What is *worldbuilding* for?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You might as well ask why GMs in 'classic' D&D don't just make ridiculous and impossible adventures all the time.
They don't?

Now there's a memo I never got... :)

I think this is going back in the direction of mixing classical game logic with narrativist ideas and things aren't coherent. In classical play your observation is entirely cogent. In standard narrative model it doesn't make much sense. I mean, if the players jumped down, then they had SOME reason, right? I mean, why are they here to begin with? What do they WANT? I would make something happen that was related to the story and the characters. Maybe there's a way out, maybe someone can get back out.

I mean, what did you do? "OK, TPK, everyone roll up a new character!"? I mean, that's warranted, in a Gygaxian sense, and perfectly OK. It just doesn't serve narrativist ends and wouldn't happen in that sort of game. Nobody would frame a scene with that element in it which would produce that result.
So in narrativist play players/PCs are never given the chance to do something TPK-level stupid and-or TPK-level unlucky? Sounds a bit dull... :)

Who knows what reasons they might have had for jumping down. At the time it might have made perfect sense...well, other than the forgetting-the-rope part...to escape from something or because it was the only obvious way to proceed or simply because they were all just really thirsty! The fact is, down they went. [later note: then saw [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] 's write-up a few posts down from the one I quoted, which explains the scenario]

Lanefan

Sadras

Legend
Several years ago myself and some other people I play with often decided we wanted to create a story game about Arthurian Knights (except we didn't actually set it in England, we made up a fantasy sort of pseudo France). Anyway, we all agreed on the genre, some plot elements which could be used, selected a mechanics to use, and characters were created with back stories appropriate to the genre and referencing some of the pre-generated 'stuff'.

Now, I ended up GMing this, so I added a bunch of added 'things' in the course of scene framing. These included a child, a tower, a battle on a bridge with a black knight, a tournament, a plot to kill an important NPC, a giant, etc. A lot of stuff really.

The players also invented a lot of stuff related to their characters. They invented followers, a way to dispatch the giant, a way in and out of the tower, etc. Honestly I'm not as systematic as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] in terms of remembering who did what, but we all had a good amount of input.

I would call this typical for MY games. GM is important, but the whole game is an outgrowth of what all the participants were interested in doing.

I do not play Story Now/No Myth games but you have just described one of my games. That is why I think [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] is quite right when he says he plays a variation of both, sometimes switching between the two styles unconsciously and even within a period of just a few minutes.

This below quote from [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] really concludes the railroad discussion for me.

(snip)...under Story Now, the example would be a railroad because it's the GM overriding the play procedures to abridge player agency (as allowed by the system) and enforce the GM's preferred outcome... (snip)... the playstyles differ enough in core assumptions that maybe you cannot use the same metrics to analyze them both.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Well, I think the OP just asked "in light of story now, what is the purpose of 'prep'"? I don't read it as a misreading of classical play, it is simply positing story now as the technique under discussion. Honestly, I think ALL of the discussion of classical play and the differences, etc. was thread derailment! It was NEVER RELEVANT AT ALL to what was supposedly to be discussed.

Yeah, I think its a matter of system and details of the situation. The GM would be perfectly justified, in some cases, to say "No, we already established that this is an airless moon, you can't breath here." I don't think anyone would argue with that unless it was a fantasy game where reality is subjective... or something. Another case would be the secret door, someone could come back later and find that there was indeed a secret door! This would of course require that the fiction never really ruled it out, so I guess its not quite a fair example.
Having recently reread the OP,ost I can affirmatively say that the question was not, in any way, limited to Story Now implicitly or explicitly. And, the discussion, right from the start, involved the OPoster evaluating traditional play's use of worldbuilding using a Story Now lens. The behavior was on both sides.

And I've called out both sides repeatedly, so I'm not trying to hypocritically defend either.

Nagol

Unimportant
And this is exactly the nut of the whole thing, and where the 'traditionalist' analysis sinks into the swamp, falls over, and burns (before being rebuilt for the 2078th time). The idea that the players "will just find secret doors everywhere" or that things will be 'too easy', or that the players will [violate the Czege Principle], etc. is all based on a fundamentally oppositional model of play. One in which the GM has hidden the 'goodies' in the 'maze' and its the player's job to guide their characters to it.

Once the goal became to have fun playing the game and making up cool stories about the characters, etc. then all that went basically out the window. It is still possible to engage in it as a specific facet of a greater whole, but its not THE GAME anymore.

Now, some will contend that they're playing to 'explore', but the model is the same here, the GM has the 'gold' and the players are tasked with navigating the 'maze' to uncover it. The walls and traps of the dungeon maze may be replaced with other stuff, but they still remain.

Finally, you can claim to have gone entirely beyond that by saying "well, the players just come to me and tell me what their PC wants to do (in or out of character) and we work on that", but then we come back to the OP of the thread, what's the world building/details FOR?

I think the ONLY actual solid answer to that which ever came in this thread (and honestly, maybe it was the other thread, forgive me, was the one where [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] quoted one of the Story Now guys stating that you CAN have a 'built world', and it has utility in fixing genre and providing some footing for the players to leverage their character's traits into concrete action.

There's no Schrodinger's Door if there's no concept of an ESTABLISHED fictional reality outside of what has been presented to the characters. This is something I maintain as a principle of play in games of the type I run, ONLY what has been presented in play exists, all else is vapor until you meet it. That wall didn't exist until we laid eyes on it, so who's to say it didn't 'always have a secret door in it'???

Those who have little use for worldbuilding seem to believe their opinions are reflective of others. They're not. No one's opinion is.

What's worldbuilding for? Engaging me. Without worldbuilding, I don't have anywhere near as much fun as a player because I can no longer engage in those activities I like doing.

I LIKE to plan; planning requires defining situations rigorously enough that one can discover them and create approaches, mitigations, and remedies. I LIKE to explore to collect of the information and resource necessary for creating and executing the plan. I LIKE coasting to victory -- it means I planned and executed well. Given an opportunity, I probably wouldn't give a thought about violating the Czege Principle because it increases my chance of success.

In effect, I LIKE " the GM has the 'gold' and the players are tasked with navigating the 'maze' to uncover it." as a style of play.

Another issue I have with playing player-facing games is my definition of an appropriate cool story is usually strongly at odds with the majority. I just 'think different' so I find having a single vision controlling genre and themes tends to make the whole far more consistent and increases my comfort level dramatically since I can more quickly learn how the world works.

Now as a GM, things are quite different. I like running a mixture of DM-facing and player-facing games. They really do different things and although the tales recounted away from the table may sound similar, the actual table experience is quite different for the participants. I pick a DM-facing game when I want a DM-facing experience, especially if I want a heavy exploration focus or uncaring world themes (D&D, X-Files, asymmetrical warfare engagements, post-apocalyptic, i.e. hard-scrabble styles), and pick a player-facing game when I want a more solipsistic/constant pressure engagement (hero/superhero, film noir, i.e. "cinematic" styles).

pemerton

Legend
in terms of the Story Now approach of searching for a secret door, that the check itself is (at least partially) responsible for determining whether a secret door is found - what consideration is made, and how, that a secret door may not belong there?

While we explored this a bit with more absurd examples (the paladin declaring they find a holy sword at the market), why should the secret door be there? What if it shouldn't (logically speaking)?
GIven the places I've seen secret doors in published modules, I'm not sure what would count as a bare stone wall in a D&D-style dungeon or fortress where it would be illogical for a secret door to appear!

In a sense we're only arguing here about the DETAILS of the fiction, because EVERY narrative model game is going to have this character, the players declare actions to advance their agendas. Since it doesn't actually matter MECHANICALLY what those actions are (modulus which skill/power/whatever you get to use due to fictional reasons), the ONLY actual considerations are aesthetic! So it makes no sense for the players to declare dumb things, they are just as well off to declare cool things!
What you say here is (in my view) absolutely correct for Cortex+ Heroic, 4e, HeroQuest revised, or any other system in which DCs are "subjective" ie based on pacing and similar considerations.

In the context of an "objective" DC system (eg Burning Wheel, Classic Traveller, I think 5e by deffault), the players do have an incentive to identify an approach with a low DC. Relating this to [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION]'s question above, if a secret door seems unlikely in some place, that would increase the DC.

A related thing is the continued (seeming) insistence that with a prepared map or notes that it is impossible for the DM to make changes. This is simply not true. There's no reason why, if a player decided to search for a secret door, that I can't decide that one might be present, and even in that moment make the decision that the dice will decide and allow them to make a check.
I'm certainly not insisting on this. Many many posts (over 1000) upthread, this was discussed at some length.

From my point of view, it doesn't meaningfully change the distribution of agency over the content of the shared fiction for the chance of success to depend on the GM "allowing" the check to have a chance of success.

the general thrust of everything is exploration. Exploring the setting. Exploring the characters. Exploring the politics, the dangers, dungeons, and such. Learning what makes these characters tick. Dramatic conflict is a part of what we do, but only part of it.

<snip>

I don't see my job as being here to help set up the circumstances that allow the characters to accomplish their motivations. That's up to them. If one of the characters declares that they intend to become a famous dragonslayer, then they need to go do it. Not rely on me to set that up for them. They have to acquire the skills they think they'll need. Assemble the party that will help them do so, research the weaknesses, possible locations, etc. They'll track down spells or magic items that they think will help, and drive toward that goal.
A lot of what you describe here seems to involve the players learning what the GM has decided (either in advance, or on the spot) exists in the gameworld.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
GIven the places I've seen secret doors in published modules, I'm not sure what would count as a bare stone wall in a D&D-style dungeon or fortress where it would be illogical for a secret door to appear!

What you say here is (in my view) absolutely correct for Cortex+ Heroic, 4e, HeroQuest revised, or any other system in which DCs are "subjective" ie based on pacing and similar considerations.

In the context of an "objective" DC system (eg Burning Wheel, Classic Traveller, I think 5e by deffault), the players do have an incentive to identify an approach with a low DC. Relating this to [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION]'s question above, if a secret door seems unlikely in some place, that would increase the DC.

I'm certainly not insisting on this. Many many posts (over 1000) upthread, this was discussed at some length.

From my point of view, it doesn't meaningfully change the distribution of agency over the content of the shared fiction for the chance of success to depend on the GM "allowing" the check to have a chance of success.

A lot of what you describe here seems to involve the players learning what the GM has decided (either in advance, or on the spot) exists in the gameworld.

First, I don’t subscribe to the general approach that many adventure designers go about their business. I often disagree with their approach to placement of secret doors for the same logical reason I’m questioning the ability of a Story Now approach to take into account. Many adventures, etc. are designed from a “game” approach, where the nature of what the designer might be cool takes precedence over what might logically apply. As I’ve stated before, I prefer to approach it from a more objective, world-building approach asking why a secret door would be someplace. Who built it and why, basically, not just because I think it would fit, or I want to make the dungeon less linear, or that it would work well here for the story of the PCs rather than the story of whoever built the place.

I feel the same way about the design and placement of most traps, and definitely in regards to puzzles.

I say “seemingly” because you state that you don’t insist, but then immediately respond with two paragraphs that say exactly what I’m saying you seem to insist.

I disagree with both statements. Because again, until the play occurs at the table, the placement of a secret door remains in question. The only real difference is that I’m leaning toward consistency and an internal logic within the setting vs. leaning towards something that might stretch the bounds of believability a bit (or a lot) for the sake of a dramatic moment. A sort of quality control that hopefully maintains an internal consistency. Not necessarily to inject my ideas, although that will happen as well.

The reality is that I do both. Where I believe we differ is that I believe that both have value within the context of the game, and as the GM I start from a place of impartial observer and prefer to let the drama take care of itself, driven by the players and their characters and their interactions, which will include interactions with the world around them. Where you seem to eschew the less dramatic, more mundane things, the in-between things, with the focus of the GM on ensuring that more drama happens. That is, if drama isn’t happening, then it’s the job of the GM to find the drama and make it happen.

From my perspective, it’s once again a question of goals. While I’d like to think that any game system can support both, it continues to appear that a Story Now approach does not or at least discourages it. Perhaps strongly.

During the course of the game, I prefer to limit my dramatic input to the really big moments. Something that really dramatically alters the character’s situation. They might be predetermined secrets or something that occurs in the moment, a reaction to the PCs at that point in time.

Outside of those moments, I like to allow the players and the game drive the dramatic moments.

I’d equate it to many TV dramas where most episodes are typical adventures. For example, the Mentalist where an episode is usually exploring the day-to-day aspects of their lives, mostly in regards to their profession, where the drama is between the PCs and their reaction to the world and events within. These I would see as more player driven, with a GM hook to point things in a direction. Otherwise, the setting provides the framework where the action takes place (such as a dungeon), the current goals may be defined by a minor episode-specific villain, but just as often in the game, it’s the dungeon itself. The process of generating that setting/dungeon can vary. That is, it doesn’t have to be pre-authored, and there may be things that occur that do relate to the driving motivations of the characters, but most of the time they serve as interesting stories and fleshing out the setting along with establishing their place within the setting, and ideally developing the characters and their relationships to each other. The tomb was this sort of situation. They decided they wanted to explore it, so they did.

Then there are episodes where I interject something (Red John) that specifically plays to one of the character’s driving motivations. These are points where I can take a stronger role is writing the story, because through whatever conflicts or other manipulation I interject, I’m actually driving the plot, or at least a higher percentage of it. Most of the time it’s using a similar approach to such TV shows, where answers may raise more questions (and I don’t necessarily know where those questions will lead).

Again, pre-authored vs improv, the process is not really relevant. In both cases, I can alter pre-authored material or not, take a greater control of the current events in the story, reveal secrets (previously known or unknown to me), whatever. The control over the story is fluid, although there are still rough boundaries of the type of content the players can introduce vs the GM. (This seems similar to what you describe regarding the bowl in the room, in that instead of declaring there was a bowl in the room, they asked if there was one and relied on you, the GM, to make that decision, whether by pre-authored material, random determination, or adding it on the fly, with none of those being exclusive.

I prefer to take as little control of the plot as possible, working by throwing out hooks to see what they choose as important. I don’t assume I know what they think is important, even if they’ve told me. All too often what I think and they think is important differs for various reasons.

Then when they engage with something, I provide the counterpoint, from as objective and logical approach as possible. They discover a smuggling ring and decide to try to interfere with it. Does the ring find out? What would they find out? How would they react? If this is a large operation, then they’d have some enforcers that might target the PCs. As the interference by the PCs increases, the response will too. If it continues long enough, it might escalate to a Valentine’s Day Massacre.

Boy, I would love to see that scenario play out with the PCs as the victims. Would they figure it out in time?

While that might seem like me driving the story (even a railroad), the reality is that under similar circumstances, things might escalate to that point naturally. In other words, the scenario at play is an assassination attempt against the party.

More importantly, while the scenario would be very difficult, I would only know the plan ahead of time, not the results. Most likely the PCs would foil the attempt before it even got that far. Regardless, they would have the opportunity to do so.

The objection that I think some others are making is the idea that the GM should be driving the plot via activities like introducing conflict, getting to where the action is, etc. I think those are important aspects of GMing and do have their place, and I do use them. But I don’t think they should be the primary approach, nor do I want the expectation that it is my responsibility to drive the dramatic story arc. I think they are valuable tools to be used along with many other tools to provide the best experience I can. Just like preparing something in advance to be used as is. Another tool to aid in producing a better experience.

Actually, producing is a term I like. In the music business you have some very hands-on producers, who actively shape the sound, and sometimes even the music of the band. In other cases, you have producers who view their job as simply to capture the sound and essence of what the band is doing. Not to be involved in the process of writing the music,
But to capture that music in the best way possible.

Both are valid approaches, and what works for one band won’t work for another. The tools available to them remain the same. And the amount of creative input between the band and the producer is fluid. The ratio of control over the music fluctuates, often through the course
Of a single song. Sometimes the ratio is more fixed.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I do not play Story Now/No Myth games but you have just described one of my games. That is why I think [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] is quite right when he says he plays a variation of both, sometimes switching between the two styles unconsciously and even within a period of just a few minutes.
I have to agree with this, too. Gaming Theory rightly wants to create classifications of techniques & agendas &c used in RPGs, whether by designers, GMs, or players. Where it goes pear-shaped is when we start putting whole systems, or individual players or DMs or their campaigns in exactly one of those classifications like each is a box and mutually exclusive. Then, to get it to go really, tragically, wrong, we start judging 'em for it.

Simon T. Vesper

First Post
Then, to get it to go really, tragically, wrong, we start judging 'em for it.

There's a difference between a subjective judgement and an objective one. Where so many of these conversations go wrong is conflating the two. It's possible to make an objective claim about a certain play style; and that's what we should do, but in a manner where we support our claims with reasoned thought and evidence.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer

First, I don’t subscribe to the general approach that many adventure designers go about their business. I often disagree with their approach to placement of secret doors for the same logical reason I’m questioning the ability of a Story Now approach to take into account. Many adventures, etc. are designed from a “game” approach, where the nature of what the designer might be cool takes precedence over what might logically apply. As I’ve stated before, I prefer to approach it from a more objective, world-building approach asking why a secret door would be someplace. Who built it and why, basically, not just because I think it would fit, or I want to make the dungeon less linear, or that it would work well here for the story of the PCs rather than the story of whoever built the place.

I feel the same way about the design and placement of most traps, and definitely in regards to puzzles.

I say “seemingly” because you state that you don’t insist, but then immediately respond with two paragraphs that say exactly what I’m saying you seem to insist.

I disagree with both statements. Because again, until the play occurs at the table, the placement of a secret door remains in question. The only real difference is that I’m leaning toward consistency and an internal logic within the setting vs. leaning towards something that might stretch the bounds of believability a bit (or a lot) for the sake of a dramatic moment. A sort of quality control that hopefully maintains an internal consistency. Not necessarily to inject my ideas, although that will happen as well.

The reality is that I do both. Where I believe we differ is that I believe that both have value within the context of the game, and as the GM I start from a place of impartial observer and prefer to let the drama take care of itself, driven by the players and their characters and their interactions, which will include interactions with the world around them. Where you seem to eschew the less dramatic, more mundane things, the in-between things, with the focus of the GM on ensuring that more drama happens. That is, if drama isn’t happening, then it’s the job of the GM to find the drama and make it happen.

From my perspective, it’s once again a question of goals. While I’d like to think that any game system can support both, it continues to appear that a Story Now approach does not or at least discourages it. Perhaps strongly.

During the course of the game, I prefer to limit my dramatic input to the really big moments. Something that really dramatically alters the character’s situation. They might be predetermined secrets or something that occurs in the moment, a reaction to the PCs at that point in time.

Outside of those moments, I like to allow the players and the game drive the dramatic moments.

I’d equate it to many TV dramas where most episodes are typical adventures. For example, the Mentalist where an episode is usually exploring the day-to-day aspects of their lives, mostly in regards to their profession, where the drama is between the PCs and their reaction to the world and events within. These I would see as more player driven, with a GM hook to point things in a direction. Otherwise, the setting provides the framework where the action takes place (such as a dungeon), the current goals may be defined by a minor episode-specific villain, but just as often in the game, it’s the dungeon itself. The process of generating that setting/dungeon can vary. That is, it doesn’t have to be pre-authored, and there may be things that occur that do relate to the driving motivations of the characters, but most of the time they serve as interesting stories and fleshing out the setting along with establishing their place within the setting, and ideally developing the characters and their relationships to each other. The tomb was this sort of situation. They decided they wanted to explore it, so they did.

Then there are episodes where I interject something (Red John) that specifically plays to one of the character’s driving motivations. These are points where I can take a stronger role is writing the story, because through whatever conflicts or other manipulation I interject, I’m actually driving the plot, or at least a higher percentage of it. Most of the time it’s using a similar approach to such TV shows, where answers may raise more questions (and I don’t necessarily know where those questions will lead).

Again, pre-authored vs improv, the process is not really relevant. In both cases, I can alter pre-authored material or not, take a greater control of the current events in the story, reveal secrets (previously known or unknown to me), whatever. The control over the story is fluid, although there are still rough boundaries of the type of content the players can introduce vs the GM. (This seems similar to what you describe regarding the bowl in the room, in that instead of declaring there was a bowl in the room, they asked if there was one and relied on you, the GM, to make that decision, whether by pre-authored material, random determination, or adding it on the fly, with none of those being exclusive.

I prefer to take as little control of the plot as possible, working by throwing out hooks to see what they choose as important. I don’t assume I know what they think is important, even if they’ve told me. All too often what I think and they think is important differs for various reasons.

Then when they engage with something, I provide the counterpoint, from as objective and logical approach as possible. They discover a smuggling ring and decide to try to interfere with it. Does the ring find out? What would they find out? How would they react? If this is a large operation, then they’d have some enforcers that might target the PCs. As the interference by the PCs increases, the response will too. If it continues long enough, it might escalate to a Valentine’s Day Massacre.

Boy, I would love to see that scenario play out with the PCs as the victims. Would they figure it out in time?

While that might seem like me driving the story (even a railroad), the reality is that under similar circumstances, things might escalate to that point naturally. In other words, the scenario at play is an assassination attempt against the party.

More importantly, while the scenario would be very difficult, I would only know the plan ahead of time, not the results. Most likely the PCs would foil the attempt before it even got that far. Regardless, they would have the opportunity to do so.

The objection that I think some others are making is the idea that the GM should be driving the plot via activities like introducing conflict, getting to where the action is, etc. I think those are important aspects of GMing and do have their place, and I do use them. But I don’t think they should be the primary approach, nor do I want the expectation that it is my responsibility to drive the dramatic story arc. I think they are valuable tools to be used along with many other tools to provide the best experience I can. Just like preparing something in advance to be used as is. Another tool to aid in producing a better experience.

Actually, producing is a term I like. In the music business you have some very hands-on producers, who actively shape the sound, and sometimes even the music of the band. In other cases, you have producers who view their job as simply to capture the sound and essence of what the band is doing. Not to be involved in the process of writing the music,
But to capture that music in the best way possible.

Both are valid approaches, and what works for one band won’t work for another. The tools available to them remain the same. And the amount of creative input between the band and the producer is fluid. The ratio of control over the music fluctuates, often through the course
Of a single song. Sometimes the ratio is more fixed.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I appreciate the sentiment behind your post - genuinely - but my issue with GM-heavy worldbuilding is not that it's done badly.

It's that I don't like it.

I won't reiterate why, as I feel I've probably done that enough in this thread. But I'm not saying that I just don't like it when it's badly done.

No, I get that entirely. I understand your preference and why you have it. No need for you to explain further.

I've not been critical of your preference, so much as I think some of the examples you've made to explain your preference have gone too far to try and prove your point, and they've become examples of "bad worldbuilding", and then many responses are really about that more so than about your preference.

Remove ads