D&D 5E Anyone used the chase rules in the DMG yet?

JeffB

Legend
They look pretty straightforward, but wondering about experiences/pitfalls(npi)/things to be aware of that may not seem obvious to my addled mind.

pukunui

Legend
Thanks for the tip. Anything in particular that bugged you about the DMG version?
We found it to be not as intuitive as it seemed, and it didn't satisfactorily address the stop/start nature of turn-based chase scenes.

The chase rules in "Cloaks & Shadows" use an abstract mechanic to determine the distance between the hunters and their quarry, which I found makes for a better flow. If you'd like, I can share with you the chase scene I developed for one of my own games using these rules.

JeffB

Legend
[MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION] Sure, if it's no trouble. Whenever you get time! Thanks :)

I was thinking of adapting some sort of range band thing (abstract, ala 13A/FFG SW) but then remembered the 5e DMG had its own version in the back

pukunui

Legend
I just remembered that I posted them here once before. I'll just copy and paste from that thread ...

Here you go!

CHASING THE RAM!
The ram uses the hilly terrain to its advantage, bounding up steep slopes and leaping over streams and chasms. Strictly adhering to the movement rules won't make for a fun chase. Instead, use the following guidelines to manage the action:
  • Track the distances between the ram and each pursuer in five steps: adjacent, close, medium, far, and extreme.
  • Each participant in the chase makes a DC 10 Con or Str (Athletics) check at the end of its turn to stay in the chase.
  • On a failure, a pursuer moves backwards one step, dropping out of the chase altogether if they fall beyond extreme range. If the ram fails its check, all pursuers move one step closer.
  • On a success of 15 or higher, a pursuer moves one step closer. If the ram scores 15 or higher, all pursuers fall back one step.
  • All participants can take an action on their turn to attack or cast a spell, but doing so counts as an automatic failure on their Str check.
  • Each participant in the chase rolls on the chase complications table at the end of their turn. Complications affect the next participant in the initiative order, not the participant who rolled. Either participant may spend inspiration to negate the result.
IIRC, the players struggled a bit with the abstract distance categories, so I ruled that if you wanted to make a melee attack, you had to be in the same zone as the quarry, whereas if you wanted to make a ranged attack (and this included spells), you had to be in the same zone or an adjacent zone.

And here's the modified chase complications table.
WILDERNESS CHASE COMPLICATIONS
1d20 Complication
  1. Your path takes you into a rough patch of brush. Make a DC 10 Str (Athletics) or Dex (Acrobatics) check to get through the brush. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  2. Uneven ground threatens to slow your progress. Make a DC 10 Dex (Acrobatics) check to navigate the area. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  3. You run through a swarm of wasps. The swarm makes an opp attack against you [+3 to hit; 10 (4d4) piercing dmg].
  4. A stream, ravine, or rock bed blocks your path. Make a DC 10 Str (Athletics) or Dex (Acrobatics) check to cross the impediment. On a failed check, drop back one step in the chase.
  5. A sudden gust of wind catches you. Make a DC 10 Con save to move forward one step in the chase. On a failed save, drop back one step.
  6. A sudden drop catches you by surprise. Make a DC 10 Dex save to avoid falling. On a failed save, you fall 1d4 x 5 feet, taking 1d6 bludgeoning dmg per 10 feet fallen as normal, and you drop back one step in the chase.
  7. Lose sight of the quarry! Make a DC 15 Wis (Perception) check. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  8. You are caught in a stampede of spooked sheep. Make a DC 10 Dex save to avoid getting knocked about. On a failed save, you take 5 (2d4) bludgeoning dmg and drop back one step in the chase.
  9. Your path takes you near a patch of razorvine. Make a DC 15 Dex save to avoid the razorvine. On a failed save, you take 5 (1d10) slashing dmg.
  10. A hungry wyvern joins the chase! Each time this result is rolled after the first, the wyvern makes an opp attack against an adjacent target with its claws (75%) or its stinger (25%).
11-20 No complication.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
Thats some very good chase rules. I'll try using them next time my PCs have to try to catch something.

I really like the way the complications work - having a player roll, and being able to use Inspiration to negate are very nice touches.

I'll have to play around with them a bit. My PCs tend to spend a lot of time on Horseback.

JeffB

Legend
I just remembered that I posted them here once before. I'll just copy and paste from that thread ...

Here you go!

IIRC, the players struggled a bit with the abstract distance categories, so I ruled that if you wanted to make a melee attack, you had to be in the same zone as the quarry, whereas if you wanted to make a ranged attack (and this included spells), you had to be in the same zone or an adjacent zone.

And here's the modified chase complications table.

Awesome. Thanks. Easy peasy, and the crew are used to the abstract ranging so should be cool with it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
[MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION] how would you handle a chase with something perhaps faster or slower than your goat example?

Raise or lower the str DC to emulate how hard it would be to catch said creature?

I.e. DC 15, supreme effort needed to catch creature before "its outta here"?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases