the mystic through a round of public playtesting, and that suggests they're pretty far along. Of course, it's possible that feedback from the playtest sent them back to the drawing board, but I didn't get any sense that there were unfixable problems with the mystic.

Actually, to a twitter question, ‘Mystic this year? Artificer this year?’, Mearls answered, ‘Maybe’.

I interpreted this to mean, it is not in the plans. But the actual answer suggests the designers might get to it, after all the projects that are already in the works are done. Perhaps, the publication of the mystic and the artificer might be electronic before it becomes a book.

In any case, it seems Dark Sun wont be ready by this year.

Yaarel

He Mage
I think Sorcerer is a better choice for making into a psionicist. In fact, I did just that a while back on these boards...

Meanwhile, I like the Mystic conceptually, for the most part. I think it has a few kinks that need to be worked out.

And I'd be TOTALLY behind a new Dark Sun! LOVED that campaign setting! But this time, Wizards, please -- LARGE half-giants, not this "powerful build" crap. And ditch the antlike medium sized "thri-kreen" with their little butt-pods -- back to the LARGE mantis-folk we remember and love -- REAL mantis folk with REAL mantis abdomens! There's a Sir Mix-a-Lot joke in there somewhere...

That reminds me. 5e should have dumped the sorcerer and merged it into the psion mystic from the get-go.

This doesn't mean we will see the return of Dark Sun in 2019 or 2020, but there is a project about this. They have to choose a lot of things, for example the option of allowing the new races and classes. Are there monks in the gladiator arenas of Athas, or a favored soul who prays no deity but with divine magic? Are the spynewyrns trued dragons or only magic beasts? And what if there is a future sourcebook about "biopunk technology", and any players want it to add to Athas? Why not to create a "spin-off", about people from Athas who travels throught a no-return planar gate to a different world where they can find new things? For example the factions of Jakandor, the psiforged, shardminds, the characters from John Carter lord of Mars or Hanna-Barbera cartoon "Pirate of the dark waters".

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=779]Kobold Avenger[/MENTION] #20 You are only partially right on this. The Mul is totally easy 1:1 refluff of the Halforc, nothing needed for that one (except evtly. give Advantage on Exhaustion and such, but everything is alrweady there).

Half Giant is far more complicated in 5E because you need to give him Strength of 20+ somehow and that is not covered by BA. Also you Need some solution for the size and the alignment shifts. A Goliath is a weak shadow of a half giant that is not at all a solution or even a valid approach.

Thrikreen is also a tough nut because of poison attack (could be done by refluffing Dragonborn breath weapon) and natural attacks (4claw and 1 bite in 2nd ed.)

Remove ads

Remove ads