GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I nod in understanding, "Very well. Thank you for all of your assistance, it is greatly appreciated. Will you be following up on this information with the proper authorities, or should we? Your generosity is greatly appreciated and that is more than a fair price for those gems, considering everything you have done to aid us."

When we get back to the inn and meet with the others, we share with them what occurred at Laramon's.

"Laramon has discovered that the 'Elf Ear Stew Recipe' was actually a secret missive from, and I quote, 'His Most Fearsome Presence, the High Warlord Gurrok Mak, son of Turrosh Mak, True Herald of Gruumsh, Slayer of False Orcs, Harbinger of Doom, Leader of the Orcs of the Pomarj Empire' to 'His Most Cruel Excellency, Tharvok Bloodmoon, High Chancellor of the Orcreich.' In it, Gurrok Mak claims to be the chosen of Gruumsh because he wields the Bloodspear, which is apparently the symbol of Gruumsh's favor. Gurrok Mak seeks to have Tharvok Bloodmoon help him purify their race, erase Marek from their heritage, and attack a plethora of lands currently held by humans."

Looking to Kasnik, I ask, "I have a question for after I'm finished relaying all of this - who is Marek?"

Clearing my throat, I continue, "Mak wants Bloodmoon to destroy the Human kingdom of Perrenland. They will then converge upon Veluna; Bloodmoon from the North and Mak from the South. They will then push into Furyondy before going after the rest of the Western Flanaess."

"The recipe scroll is actually enchanted to take Bloodmoon to Mak's presence. If Bloodmoon swears allegiance, Mak will present to him a ring of power. They plan on using mystical gateways to enable their armies to cross great distances unimpeded."

"Laramon would like us to return to him on the 28th of Patchwall... apparently he wants us to steal the Bloodspear from Gurrok Mak." Looking to Respen I ask, "Did I forget anything?"

"That brings me to the items we have acquired. I will go about securing the sale of those left unclaimed, and split the funds accordingly. If no one desires anything else, I will see to it immediately and meet you all back at my manor. Would someone please show our latest compatriots the way to it so they don't get lost? Oh, also - do you each want to keep your venison, or may I donate the remaining amount to a local pantry for the poor?"

[sblock=List of items to be sold/split]
Keeping for group use:
- 2 waterskins (always handy).
- 50 ft. of silk rope (we already know there's a well in the forest we will have to go down).
- 3 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds (just in case).
- Ring of Feather Falling - 2,200 gp. Tied to some fishing line, this might actually be useful to keep since multiple people could use it to get down from a height safely. If you disagree, say the word and we'll sell it though.

Current money to be split:
- 322 sp.
- 847 gp + 3,120 gp (gems sold to Laramon), total 3967 gp.
- 1,527 pp.

Items claimed (will only count 50% of listed price against balances:
- 48 manticore spikes - Lathir claimed share or all (speak up if you want some). I will take some as a souvenir.
- Composite Longbow - 100 gp - Sylvar claimed.
- 3 Vials of Carrion Crawler brain juice poison - 140 gp/vial, 420 gp total - Respen claimed.
- Hat of Disguise - 1,800 gp - Respen claimed.
- Belt of Dexterity +2 - 4,000 gp - Lathir claimed.
- Ring of Protection +2 - 6,000 gp (normally 8,000 gp, but Lathir traded in his Ring of Protection +1 to reduce the difference) - Lathir claimed.
- Major Cloak of Displacement - 50,000 gp - Sylvar claimed.

Items not claimed (will get 50% listed from selling them):
- Dagger - 2 gp.
- Shortsword - 10 gp.
- Greatsword - 50 gp.
- 2 Chain Shirts - 100 gp each, 200 gp total.
- 3 Potions of Bear's Endurance - 300 gp each, 900 gp total.
- Masterwork Dagger - 302 gp.
- 3 Masterwork Throwing Axes - 308 gp each, 924 gp total.
- Masterwork Quarterstaff - 600 gp.
- 3 Potions of Heroism - 750 gp each, 2,250 gp total.
- Cloak of Resistance +1 - 1,000 gp.
- 2 Rings of Protection +1 - 2,000 gp each, 4,000 gp total.
- Full Plate Armor +1 - 2,650 gp.
- Belt of Giant Strength +2 - 4,000 gp.
- Mithral Heavy Shield +2 - 5,020 gp.
- Guantlet of Rust - 11,500 gp.
- Unholy Flail +1 - 18,308 gp.
- Ring of Heroic Athleticism (+10 to Climb, Jump, & Swim) - 35,000 gp.
[/sblock]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
A quick side note...

