Feat: Innate Casting - request critique

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Please critique this homebrew feat:

Innate Casting
Requirement: Character level 7th or higher
You may cast a spell from the list below without using a slot, as if from a 1st level slot. You need not know/have this spell prepared. When cast this way it does not have Concentration - you do not need to concentrate, it can not be lost to damage, and it does not interrupt existing concentration. Once any spell is cast using this, you may not use this power again until you complete a short or long rest.

The spells you may choose are dependent on your class or classes:

Bard: Heroism
Cleric: Protection from Evil and Good
Druid: Entangle
Paladin: Shield of Faith
Ranger: Hunter's Mark
Warlock: Hex

Discussion
This started as a Hunter's Mark / Hex feat, but then I expanded it to include other iconic first level concentration spells that last for one encounter. Though I stayed away from the "always cast" spells like Bless because that's too much.

I didn't have a sorcerer or wizard spell that seemed iconic enough. And I'm okay with that.

The level requirement is so that the effective extra short-rest-recharge slot and free concentration doesn't overwhelm as much at it would do at low levels. Those are both very nice features, but by 7th the utility of 1st level spells are still worthwhile but not golden anymore. Is it still worth of spending a feat on that late?

I thought about giving it sooner, but with the penalty of permanently giving up a 1st level slot. But that doesn't seem very 5e-like.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You are essentially giving a player the power of a wand without having to give them the wand.

Considering most wands have like 7 charges of a particular spell per day... giving the PC these spells innately once per short rest (which will end up being like at-most 3 times in a day but probably only once or twice) will not to my mind cause any big issue. Yeah, the "no concentration necessary" addition is slightly a buff over having a wand, but even that I don't see as being any great shakes. They'd go from potentially 7 castings of the spell out of the wand to like 2 castings through the innate magic. The only thing you lose by doing this is removing several options for additional magic items to give out to players.

If you are okay with that, then I personally think it'll be fine.

OB1

Jedi Master
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] I think this is solid, but it feels a bit too narrow. I think it can be opened up a bit without becoming over powered.

Innate Casting
Requirement: Character level 7th or higher
When you take this feat, choose a 1st level spell that you know which requires concentration. You may cast that spell without using a slot, as if from a 1st level slot. When cast this way it does not have Concentration - you do not need to concentrate, it can not be lost to damage, and it does not interrupt existing concentration. Once any spell is cast using this, you may not use this power again until you complete a short or long rest.

If that is too powerful, I think you could say that it doesn't require concentration, but you must still make a concentration check when taking damage to continue the effect of the spell.

Multiple shield of faith or protection fr evil can be too much for some encounters.
Another note, a warlock that cast hex at using a level 4 slot, it is not a level 1 spell. It will last 8 hours.
Vengeance paladin would like to use it on hunter mark too.
Better let the player choose the spell.
The feat will produce some weird effects anyway.

Blue

Multiple shield of faith or protection fr evil can be too much for some encounters.

The same spell overlaps, it does not stack. So they could be one two different targets, but that's not particularly bad.

Another note, a warlock that cast hex at using a level 4 slot, it is not a level 1 spell. It will last 8 hours.

True and a different style. Hex lasting 8 hours from a 4th level slot doesn't require the feat - but does end if you cast any other Concentration spell, and there are a lot of good ones on the Warlock list. Concentration could also be lost with damage. That's perfectly valid, but doesn't mean the feat is not one that some Warlocks would take.

Vengeance paladin would like to use it on hunter mark too.
Better let the player choose the spell.

Choosing the spell becomes a lot more powerful. First, there are some spells like Bless that would be cast every combat if they didn't have the opportunity cost of blocking other Concentration spells. Second there are debuffs and stuff that you're getting rid of a way to remove. Finally it makes it more powerful because it becomes the full casting of Warlock 1 - you can cast any 1st level once per short rest.

No, choosing the spell is definitely not in balance with other feats.

Blue

This looks to be more like a class feature than a feat.

Well, yes. Hunter's Mark (and probably Hex) should have been class features in my opinion. But that's not the game we have, and adding a feat to a game is less invasive then redesigning a class.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'd look for a different name, in that when I read "innate spellcaster" I think of a dip into sorcerer as if you were born able to case.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Choosing the spell becomes a lot more powerful. First, there are some spells like Bless that would be cast every combat if they didn't have the opportunity cost of blocking other Concentration spells. Second there are debuffs and stuff that you're getting rid of a way to remove. Finally it makes it more powerful because it becomes the full casting of Warlock 1 - you can cast any 1st level once per short rest.

No, choosing the spell is definitely not in balance with other feats.
I'm not sure I agree. Personally, my powergamer instincts tell me I would only take your original feat if I was a warlock or ranger, and then only if it was also a +1 ASI. I wouldn't skip GWM or SS or getting a +2 ASI for it, certainly.

A once per short rest no-concentration Bless/Hex/Hunter's Mark (assuming you pick one and only one of those) for any class, I would put solidly on the "competitive with +2 ASI" tier. It's still not at the SS/GWM tier, but it's definitely at that sweet spot with feats like Elven Accuracy, Lucky, Polearm Master, and Inspiring Leader where I will definitely consider it for one of my feat slots at 4 and 8. And honestly, that's the power level I like feats to be at.

Blue

I'd look for a different name, in that when I read "innate spellcaster" I think of a dip into sorcerer as if you were born able to case.

Fair enough. Any thoughts? Trying to show that you have internalized a spell enough you don't need to even concentrate or take a slot. Spell Mastery and Signature Spell are already name of a wizard features so I wouldn't want to duplicate.

Remove ads