Is Thread Necromancy Ok?

Do you like Thread Necromancy?

Len

Prodigal Member
I have to say, it's amusing to come back to the site after a twelve-year hiatus and see a thread with the you-have-posted-to-this-thread icon.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If a forum does not want threads to be risen from the dead, can't they just set them to lock/close after a period of inactivity.

I've never understood why some see it as an offense of netiquette.

Actually, in most forums I participate in, the opposite is true. I'll be in a hurry and either I'm lazy or my forum-search-fu fails me and I post something only be chided that a thread on the topic already exists.

The poll needs a new option: better to necro than to clone

CapnZapp

Legend
If a forum does not want threads to be risen from the dead, can't they just set them to lock/close after a period of inactivity.
Yes, but that requires more work than just telling people not to respond to threads below that threshold.

I've never understood why some see it as an offense of netiquette.
Just a gentle reminder it is not actually forbidden here. Maybe ask over at GITP where it actually is.

(I don't mean to suggest you should question their policies since that's likely only going to get you banned. Maybe if you ask about the history of said policy, though: what led up to the decision to infract thread necromancy. Something other users might be able to answer, rather than involving the site's mod team)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases