So Mike Mearls is on the phone...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Variant Rules. Tons of all the craziest stuff they've been working in Unearthed Arcana, and then some, but with stronger playtesting, on things such as alternate skill systems, class feature swapping, Alchemists, Gunslingers, you name it. Basically , PF Unchained but for 5e.

This what I was going to say. I remember the original Unearthed Arcana for AD&D with the slightly befuddled wizard on the front. But it's the 3rd Edition Unearthed Aracana I'd want - not just "new things that fit the existing framework" like the 5e UA articles, but whole replacement variant subsystems.

Here's how to modify Armor for DR. Here's an alternate casting system. Here's a rock-paper-scissors(-lizard-Spock) set of stances for martial characters. All new stuff. And sure, steal some old stuff too: gestalt rules, races + monster levels (a la 3ed Savage Species). Plus it's allowed to be different, s we could have a new two weapon fighting or a new beastmaster/pet character.

All with designer commentary about ripple effects.

And I want the "knobs and dials" that they promised before 5e came out, where you can adjust from gritty and dark through high fantasy as well as the other axis of adjustment.

Oofta

Legend
Dungeon Master's World Building Guidelines

Broken down into multiple sections:
  • Essays from a handful of developers on how to build worlds and run campaigns.
  • Optional rules for mass combat
  • Guidelines for building keeps and castles
  • Building, running and influencing organizations
  • Historical perspectives and discussion on how to integrate magic into the world. What was life really like for people in different eras and areas?

schnee

First Post

I've been asking for a "hacker's guide" that's all about homebrew, optional rules, and the like. And as a sneaky way of adding campaign setting content. But it sounds like they're adding campaign content via PDFs.

There's two books I really want. Which I want more varies depending on the time of day.
So Imma gonna cheat and say two.

Van Richten's Guide to the Horrors
192-pages
Price: $49.95

Yet another combination lore/monster book. This one focusing on the lore of the monsters, their lairs, and how to hunt them, ostensibly being written as a guide by Rudolph van Richten of Ravenloft.
This should have a little less history on the monster types and more of how the individual mosnters can arise. Plus how to run the types of adventures they're involved in: there should be advice on investigating and hunting monsters.
Plus lots of variants to customize these monsters to make them more unique and act as villains and less just random encounters.

Chapter 1: Vampires
Hunting bloodsuckers. Variant traits for older and younger vampires as well as variant vampires that might have different weaknesses.
Perhaps some salient powers to customize your vampires. Lair actions and regional effects.
Chapter 2: Lycanthropes
Some lore on the curse of lycanthrope. More advice on players being bitten and controlling their curse.
Chapter 3: Ghosts
How ghosts arise and variant ghostly powers. Optional rules and advice for laying ghosts to rest.
Chapter 4: Golems
A focus on flesh golems, but other types included.
Alternate materials and some special weaknesses.
Chapter 5: Mummies
Alternate environments such as bog and ice mummies. Ancient powers and dark magics.
Chapter 6: Liches
New spells and dark magics. Traps and rituals.
Chapter 7: Bestiary
Whatever rando monsters they want to throw into this one.
Chapter 8: Customization Options
Advice and rules for customizing and tweaking monsters. Such as monster themes and alternate powers, plus advice on making villains and running monster hunts that focus on investigation and tracking. Suggestions for making monsters Legendary.

Each of the first six chapter around 20-odd pages, with a forty page bestiary and the final chapter rounding out the remaining twenty-odd to thirty pages

Kwalish's Guide of the Wonderous
160-pages
Price: $39.95

The 5e Magic Item Compendium mashed with 2e's Book of Artifacts.

Chapter 1: Class Options
The artificer and maybe some other feats and options based on crafting or relying on items. I can imagine a feat that lets you burn spell slots to recharge items or options for draining items to fuel personal magic.
Maybe 10 pages.
Perhaps some new spells and the like.
Chapter 2: Magic Items
The meat of the book.
More minor properties and quirks. Lots of small, funky little powers that can be used to customize magic items so they’re not just a “+1 longsword”.
And then just page after page of new magic items.
75+ pages.
Chapter 3: Artifacts
More super powerful items, old and new. Maybe even some lower powered artifacts.
Maybe a dozen pages. Just need a few extras.
Chapter 3: Items of Legacy
Making story based magic items that improve with you as you gain levels.
15 pages
Chapter 5: Crafting
A reprint of the rules included in Guide to Everything with some expansion and more options on harvesting components (and the prices of harvested components). Perhaps some sample items being created, such as a wand of lighting using a behir horn.
Maybe some rules on transferring enchantments from one weapon to another or improving the magic of certain items,
Perhaps 15 or so pages.
Chapter 6: Shops
Just a few sample magic item shoppes, with lists of items available and some prices. Ranging from the lowly curio shop in a small hamlet to a bazaar in the City of Brass.
Twenty pages or so.

5ekyu

Hero
Rites, Rituals and Regio - Not Just Things You Quest to Stop or Destroy Anymore.
lots and lots of details on rituals, rites, ceremonies, hedge magic, alchemy, herbalisms, fetishes, charms and then at the end as the oddball some more interesting stuff about mystical locations and their like.

Some sub-classes, lotsa rites and rituals that anyone can do plus mechanics for concocting more. All those love poitoions gone awry and summonings gone too right etc - this is where they come from!

Old One Eye

First Post
I am so easy that I will probably get what I want.

Needs a desert adventure/gazetteer for Anauroch in the same vein as the other 5e adventures.

Needs a ship-based adventure/gazetteer for the islands and towns along the sword coast.

Remove ads