Graph Paper Romance: When D&D Characters Date

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

I’ve played in games with real-life couples whose characters were involved with each other from the start. That seems to be fairly common based on what I’ve heard from other people, and it makes sense. Player groups with a mix of genders and orientations may be more likely to introduce intra-party romance. And some players may feel uncomfortable dealing with in-game romance and prefer to avoid it entirely. However, it can add an interesting element to your game if the other player involved also is onboard with the idea.

Ask Before Proceeding
If you want to initiate a romance between your character and another player’s, don’t take it for granted that the other player is into it. You probably can gauge how your target will feel about it when you know that player well enough. If you’re friends, they may be fine with you introducing the notion within the game, and just roll with it.

For example, I am playing in a Curse of Strahd campaign with friends. Naturally, most of our characters are strangers thrown together by mysteriously misty circumstances. A few sessions in, my friend playing a non-binary half-elf sorcerer announced that her character definitely would flirt with my character. She knows me well enough to know it wouldn’t bother me, regardless of whether my character was interested. But my character was very okay with it, so it was that simple for our characters to start up a little romance. There’s little time for a slow burn in Barovia, so we just jumped in. Our DM was entertained enough by this to make us both roll DEX checks for makeout success once (I rolled a 19!), and their relationship became a minor aspect of the overall narrative.

However, some players might be very not-okay with a move like that. Amorous pursuits can be a sensitive subject, so I encourage you always to proceed with caution and respect (in D&D and life in general). Either way, it may be prudent to ask the other player outside the game if they are comfortable with the idea of your character showing interest in theirs. Some DMs also might appreciate you sharing your intentions with them. As a DM, I would love to know when a character in a sandbox game has a crush so I can pick up that thread, but that’s just my own preference.

PC and NPC, Sitting in a Tree
Striking up a romance with an NPC presents its own challenges. It’s one thing to have two PCs get involved, but starting a thing with an NPC potentially translates into one character having long interactions with the DM that could get tedious for other players over time. But if your group enjoys RP-heavy play where each character can have their own interests and side plots, it can be a great source of drama and/or comedy.

In another ongoing campaign with my friends, we all are playing young adults, and most of our characters don’t have much romantic experience, if any. It was fun when one character starting awkwardly flirting with a cute young elf cleric NPC we met. She wanted to ask her out, so the rest of our characters dropped everything else we were doing to help. We kinda derailed the session with what quickly turned into Archie Comics-style teen hijinx, but we had a blast. Making sure they had a successful coffee date instantly became a group project for the party.

Our characters just had been through a bunch of drama and near-death, so it was a perfect way for those kids to blow off some steam and put their energy into a positive project that didn’t involve killing anyone. We tapped the full comedic potential of having a minotaur monk, a goliath barbarian, an aasimar fighter, and a human rogue run around gathering intel about the cleric so our dragonborn paladin could have good small talk over coffee with her. They’re both rather shy and their romance is developing slowly, but it added a fun new dimension...and we got ourselves a friendly cleric who will help our party not die. Win-win!

There are so many ways in-game romance can turn out either well or horribly, for characters and players alike. Do you ever include romantic plots in your D&D campaigns? If so, did it add an enjoyable element to your story, or create any issues?

contributed by Annie Bulloch

S

Sunseeker

Romantic interactions are generally available, but I tend to prefer them player-initiated. I will approach them however a player wants to do it, pure role-play, roll-play, just as long as whatever is going down A: does not bog down the game and steal the show, and B: always fades to black.

NPCs coming on to the players is usually a plot device by me the DM to get the players to do some quest or something.

I don't have a whole lot of players who show interest in it though. But that may simply be that I'm not putting much effort into presenting available romance.

****this is all assuming the appropriate group of course.

I've done it a couple times. Once with another PC, and once with an NPC in an ongoing game.
I find it works well if you don't approach it too seriously and really keep it as a background motivation.

I had a PC that was really a reluctant adventurer that didn't like the rest of the group but was forced together with them. He was an ass. And then they had some downtime and started a new adventure. I needed a good in-character reason for my PC to stay with a group that he should realistically be leaving. Having him fall in love with another PC worked. It kept him in the party and made him more cooperative
While I didn't tell the other player, I didn't force the romance on her: had she decided not to reciprocate, it would have just been unrequited. (It helped that she and I were married to different people, so there wasn't the hint of me romancing her character to get to her.) But what made it entertaining for the rest of the table was the sitcom-esque aspects. My character was reluctant to tell the object of his affection how he felt and continued to do small heroic gestures to catch her eye, while she was oblivious to his attraction. Which led to embarrassment, humiliation, and comedy. Not treating it like high drama while also having a character you could laugh at made the resulting events far more entertaining.
And designing it like a will-they-won't-they relationship also relieved the pressure to have it consummated or move to the "next level".

Schmoe

Adventurer
Yeah, absolutely. I hoped it would go without saying, but: don't be inappropriate. Don't be a creep. Again, this is a rule for D&D and also real life.

With all due respect, I think "Don't be a creep" completely undersells the point that he was making. There is nothing more inherently creepy about introducing romance in a game with 14 year olds than in a game with co-workers or a game with people at your local game store. You want everyone to be comfortable with introducing romance into a game, and it's conceivable that the groups in any of those situations might be interested in romance. But crucially, the distinction is that there are certain situations where no matter how comfortable the group is, the consequences of anything being misinterpreted go far beyond just some hurt feelings or a broken gaming group. People should recognize those situations and avoid romance entirely if that is the situation they are in, no matter what else.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Having played mostly in Dragonlance, of course there’s been a lot of romance (both PC-PC and PC-NPC) in games over the years (especially as the mega-campaign has spanned three generations and players have played the children or grandchildren of their own or others’ characters). However, it’s basically always been played as classic courtly romance and chaste dramatic roleplaying (the rest being “offscreen”), whether the pair is involved or uninvolved in real life (or the classic pairing of one half of a real-life couple at the table in-game-paired with a third character!).

To be fair, I imagine that part of that is our group being folks who got into D&D generally over the period of 2e and 3e, when the sort of heavy-romantic roleplaying was in the White Wolf corner of the hobby. Even among Dragonlance fans, we were more TH White than Anne Rice.

flametitan

Explorer
I included a gag element of one of the questgiver NPCs having a not so subtle crush on the rogue, and the group was pretty enthusiastic about him. It's only been one session so far, though, so anything might happen in the future. Maybe it fizzles; maybe he takes a liking to a different PC, or even an NPC outside of the party's entourage. Or maybe it might make a lasting impression on the game.

RevelationMD

First Post
I tend to run and play pretty adult games - as I say when advertising them, think Game of Thrones not Harry Potter - and romance is normally a big part of it (with the inevitable 'fade to black' moments). For me, the human interraction between pcs and npcs is as important as the moster bashing and love, like hate, is an interesting driver of human interraction.

Totally agree with previous statements though - you have to be sure your party are ok with it and having a 14 year old girl at the table would change things somewhat. But, then again I probably wouldn't play with a 14 year old girl as we would probably want very different styles of game.

Zansy

Explorer
There was one time my character fell in love with an NPC. a big part of that involved my elf conjurer trying to prove he's as much of a man with the sword as the rogue and fighter. even with a magic sword as a handicap, he got his butt handed to him. the DM tried to explain to me, through that character's words, that it wasn't about my character being a man, but about being intelligent, unique and sensitive. I'm not gonna go into details but I learned that when it comes to RPing romantic relationships, even in a group of adults I drew the line at the physical scenes. I couldn't roleplay that with another person. I wouldn't get any kicks from that no matter how much I ship the characters. and even besides that, the other players gave me the fish eye because she was a DMPC. as far as I'm concerned, though, nobody's perfect *shrugs*

It's also interesting to note that two characters in the current campaign I'm in are on the verge of being in a relationship, though they're both too shy to make the first move. but both sides ship it; the group ships it; the campaign universe ships those two characters together. To be continued :p

Remove ads

Remove ads