Magic Items Preference: flavor, or mechanical bonus?

Flavor or mechanical?

• Flavor! Inspire the TotM

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Give me the bonuses!

Votes: 19 50.0%

Len

Prodigal Member
I picked the bonuses because bonuses always make my character more awesome and more likely to survive. But an item with a bonus and flavour is better, and the best are the ones that have a bonus and a story specifically related to my character.

Same. Even a simple +1 longsword becomes that much cooler when you describe it as being made from a single bone and that you hear whispers when you draw it. Even if it doesn't have a mechanical effect, it comes to life that much more vividly in the player's head.

Can't vote...usually create both.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Can't vote...usually create both.

I'm not saying that they are mutually exclusive, but which of the two sounds better to you. An item that primarily is mechanically influential, or an item that might have creative properties that don't necessarily affect die rolls.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Without info on the DM or campaign - I'd take the +1 item.

If i knew the DM would (or allow me to) add to the fun of the game with the "flavor" item then possibly the flavor item.

But usually, I like unstated option 3 - Flavorful mechanically beneficial perks that aren't pluses.

For example - the group found a cache of adamantine weapons and armor - no pluses but lots of perks.

The ranger in the group has a set of short swords that allows him to shift his bonus action attack (from 2 weapon fighting) to his regular attack routine - thereby freeing up his bonus action for other stuff.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Preference question, and no wrong answer. In your games, do you prefer magic items to add flavor to the game, or do you prefer magic items that offer mechanical bonuses.

For example, what sounds like it would add more fun to your game, getting a +1 sword, or getting a sword that illuminated upon command with the brightness of a torch. Would you prefer a suit of +1 armor, or armor that never needed repair and was always gleaming?
I voted flavor, but what I really meant was utility. I mean, I have to choose between a sword +1 and a sword that .... glows? Really? I hope that's not the kind of BS magic items that people associate with "flavor item". Do I want the sword that's actually useful or do I want the sword that mimics the cantrip that every caster already has?

The best magic items provide flavor by giving the character different capacities than they already have, or might ever have access to. Decanter of endless water is awesome. Rod of immovability. Cube of force. Ring of X-ray vision. Figurine of Wondrous Power. That's the fun stuff, right there.

Choosing between a sword +1 and a sword that's also a torch isn't that fun; choosing between the sword +1 and a sword that grants you the appearance of the last person the sword has killed is a much more compelling choice.

G

Guest 6801328

There's something in between a numerical bonus and pure flavor. I like magic items that do something mechanically beneficial other than have a straight +1/+2/+3 bonus. (Well, ok, I don't mind also getting some bonuses...)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Choosing between a sword +1 and a sword that's also a torch isn't that fun; choosing between the sword +1 and a sword that grants you the appearance of the last person the sword has killed is a much more compelling choice.

YOINK

I was looking for a fun item for the villain in the next session - and that's perfect - thank you!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I prefer to make generic +X bonuses the domain of masterwork quality, while magic should always grant a weapon some property. That +1 Flametongue is +1 because it’s well-made, and does fire damage and sheds light like a torch because it is imbued with Fire magic. That +3 Holy Avenger is +3 because it was forged from unobtanium by the faith’s most talented swordsmith, but deals extra damage to undead and gives off an aura of advantage on saves vs spells because of the divine blessing that was placed on it by the faith’s highest priest.

Remove ads