Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

gyor

Legend
Well yeah, that was prior editions. Since 5e seems to be against taking anything away from PCs they will probably just handwave it or have a small sidebar about how you gain spells from a similar deity while in a different sphere.

I think back when Kalamar was a D&D world deities from one world had packs with another, so for example if a Priestess of Sharess visited Kalamar, the Vice Lord would grant her spells and if a priest of the Vice Lord visited Faerun she'd return the favour, which I funny because Sharess was CG and Vice Lord was CE. I don't remember where I read that.

Last edited by a moderator:

One thing I want to know, how do Divine Spellcasters/magic powers (aside from Divine Souls, who carry a tiny spark piece of a God within themselves) retain the ability to work when one leaves that deities sphere of influence. Say a Cleric of Torm goes to Ravnica a world that has never heard of Torm, how does he retain his ability to cast spells, channel divinity, and do the occasional miracle outside of a World where Torm is worshipped?

Well that is a thing I've been pondering and I do seem to remember in earlier editions that for clerics that did affect higher level spells. The solution being to start to take on the worship of another god/deity.

When I played in Kalamar I was following a FR deity and had no problem. Perhaps that was because of some pact between gods of different settings. Certainly it would seem to me that if the characters are going to find different ways to visit different settings and perhaps engage in trade or whatever the deities who are all more powerful than the folks running around on the Prime Material Plane should be able to visit other worlds as well. Perhaps they have pacts with the deities of those worlds or perhaps they are just known by different names on those different worlds. In any case as more travel between worlds happens those issues have to be addressed either by WotC or your DM running players through stories on these worlds. How was this addressed in Spelljammer?

Yaarel

He Mage
The GTA is huge and does include urban farms and Parks.

Yeah, my brother and I were visiting friends in Aurora, in York, in Toronto, and we marveled how the entire drive there was solid, solid, city.

An other thing we noticed about Toronto was how multicultural it was. There were many larger ethnic neighborhoods, from all over the world. Yet there was a feeling that none of them had hegemony. It was an egalitarian diversity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone know what's in the map pack? Fairly slim on the product info, just card tactical battlemaps?

As far as Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica Maps & Miscellany. They mentioned isometric maps of some areas of the city. All I could do is speculate about those being areas of interest in a planet-wide city although since we seem to be looking at adventure hooks for characters starting in one of the ten guilds with missions to accomplish. Some of those areas of interest might include areas specific to those or areas to meet contacts etc. I haven't looked at other map packs to know what is typical, nut whatever we get here is probably going to be similar to what they do for Dragon Heist. Perhaps someone has a better take.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You know, I'm both slowly warming up to this setting and still a little meh about it.

Like, all the talk about Jace and these powerful people running around.... meh, don't care.

The idea of ten "equal" governmental bodies vying for control and forging politics between them, and one looks like it is led by a technosphinx? That's cool and interesting.

Centaur, vampire, and Minotaur playable characters? Couldn't care less and really don't want. Dryad playable characters? Yes please, that's something I'd love to have.

Also, I would be so happy to see a finished version of the Spore Druid (as long as it wasn't crap) because that was such an amazing concept and I really want to make a character based off of it soon.

Really, I'm just torn about all this. Is it lazy just because they are taking an established world, or will there be enough awesome things that I'm going to be stoked reading it? I don't know yet.

Steve: Hey, Stan, I've got a great new idea for a superhero! It's a teenage kid in New York who's bitten by a radioactive spider!
Stan: Great! When does he leave New York?
Steve: No, he stays in New York.
Stan: Hmm, very limited idea. Pass.

Spoiler Alert: Spiderman leaves New York and goes into space in Avengers: Infinity War

Remove ads

Remove ads