AT LARAMON'S TOWER:

Dewydd said:
"Will you be following up on this information with the proper authorities, or should we?"

Tulane smiles, and says, "It already HAS been reported to the authorities, because I was standing right here the whole time, remember?" Tulane gives a hearty laugh.

LATER, AT THE INN:

Dewydd said:
"Laramon would like us to return to him on the 28th of Patchwall..."

Vega nods. "That should give us enough time to deal with our original goal of investigating Skorane Village."

Diarmadhim

Explorer
While at the inn, I hand Lathir: 45 Manticore Spikes, the Belt of Dexterity +2, and Ring of Protection +2 (taking the Ring of Protection +1 from him).

Sylvar receives: a Composite Longbow, Belt of Giant Strength +2, and the Major Cloak of Displacement.

Respen is given the 3 Vials of Carrion Crawler Brain Juice Poison, a Masterwork Dagger, a Masterwork Quarterstaff, a Cloak of Resistance +1, a Hat of Disguise, and a Ring of Protection +1.

I then say my goodbyes and set off to sell the items. "I will meet you all back at Moresby Hall later tonight."

After a full day of haggling, I return to Moresby Hall. "Well that was entertaining!" I exclaim as I walk through the door just in time for dinner.

I then make my way to the table and pass out sacks of money accordingly.
Kasnik, Vale, and Vega are each given a sack weighing 22 lbs. "Here you are, lady and gentlemen. Each of your shares consists of 1,094 citadels and 7 wagons."
[sblock=Translation]1,094 pp and 7 sp.[/sblock]

To Respen, I hand a sack that weighs nearly 10 lbs. "To you, Respen, goes 481 citadels, 8 wheatsheafs, and 7 wagons."
[sblock=Translation]481 pp, 8 gp, and 7 sp.[/sblock]

The sack presented to Lathir weighs 2 lbs. "You sir, have 94 citadels and 7 wagons."
[sblock=Translation]94 pp and 7 sp.[/sblock]

"Think of yourself not as empty-handed, friend Sylvar. You have claimed some invaluable items indeed! A few more hauls like that last one and you will quickly find yourself with wealth to spend!" To Sylvar I hand a note with the numbers -54,100 + 10,940.7 = -43,159.3 written upon it.

OOC: So, we had 19,269.2 gp in money (before I made an error and didn't click the 0 for converting pp to gp). The sold goods got us 30,253 gp more, for a new total of 49,522.2 gp to be split (I tossed a few of my gold into the pot to overcompensate for any potential rounding issues).

Sylvar's claimed items equaled out to 54,100 gp so I didn't include him in the formula. We know he will have to sit out of the loot for a bit until everyone else has caught up monetarily. Respen's claimed items equaled 6,122 gp and Lathir's equaled 10,000 gp. Kasnik, Vale, Vega, and I did not claim any items.

4n + (n - 6,122) + (n - 10,000) = 49,522.2
n = 10,940.7
(n - 6,122) = 4,818.7
(n - 10,000) = 940.7

Please let me know if you see any errors!

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
While at the inn, I hand Lathir: 45 Manticore Spikes, the Belt of Dexterity +2, and Ring of Protection +2 (taking the Ring of Protection +1 from him).
Lathir takes the items, handing over his own ring. He places the ring on his finger and fastens the belt around his waist.
Thank you. Moresby Hall later tonight it is. I am off in search of a tailor. I wish to add these manticore spikes to my tunic.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar inclines his head and takes the note from Dewydd. It is as you say, I am most fortunate. In my spare time I have been studying and training to increase my speed and lethality in battle. I feel that I am on the verge of a great personal breakthrough that will surprise even me. The cloak and belt will help me achieve my goals. In time I may be known as Sylvar the Swift.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: Here's the post I was going to make yesterday, before becoming distracted by real-life issues of greater importance.

Dewydd said:
Items not claimed (will get 50% listed from selling them):

- Unholy Flail +1 - 18,308 gp.

GM:

This flail is consecrated to an evil deity; any cleric (i.e., any of the deity's followers) wanting to find it can do so quite easily, with Augury, Locate Object, and Commune spells. Simply selling it is NOT an option, at least not for good-aligned characters who have a sense of responsibility and moral obligation not to put innocent bystanders in harm's way by selling the thing on the general market.

HOWEVER, if the party takes this thing to a good temple, and allows the high priest to destroy it, such an act will allow the party to SPLIT an experience amount equal to the item's market value in gold pieces; i.e., for an 18,308 gp. item, 7 party members would each get (18,308 / 7 =) 2,615 xp.pts.

Something to think about :D

MacConnell

GM: This flail is consecrated to an evil deity; any cleric (i.e., any of the deity's followers) wanting to find it can do so quite easily, with Augury, Locate Object, and Commune spells. Simply selling it is NOT an option, at least not for good-aligned characters who have a sense of responsibility and moral obligation not to put innocent bystanders in harm's way by selling the thing on the general market.

HOWEVER, if the party takes this thing to a good temple, and allows the high priest to destroy it, such an act will allow the party to SPLIT an experience amount equal to the item's market value in gold pieces; i.e., for an 18,308 gp. item, 7 party members would each get (18,308 / 7 =) 2,615 xp.pts.

Something to think about :D
Lathir pauses on his way out the door.
I am simply heading to find a tailor and have no pressing business. I would gladly take that evil weapon to rid the world of it at a benevolent temple. Would anyone care to accompany me?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Just a quick DM Note: Kasnik has requested that his character be "parked" in Dyvers for the time being, while he takes care of real-life priorities.

Kasnik is still eligible for a full share of loot from the current amount being split. Since he is parked, he will not be able to claim items. Only money.

I am assuming that he is staying at Moresby Hall, unless Dewydd has reasons not to.

Kasnik simply states that he'd like to take some time off, to reflect, in meditation and prayer.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Moving The Campaign Forward...

The party spends the rest of the afternoon (Patchwall 13th) visiting various shops, selling excess equipment, and dividing the shares of the proceeds. By the time this is done, it is 5:30 pm.

The party takes the flail to the Temple of Odin, because the priests there are known to be bitter foes of Hextor, and are known to have destroyed several consecrated items like this in the past. It takes about an hour to perform the ceremony, at the end of which, a scroll is read, which causes the flail to disintegrate in a blinding flash of blue light. The ceremony concludes at 6:35 pm, and a feast is held in the temple's mead hall, in the party's honor, which lasts until 9 pm.

GM:
Each member of the party earns 2,615 experience points!

Despite going to bed a little late (9:30 pm, by the time everyone is settled in) the next day starts bright and early, allowing the party no time for dilly dallying.

GM:
The party spends the night at the inn.

The new day is Patchwall 14, CY 963:

Everyone wakes up at 6:30 am.
Everyone is bathed, groomed, and dressed by 7:30 am.
Breakfast is served between 7:30 am and 8:30 am.
The party members who need to are now able to retire to their rooms, for study and prayers.
Spells are regained by 9:30 am. [Everyone should take this opportunity to adjust and/or update your spell lists, as needed.]

@Aust Thale
DM's NOTE:Vale, before turning in last night, you talked with the bartender downstairs, and he told you that there is a Dwarven Shrine in the Royal Grounds district, near the Mayor's Tower. He says that the shrine is run by three Dwarven priests, one of whom is a High Priest of Moradin. The shrine would be an excellent place to pray in general, and they may even have trinkets for sale that would aid against undead. It's probably worth checking out.

Respen, you have a hunch that you may be able to acquire the scrolls and alchemical equipment that you need from Laramon, and possibly even at a discount, since he has agreed to accept you as an apprentice!

@Diarmadhim
DM's NOTE: Dewydd, it occurs to you that the party is very well off, currently, in the way of cash reserves. It might not be a bad idea to visit The Dog and Hammer, to see if there are any weapons available which are forged from special metals (cold iron, silver, mithral, etc.) which might aid you against the undead.

EVERYONE: It's the sunny morning of a brand new day! What do you do?

MacConnell

During the general conversations at the breakfast table, Lathir mentions a particular need to gather party insight to the situation.
As I have been traveling with you for some time now, I have never mentioned much of my past. Part of that is why I separated myself from society for a time. That is immaterial now. The point being that I am woefully ill equipped to combat undead. Though I have some druidic skill and can shift, I fear these will not be adecuate to deal with such a threat. Specifically, I carry only mundane weaponry, and feel it would benefit this group as a whole were I to be able to acquire something more appropriate.

Any suggestion
?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases