[Merged] D&D forum renaming thread

Since all I did was change the name of two forums, there’s no way it could have unsubscribed you from anything.

Then some other glitch happened at about the same time. I only keep subscriptions to threads I have commented on, and I go through every few months and unsubscribe to the oldest stuff that has gone inactive or that I no longer have interest in. So I probably had between 5 and 10 subscribed threads since the last time I did that. But when I realized I was only getting email notifications for one thread, even though there should have been others, I checked my list and there was only that one thread subscribed. I went ahead and unsubscribed from that one, since I was not reading it anymore, but I have no idea what happened to the rest that should have still been on my list.

Edit: and I just went now to look and make sure this thread was showing as subscribed, and there are 24 other threads showing now that were not when I made my other post. Some of the ones showing again are ones I was sure I had manually unsubscribed to, so something weird is going on.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't get it.

If the only thing changed is name changes, that sounds like a shruggable edit.

If, OTOH, now 3E, 4E and 5E threads are jumbled together that's a huge change, and a very unfortunate one.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've given it some time, but I'm still not a fan. I agree that Jim Ward's column is wonderful, but I don't think it was worth the confusion the merge has created.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I know I said it early, but I just want to restate it to confirm that it's not a knee-jerk reaction:
Unless edition tagging is mandatory (and somehow retroactively applied), it's just unusable ATM.
Filter by 5e? Miss out on the untagged 5e threads.
Use no filter? Wade through everything else and hope that the interesting untagged thread is about 5e.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I’m used to it. I could make it so every time you posted you got sent $10 and there would be a loud vocal faction who hate everything about it. I’ve learned not to worry about initial reaction to any change, and wait for things to settle. :)

I am willing to beta test this feature. ;)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
[MENTION=6780961]Yunru[/MENTION] is right. I care about two kinds of posts:
- relevant to 5E
- relevant to all editions of D&D

However, there's currently no filter that shows me what I want. I need to either open the forum twice, or "filter with my eyeballs." I'd love it if tags were mandatory, and there were a viewing mode that showed both threads tagged with 5E and threads tagged with "All Editions." The best UI would be to make the filter selection check-boxes and I can include the editions I want. But now I'm just dreaming.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So far I don't mind this change.

The problem with forced tagging is that sometimes questions asked* or discussions raised regarding one D&D edition either already have an answer in another or are applicable to more than just that one edition even if the OP doesn't realize it and-or only cares about one.

* - with the exception of specific rules questions; "rules" maybe should have its own sub-forum inside D&D with tagging mandatory in that sub-forum only.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
From the man himself:

Well I am worried that a lot of really awesome D&D articles on older D&D articles will be buried under pathfinder/starfinder as they are not moved over to the D&D forum. I do no think that more than 20-30% of the 1.4 million posts in there is really about pathfinder or starfinder.
Would have made more sense to have those sorted out and moved to a new forum and then renamed the remaining to "Older D&D editions".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases