AI Creates New D&D Monsters

This has been doing the rounds recently - Janelle Shane, a scientist who works with artificial intelligence, programmed a neural network to produce new D&D monsters based on a list of over 2,000 creatures from an old Monster Manual. welcome to the Spectral Slug, Desert Beeple, Purple Fang Dragon, and many more!

This has been doing the rounds recently - Janelle Shane, a scientist who works with artificial intelligence, programmed a neural network to produce new D&D monsters based on a list of over 2,000 creatures from an old Monster Manual. welcome to the Spectral Slug, Desert Beeple, Purple Fang Dragon, and many more!

tumblr_inline_p61sw8dQ7Z1rl9zu7_1280.png

You can view the whole list here.

I'm a fan of the Fumble Unicorn, Burglestar, Spider Brain Horse, and the Chromatic Wolf.

Shane previously used the same AI to produce 265 spell names, which included such classics as barking sphere, hold mouse, and vicious markers and a second experiment which produced an even better set.

She is now crowdsourcing a data set to do the same for character names.

MarkB

Legend
I liked "Unicorn, Sith Sheet". Ditch the 'sheet' part, but I get a great image of a black-coated unicorn with a cybernetic faceplate, and a red lightsaber for a horn.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
G

T

F

O

This is the only monster manual I will ever use, from now on. On a more serious note, what, is Janelle trying to put game designers out of business?

PS - Morrus left out an important word. "To produce new D&D monster names."But since one of those names is "Marraganralleraith," it's still priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
It was a matter of time before the ML crowd was going to start doing stuff like this.

On the note about game designers by [MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION], Yes, even now it should be entirely possible to code desired "game balance" and prevent designers from doing broken things. Whatever "game balance" is though needs to have some clearly defined rules and the fewer of them, the better.

I'm in favor of this as it would completely eliminate fanboy-ism or nostalgia from builds. In my opinion, the root cause of much of what is considered broken.

But again, simulationist and math nerd behind this post.

Be well
KB

I'm in favor of this as it would completely eliminate fanboy-ism or nostalgia from builds. In my opinion, the root cause of much of what is considered broken...

And yet that is one of the things that makes RPGing a distinctly human past time. I don't think I want some vat-grown, antiseptic AI rule set with a bizarre, non-organic, uncanny valley feel to its' structure. I'll take human faults and predilections over code spawned 'perfection' any day.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
And yet that is one of the things that makes RPGing a distinctly human past time. I don't think I want some vat-grown, antiseptic AI rule set with a bizarre, non-organic, uncanny valley feel to its' structure. I'll take human faults and predilections over code spawned 'perfection' any day.

I will agree with you that I prefer humanity over antiseptic.

Where we'll diverge are these points:
1. No game designer wants imbalance across their system so having the ML code edit or check them is a good thing.
2. I would prefer any broken things to happen because of my human flaws when I house rule things, rather than someone else's human flaws who I may not have visibility to or care for.

I prefer my perfect over someone else's perfect when I'm running my games. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

I will agree with you that I prefer humanity over antiseptic.

Where we'll diverge are these points:
1. No game designer wants imbalance across their system so having the ML code edit or check them is a good thing.
2. I would prefer any broken things to happen because of my human flaws when I house rule things, rather than someone else's human flaws who I may not have visibility to or care for.

I prefer my perfect over someone else's perfect when I'm running my games. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

Depends on the imbalance. If a balanced system provided outcomes that were too predictable or conformal, you would have a system more akin to a board game than an RPG. RPGs are purposely subjective and messy as they need to represent outcomes in a world full of strange, interacting variables that also satisfy players' desire for action and drama. I agree that perfection is not a target that can be hit in this case.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Depends on the imbalance. If a balanced system provided outcomes that were too predictable or conformal, you would have a system more akin to a board game than an RPG. RPGs are purposely subjective and messy as they need to represent outcomes in a world full of strange, interacting variables that also satisfy players' desire for action and drama. I agree that perfection is not a target that can be hit in this case.

Subjective and messy when it comes to some things is perfectly fine.
Subjective and messy when it comes to character builds and utility is not.

My basic opinion is that "subjective and messy" should be coming from the table group and DM more than 75% of the time and the designers less than 25% of the time (I'd prefer less than 10%). Especially when there could be tools that could make the designers better at achieving their own goals and creating more diversity in core games systems on the market as a result.

2c.
KB

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads