So is it official now? Counterspelling

Markh3rd

Explorer
I’ve seen some DMs say, since you’re already in the process of casting a spell when someone counterspells you, you can’t counterspell the counterspell because you can’t cast two separate spells simultaneously. Then others say, the fireball you cast is on its way to the target when it tried to be counterspelled, so you can use your reaction to counterspell it.

The rule seems to imply the first scenario,that you are interrupting someone trying to get the spell off, instead of stopping a spell already completed. Depending on how they read that I have had this rule go either way. Which can be a tad frustrating when playing different tables.

Gwarok

Explorer
Keep in mind if you cast a spell using a bonus action, the only other spell you can cast on your turn is a cantrip. This means no counterspell if you have already cast a spell using a bonus action on that turn. It doesn't happen very often, but it is possible.

Just to be clear...It can really only happen on your own turn (since that is when you get a bonus action); you would have already cast, or be casting, a bonus action spell; the enemy is now either countering the bonus action spell, or a cantrip you cast after the bonus action spell; you cannot counterspell the counterspell. It may also occur during a spell based legendary action, since they occur at the end of other creature's turns.

Counterspell isn't a bonus action, it's a reaction so that rule does not apply.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve seen some DMs say, since you’re already in the process of casting a spell when someone counterspells you, you can’t counterspell the counterspell because you can’t cast two separate spells simultaneously. Then others say, the fireball you cast is on its way to the target when it tried to be counterspelled, so you can use your reaction to counterspell it.

The rule seems to imply the first scenario,that you are interrupting someone trying to get the spell off, instead of stopping a spell already completed. Depending on how they read that I have had this rule go either way. Which can be a tad frustrating when playing different tables.

The official sage advice compendium is pretty clear. You can counterspell a counterspell of one of your own spells. I would show that at the table and expect it to be followed in the exception of a house rule stating otherwise. Table rules rule after all.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Counterspell isn't a bonus action, it's a reaction so that rule does not apply.

That post was specifically talking about a scenario where you HAD cast a bonus action spell on your turn. I went to great pains to point out it was a very limited scenario and use clear and precise language.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Are you suggesting that a reaction on your own turn uses a different amount effort to a reaction in someone else’s turn?

That is illogical.

I am not suggesting that and am not sure what point you are making. I have a ton of opinions on how I THINK some of the 5e rules should be written, but am discussing RAW in this thread.

If you have a RAW citation for your statement that reactions happen outside of the round structure, I would love to see it. Like I said, I have seen people make that claim before, but haven't had any luck in finding an official ruling or SA backing it up.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That post was specifically talking about a scenario where you HAD cast a bonus action spell on your turn. I went to great pains to point out it was a very limited scenario and use clear and precise language.

I think your post was internally clear but not clear in the context of this thread. I know that when I first read it I assumed you were pointing to that last sentence in the bonus action rule to claim that you can't reaction cast on your turn at all. In hindsight it may have been beneficial for you to have included a brief comment explaining that you normally can cast reaction spells on your turn but wanted to point out that using a bonus action spell prevents this normal interaction.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I think your post was internally clear but not clear in the context of this thread. I know that when I first read it I assumed you were pointing to that last sentence in the bonus action rule to claim that you can't reaction cast on your turn at all. In hindsight it may have been beneficial for you to have included a brief comment explaining that you normally can cast reaction spells on your turn but wanted to point out that using a bonus action spell prevents this normal interaction.

Fair enough. I have added said disclaimer to my initial post :)

TheSword

Legend
I am not suggesting that and am not sure what point you are making. I have a ton of opinions on how I THINK some of the 5e rules should be written, but am discussing RAW in this thread.

If you have a RAW citation for your statement that reactions happen outside of the round structure, I would love to see it. Like I said, I have seen people make that claim before, but haven't had any luck in finding an official ruling or SA backing it up.

It has been specifically addressed in the sneak attack official sage advice compedium. Where despite being limited to one per turn a reaction exists outside this and allows a second sneak attack.

AriochQ

Adventurer
It has been specifically addressed in the sneak attack official sage advice compedium. Where despite being limited to one per turn a reaction exists outside this and allows a second sneak attack.

You mean this one? That says he cannot do it on his turn? It supports my interpretation.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/12/0...n-can-he-also-use-sneak-attack-on-a-reaction/

Rogue uses sneak attack on his turn can he also use sneak attack on a reaction?

December 7, 2017Zoltar

of a rogue uses sneak attack on his turn can he also use sneak attack on a reaction?Yes

— Mike Mearls (@mikemearls) October 9, 2017

As long as the reaction isn’t on the same turn.

— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) October 9, 2017

Remove ads